Number one shaped cake

keese22

Reaction score
Has anyone eve made a number once shaped birthday cake? I was going to use a standard Victoria sponge recipe and bake it in a rectangle tin, cut it in half and then use a template to cut it out in the shape of a one. Only problem is I have no idea how long to bake it for. I figured it would take longer than a Victoria sponge as its deeper but really I don't have a clue. Any tips?

I would be tempted to do two seperate bakes so that they are as deep as a victoria sponge and then you can just layer them and they will cook at the same time as the recipe.

I always find times for Victoria cake are well off, perhaps its just my oven. I time it for what the recipe says and then just poke it with a knife- if anything comes off it still needs more time. Once the knife comes back dry its ready.

I've just made a number 2 shaped cake and I made a Madeira as I find the structure a bit easier to work with without having to sandwich it. I found that once I would have cut it a rectangle cake would have been too small so I made 2 cakes and cut them to shape.

If I were you I would make the rectangle cake then cut the downward line the full length of the cake then use the other strips for the bottom horizontal line. Apologies if that makes absolutely no sense!

I made a madeira cake and just like the pp described. Made a big rectangle sized one. If you're going to put icing on top (I used fondant) then a madeira will stand up to the weight better than a Victoria sponge.

My son had a one shaped cake for his birthday we made it from 2 rectangular cakes, one full and one cut to make the angles of it. It was a bit tricky sticking it all together but it did look good all finished iced and decoreated. For his second we hired from a local party shop a two shaped tin for a few quid, it came with full instructions for baking so might be worth looking into if you've anywhere similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->