Nuts?!

Vicyi

Me & Mine
Reaction score
I've had a major craving for fruit & nut choc n been eating it without even thinking, then yesterday i went food shopping and commented to OH that i fancied peanuts but cant coz im pregnant and he replied with 'well you've been eating fruit and nut' i hadnt even realised!! :blush: Obv i knew i was eating nuts but hadnt even made the connection!! lol :dohh:
Do you think its ok to eat nuts in pregnancy? I dont have ANY known allergies in my family except codine (my mum) but my brother did had asthma when he was younger...
What do you laldies think?

Yes, absolutely no problem eating nuts, even peanuts.

NHS advice:

Nuts
If you want to eat peanuts or foods containing peanuts (such as peanut butter) during pregnancy, you can do so as part of a healthy balanced diet, unless you're allergic to them or your health professional advises you not to.

The government previously advised women to avoid eating peanuts during pregnancy if there was a history of allergy (such as asthma, eczema, hayfever or food allergy) in their baby’s immediate family, but this advice has now changed.

The latest research shows that there's no clear evidence that eating peanuts during pregnancy affects the chances of your baby developing a peanut allergy.

If you have any queries, talk to your GP, midwife or your health visitor.

I hear that it can cause nut allergy if you have allergy or asthma in the family? Is that just another rumour? lol x

Also what about crabsticks and prawn cocktail? I asked MW but she wasnt much help. lol

I hear that it can cause nut allergy if you have allergy or asthma in the family? Is that just another rumour? lol x

They did think that but there have been loads of studies on this and there is no evidence that this is the case. The Government only changed it's mind this August.

The seafood issue is more about food poisoning than allergy, unless you are allergic yourself. I'm personally steering clear but I don't think it's the end of the world if you have the odd well cooked prawn.

I think the nuts in chocolate fruit & nut are hazelnuts so you should be fine with them. It's peanuts only that they recommend to avoid but only then if there's a history of peanut and other allergies in the family.

NHS advice:

Nuts
If you want to eat peanuts or foods containing peanuts (such as peanut butter) during pregnancy, you can do so as part of a healthy balanced diet, unless you're allergic to them or your health professional advises you not to.

Don't you just love the NHS - don't eat something you're allergic to!

I've got a nut allergy, and Asthma, and my parents didn't touch nuts =) If it's gonna happen, it will. =) You'll be fineeee.

Nuts are really healthy for you. I eat nuts in pregnancy, good source of protein.

i love that choc with a madness its funny i agree i panic about the nuts but cant help it

NHS advice:

Nuts

Don't you just love the NHS - don't eat something you're allergic to!

I also love it when a packet of peanuts says 'Caution -may contain peanuts'!

My midwife actually encouraged me to eat nuts. She said if there are no known allergies amongst you or your OH, then there shouldn't be a problem. A few people may blame their kids' allergies on the fact that they ate nuts during the pregnancy, and I wouldn't argue with them, but at the same time, doctors have done studies on mums that refrain from eating nuts (despite there being no known allergies), and some of their babies have been born with an intolerance/allergy.

It's your choice at the end of the day. I'm eating nuts, and I don't have any feeling that it will be bad for my baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->