Oatmeal or Rice cereals?

missjess

Mummy of a prince
Reaction score
So you girls that started their babies on cereal around 9-10 weeks, which one did you start with? Josh is going to be 10 weeks old on sunday and I'm thinking of starting to give him a little bit of cereals as he drinks A LOT of milk.

I was just wondering which one is the best.

rice. I didn't give oatmeal for awhile after the rice.

I thought we had to wait until they were 16 weeks ? x

I've just started Bella on Hipp Organic baby rice

why would you be starting them on cereal so early?

My HV advised to as she was only going an hour and a half in between feeds. She has very watered down baby rice made with her milk and only a very small amount

My HV advised to as she was only going an hour and a half in between feeds. She has very watered down baby rice made with her milk and only a very small amount

Same here... He drinks so much milk and feeds very often now... So a bit of cereals will help. His pediatrician said if he drinks more than 40 onz in a 24h period, to start cereals.

I tried giving Erica baby rice a couple days ago as well. I wasn't going to until 4 months, but I asked her pediatrician and they said that she should be fine at this age. Shes not a big eater, but thats kinda part of the problem. She will only drink 4oz at a time, and she hasn't gained that much weight. I've only given her like less than a tablespoon tho, two times. We're gonna try again tonight before her bath. But def start with rice.

Amanda Noah still only eats 4 oz at each feeding too, I worry it's to little also. How much does she weigh now? When I asked my doctor she said nothing to worry about thats a good amount for his weight. But he's been on that amount for a long time!

Hmm, I'm a little confused now. All the advise I've been getting says no solids whatsoever before 6 months, and if you're breastfeeding, even 8 or 9 months is not too late. And then you can start with cereal.

Just went to a La Leche League meeting last week and they said babies can't eat anything apart from milk before the reflex of pushing anything put into their mouth out with their tongue is gone, which is around 4 months.

What are the benefits in giving cereal so early? I don't understand why drinking lots of milks should lead to giving cereal. I would have thought the more milk, the less need to give him anything else? Educate me, ladies! :)

Amanda Noah still only eats 4 oz at each feeding too, I worry it's to little also. How much does she weigh now? When I asked my doctor she said nothing to worry about thats a good amount for his weight. But he's been on that amount for a long time!

She now weighs 12lbs but when we talked about it she was 11 something. And dropped the percentile she was in. I think I worry kinda cause she was 8lbs10oz when born, so to have only gained like 3lbs in 3 months, kinda worried me. It seems like a lot of babies that we know gained a lot more weight than that. Are you thinking about giving Noah cereal soon?

We gave Erica cereal again tonight and she ate a whole tablespoon. Hopefully she will sleep a little longer!

Jess, have you tried giving him cereal yet? How did it go?

She now weighs 12lbs but when we talked about it she was 11 something. And dropped the percentile she was in. I think I worry kinda cause she was 8lbs10oz when born, so to have only gained like 3lbs in 3 months, kinda worried me. It seems like a lot of babies that we know gained a lot more weight than that. Are you thinking about giving Noah cereal soon?

We gave Erica cereal again tonight and she ate a whole tablespoon. Hopefully she will sleep a little longer!

Jess, have you tried giving him cereal yet? How did it go?

We are trying today, I'll let you know! x

good luck Jess I started Ebonii around that time on rice too and shes never looked back :cloud9:

Just went to a La Leche League meeting last week and they said babies can't eat anything apart from milk before the reflex of pushing anything put into their mouth out with their tongue is gone, which is around 4 months.

Colton can push the food back with his tongue and swallow it. Even gets excited and opens his mouth before the spoon even gets there. He's been eating off of a spoon since he was three months old.

Good luck Jess. I'd suggest a big and burp cloth, Erica seems to be a VERY messy eater LOL. We gave Erica her cereal last night, and she slept from 9:30pm until 5:30am which is like a record for her aside from when she was sick. Hope Josh does the same for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->