nuchal fold at 21 weeks

xbabybumpx

Reaction score
hey. i noticed on my notes from my 21 week scan that amongst the fetal meaurements that they took, it also had the measurements of the nuchal fold and it was something like 3.1mm. im really confused as i had the nuchal test done at 12 weeks which it measured 1.5 and my bloods came back low risk. the reason im worried is ive never heard anyone on here mention that on their 20 week scan notes they had measured the nuchal fold. and i thought it wasint supposed to be measured after 13/14 weeks. does everyone follow? :shrug:xox

Nuchal fold measurements are only accurate for diagnostics between 11ish and 14ish weeks. After that the baby develops its lymph system more and fluid (if present) drains more. Also your baby is bigger now. Not sure why they measured it at all, but shouldn't mean anything at this point.

I haven't paid attention to this after my NT scan, but I know that the NT measurement grows with your bubs so it's nothing to worry about :) Your mw would have told you if something was off hon.

I agree with bky: nothing to worry about at this stage, not even sure why they measured it!

i think thats why i freaked out a bit because they arent supposed to measure it at this stage xox

I had the fold measured at my 20 week scan - it was high at 12 weeks and gave me a high risk for DS and it was significant that it was normal at 20 weeks - although as has been said it isnt used as an indicator for DS at this stage. Its just one of the measurments they take at 20 weeks along with the other measurements of baby as it can be used to indicate other things (in the same way as a short/long femur length etc can indicate things at 20 weeks) .... it would have been mentioned to you if this was the case though in exactly the same way as if one of the other measurements had been skewed xx

it says on my 21 week scan notes that the nuchal fold for my baby was 4.

thanks saffy! glad to know im not the only who had this done at 21 weeks! xox

Mine was 3.1 at 20+4, ...nothing to worry about x

Mine was measured at 20 weeks also, and i am very low risk for downs from bloods and my previous 12 week scan. I think its just something they measure as a routine thing but may not always mention it.

I found this thread through google oddly because at my scan today, the sonographer asked if I'd had the combined test and what it came back at (I told her it came back low risk) but then started thinking 'well why is she asking that?' Then she said 'nuchal fold is 4mm' at which point I said 'is it normal for it to increase between 13 weeks and now?' and she said to me that the nuchal fold thickness is a different measurement to what they do for the combined test which is nuchal translucency. I searched on google as I wanted to see what other people's nuchal folds were at this stage in pregnancy.

My nuchal translucency at 13 weeks, was 2.1mm.

I don't think she meant to worry me - she also asked me if I was seeing a consultant (because I have a high BMI I am), and I thought 'OMG why does she need to know that?!'

it's not a marker 2 look out 4 at this stage. maybe it is standard procedure in your hospital. don't worry about it. it's between 11-14wks when the measurement counts.

Hello..

I've done a lot of research on the internet because my baby had a high nuchal measurement at 11 weeks. I'm sure its not cause for concern if its below 3mm at 12 weeks and 6mm at 20 weeks as it grows in proportion with bubs, so I would definately say ur okay :thumbup:

hi ladies. thank you for all your replies. im now worried about something else(suprise suprise) i had a re-scan today as when i had my 21 week scan baby was all curled up in a ball so they couldint check her heart properly. anyway i had another scan today and the sonographer said to me that my amniotic fluid was in the lower range, it measured 7.8cm. im going back for another scan in 4 weeks. she said it was nothing to worry about but yet she kept talking about the fluid during my scan! anyone else been told this? xox

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->