Nuchal scan

juicyd

Reaction score
Hi ladies I'm 11 weeks with baby number 2 and having the Michael scan on Tuesday I didn't have one with my first as I didn't know I was pregnant until 14 weeks as for the first two months I had periods.. So the question is is it the scan the same as what you would normally have? Or is there a difference.

They should look for major abnormalities and primary indicators of trisomy. The main bit is measuring the nuchal fold, which is the fluid behind baby's neck. A large measurement can indicate Downs Syndrome, so they would then suggest further screening.

Some areas just do the scan, others do a scan + blood test and combine the results to give you the risk of baby having one of the trisomies.

Over here in NI they don't offer the nuchal and just check there's one baby and its about the right size *sigh* My dating scan lasted literally 20 seconds. Paying £200+ quid for a private nuchal next week due to our history!

I had mine on monday and the scan its self is mainly checking measurements. Our size was 1.5mm when we looked on the screen although she didnt tell us that, ive read anything over 3.5mm is high risk but some do a combined blood test and work it out with your age. They said they call within 4 working days if we are high risk so hoping they wont call now. They said if its low we will get a letter in 2 weeks with the results. Good luck x

They should look for major abnormalities and primary indicators of trisomy. The main bit is measuring the nuchal fold, which is the fluid behind baby's neck. A large measurement can indicate Downs Syndrome, so they would then suggest further screening.

Some areas just do the scan, others do a scan + blood test and combine the results to give you the risk of baby having one of the trisomies.

Over here in NI they don't offer the nuchal and just check there's one baby and its about the right size *sigh* My dating scan lasted literally 20 seconds. Paying £200+ quid for a private nuchal next week due to our history!

Thanks for the info as the midwife didn't really tell me much even though I told her that I didn't have a previous one. I can't believe you have to pay that's a joke and its very expensive but I think I would pay to if I had to.. Good luck next week mine is Tuesday.. xxx

I had mine on monday and the scan its self is mainly checking measurements. Our size was 1.5mm when we looked on the screen although she didnt tell us that, ive read anything over 3.5mm is high risk but some do a combined blood test and work it out with your age. They said they call within 4 working days if we are high risk so hoping they wont call now. They said if its low we will get a letter in 2 weeks with the results. Good luck x

Thanks for the reply I've also got the blood test form so it will be combined to thanks for the info thanks again xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->