Obama to expand sick leave for maternity?

M

MamaLoCo

I just saw this headline fly by but don't have time to research it because I'm getting ready for work.

It just read, "Happening Now" with that headline.
They said something about mandating a 6 week paid leave.

Is this true? Does this apply to everyone? Will it be in effect when I deliver in August? All I get right now is the federal or state mandated FMLA of 12 weeks unpaid. If I can get 6 weeks PAID, wow what a big difference that would make!!

As it is now, I'm already trying to figure out if I would be able to take FMLA but still work maybe one or two days a week to keep everything in order, make a little money, and ensure I don't have my position taken over!

oh, man, that would be wonderful to have! I'm due in August as well and I only planned on taking 8 weeks because of the not being paid issue. If we get 6 weeks paid maternity leave, I might take 12 weeks off! haha. I'm going to have to read up on this. I work for a real estate company and all of the agents are 1099 workers, so I don't know if that effects maternity pay. Although, I am a w-2 worker. Thanks for posting this! :)

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/2015/01/14/253143/obama-will-offer-paid-parental.html

This website explains it a little bit. It would be great if this passed by August, but these things take a long time to get moving!

I just read a headline and it said federal government employees :(

This would be great, 1 year would be even better. I hear some countries do 1 year. From the article it says "federal workers".....so there will be limits. Hope it goes thru....

After reading the article, I don't understand why they are limiting it to apply to only federal government workers. Why not to any full time employee, government or private? I mean I know it's a start...

That's what I thought too when I first read the headline of the article, but it goes in to a little bit more detail at the beginning of the article:

"WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama on Thursday will order federal agencies to provide at least six weeks of paid parental leave to employees and call on cities, states and Congress to provide similar leave to millions of other working Americans."

I wish he would mandate it for every state and not just push for states to do this! I live in Michigan, so hopefully they pick this up!! Even if it doesn't happen before we all give birth, it would still be great to have for other women and If we decide to have more children.

After reading the article, I don't understand why they are limiting it to apply to only federal government workers. Why not to any full time employee, government or private? I mean I know it's a start...

In order to do this, they would have to adjust the budget by cutting something else to pay for this. I'm sure they could if they seriously looked at the budget!

I am moving back to usa in 4 weeks and think I'm crazy sometimes! Here in Australia you get $641 per week for 18 weeks after having a baby! That's minimum wage here! It's really good. You just have to have worked for at least 12 months before having the baby. In usa, I know I won't get anything. :nope:

I agree it definitely shouldn't be just for federal government and selected states!!

That's what I thought too when I first read the headline of the article, but it goes in to a little bit more detail at the beginning of the article:

"WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama on Thursday will order federal agencies to provide at least six weeks of paid parental leave to employees and call on cities, states and Congress to provide similar leave to millions of other working Americans."

I wish he would mandate it for every state and not just push for states to do this! I live in Michigan, so hopefully they pick this up!! Even if it doesn't happen before we all give birth, it would still be great to have for other women and If we decide to have more children.

Obama is not a supreme ruler, he can't make rules for everyone. He can use executive orders to change rules for federal workers and contractors, but congress makes the laws for the US, not the president. Cities, and states make their own laws too. That is why he said the bolded part above.

Obama is not a supreme ruler, he can't make rules for everyone. He can use executive orders to change rules for federal workers and contractors, but congress makes the laws for the US, not the president. Cities, and states make their own laws too. That is why he said the bolded part above.

most definitely he's not a or "the" supreme ruler. Most definitely he can influence some conditions tho. Dont think no one is insinuating he is. As I mentioned some countries get an entire year! Congress, or whoever really should pass this one.

I don't know how you guys do it, I think its cruel to send parents back to work so early. What do you do if you have your baby premature and they are still in the NICU? We used to get 9 months paid (at 55% of your regular pay) I believe, and now mothers get a year. You are able to split the time so that Mom can take part of the year and so can Dad. This helps if Mom makes more money and wants to go back to work to earn more for the family.

