OB wont do a blood draw?

Mrs Dragonfly

Raising our toddler
Reaction score
With DD as soon as I got a bfp my dr had me in for a blood draw to confirm. With my second pregnancy that ended in a loss in August they did blood testing as soon as I got my bfp. But this time around I called me dr all excited, told them my bfp and asked if I could come to the lab and they said there was no point.

I'm confused why they did last time but not this time?

I'm from England and here they don't routinely do blood draws because there really is no point unless your encountering problems, urine tests are so accurate these days it's just a waste of resources.

Big hugs but please don't be worried :) xx

Thank you :) I'm trying to just be blissful right now, on top of nerves :winkwink:

Hi I just found out I was pregnant on Halloween and called my doctor that Thursday after testing a few more times lol and I only have to make an appt for 6 weeks. I'm not being sent for blood work either.

I wish they would take our blood! It makes these first few weeks a *little* easier, at least I think it does haha. I have to wait until closer to 8 weeks in the first week of December.

8 weeks is when I go for a sonagram. So I feel your pain with waiting.

I didn't get any blood taken until my first appointment at 7 weeks.

No idea, but here is isn't standard to do a doctor's office blood test. We just do urine tests at home unless that is inconclusive. We do get blood drawn at our first visit, but it's only for genetic testing, iron levels, blood count, etc. nothing really to do with the pregnancy itself.

If you are in the U.S., my guess is he either isn't paid for it under your insurance (it's not a reimbursable service, so why do it?) or he already has a long wait for appointments and he doesn't want to take up an appointment that could be used for someone else who needs something more urgently when it's something you can do at home.

I'm in the US and I've been pregnant 5 times but they've never drawn my blood to check numbers except when I miscarried in July to make sure it's going back to 0. I used to get confused on here bc I had never heard of such a thing and everyone here seemed to have numbers to compare. I've had several different Drs for my pregnancies and been on different insurances and still nothing. :shrug:

Everywhere is different so I suppose it shouldn't be that surprising to me. I know our insurance covers the blood draw and I've never had it done in an actual appointment, it was just popping in and out of the lab :shrug: Oh well, just means I'll keep peeing on sticks :haha:

That's what I did! :haha: peed on them until I was around 8 weeks. I almost miss it. :rofl:

I only have one left so I'll have to run out tomorrow and get more dollar store ones:haha: Today my test line was darker than the control, I got so excited!

Peeing on sticks is no joke, serious addiction :haha: Did your lines show up until 8 weeks? I remember reading somewhere sometimes they stop showing up at some point.

They started doing the hook affect thing and that's when I stopped. I wanted to see it happen for myself. :haha: I had just bought 50 cheapies from Amazon when we started trying and fell pregnant right away after my MC so ended up not needing them. So I figured I may as well test a bunch and watch the changes. In the end I think I only spent $14 on the cheapies and than $20 or so on a two pack of digitals with the week indicator just bc I wanted the picture of it in words. :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->