I really hope that gets passed for your whole country. It's expensive as it is got you just to give birth! We don't have to pay anything in Canada to give birth.

In California we get 4 weeks before and 6 weeks after (8 if it's a csection) and although your work doesn't pay you disability does and it's usually around 2/3rd your income.

In Ga you get 12 weeks unpaid. You would use before or after. Still think this isn't enough

most definitely he's not a or "the" supreme ruler. Most definitely he can influence some conditions tho. Dont think no one is insinuating he is. As I mentioned some countries get an entire year! Congress, or whoever really should pass this one.

I understand that, but many people have replied "Why doesn't he do it for everyone!??" well, quite frankly, he can't.

Quite honestly, he can't influence conditions very well. With strong Republican Congress and a Democratic President in our current political climate, there is not much he can do.

Congress, on the other hand, need to get off their a**es and do something about this. But who will pay? The government? Force employers to? Quite frankly I think it is appalling that we have no mandatory paid leave. But 6 weeks? Eh...It is better than nothing I suppose. But come on, get a little closer to the rest of the developed world...

Congress is not known for their get up and go either...I'm not a huge fan of our political system right now.

Maternity leave and better working conditions (allowing flex time etc) for mothers have been on the President's agenda for a while, but only recently has a bigger push been made to enact change. I really hope they succeed because its really a disgrace how little leave (and little pay) we get here. I'm really lucky that my company is so generous. I got full pay for 12 weeks. I still wasn't ready to come back then though.

I understand that, but many people have replied "Why doesn't he do it for everyone!??" well, quite frankly, he can't.

Quite honestly, he can't influence conditions very well. With strong Republican Congress and a Democratic President in our current political climate, there is not much he can do.

Congress, on the other hand, need to get off their a**es and do something about this. But who will pay? The government? Force employers to? Quite frankly I think it is appalling that we have no mandatory paid leave. But 6 weeks? Eh...It is better than nothing I suppose. But come on, get a little closer to the rest of the developed world...

Congress is not known for their get up and go either...I'm not a huge fan of our political system right now.

Yeah your right :)
the crazy thing about is, if they truly wanted too, they could. I'm not a fan of the political system at all, so much uncertainty so much unfairness. Look how long it tool for this healthcare bill, which still isn't free!

Maternity leave and better working conditions (allowing flex time etc) for mothers have been on the President's agenda for a while, but only recently has a bigger push been made to enact change. I really hope they succeed because its really a disgrace how little leave (and little pay) we get here. I'm really lucky that my company is so generous. I got full pay for 12 weeks. I still wasn't ready to come back then though.

yet its only for federal employees. All woman who work full time or even have worked a significant amount should get a premium package (lol) for an entire year!

Yeah your right :)
the crazy thing about is, if they truly wanted too, they could. I'm not a fan of the political system at all, so much uncertainty so much unfairness. Look how long it tool for this healthcare bill, which still isn't free!

You have no idea. I work in taxes right now, I think the s**t is going to hit the fan on the ACA when people start doing their taxes. It's estimated about 1 million people will owe penalties on their taxes this year or something...and my premiums are going up and up and my coverage is going down and down. I had a healthcare exchange (ACA) plan in 2014, it was cheaper and my copays were lower as well as my out of pocket max was higher and my deductibles were lower. This year, my deductibles went up, copays went up, out of pocket max went up, and premiums went up. Don't even get me started...

My husband always jokes about moving to another country to have our kids hahaha but seriously, you get 12 weeks unpaid leave per year. So if you take time off during your pregnancy and you don't have sick or vacation time then you already start having days deducted from that 12 weeks. When I was pregnant with my daughter I was very sick, I was high risk, and not only used my 5 days vacation but also a good chunk of my FMLA time. I had to go back to work 5 weeks after having her bc my FMLA was up and I would have lost my job. I wasn't ready but I had no choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->