Obgyn pressing hard on belly during 14 week visit

Nadia Mak

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I need some support and reassurance. I am 14 weeks pregnant. I had some pretty severe pain on my right lower abdomen all day few days ago. I came in to see my obgyn today. Its a big practice so this is my first time seeing him. I really liked the doc over all but when he examined my pain he was pressing so hard on the belly that now I am very concerned. He presses in the groin area first trying to see if I would feel the same pain as he thinks it is my round ligament. Also, pressed on both sides of my uterus showing me where the uterus is and where round ligament connects to it. Then he moved my belly to the right telling me I can do that when have pain as it will help relieve it as well as laying on the right. That looked scary and I doubt I will be moving my belly :). Anyways when he was palpating my round ligament he was pressing pretty hard and very deep. Also he pressed hard when examining my appendix to rule that out. Then he pressed all around my belly with slightly less pressure but still uncomfortable. I am not in any pain after visit but very scared now thinking that he could have hurt the baby or broke something or ripped placenta! All the crazy things going through my head right now! He did do doppler and HR is fine. But how do I stop worrying he didn't damage the baby :(. Is it normal for them to perform exams like this. I want to add I did like the doc and he is probably close to 65-70 yrs old, so I am sure had lots of yrs of experience behind his belt. However this is a new practice for me as we moved and I had to transfer and I am just meeting all of these doctors! Thank you guys!

It is pretty normal for them to press hard sometimes or it can feel that way especially if you're not used to it. You shouldn't have to worry though, the baby is pretty well protected. The uterus is a giant muscle of protection. It would take a huge amount of force like a car accident or a dangerous fall to affect the baby. That's not to say though that you still shouldn't be cautious but as far as a medical exam is concerned, chances are everything is okay.

Last edited:
Yes this sounds normal. However it is unfortunate that he did not "read" your discomfort and choose to back off, instead it sounds like he got more aggressive about touching you trying to make you comfortable somehow??? sucky!

Yes this sounds normal. However it is unfortunate that he did not "read" your discomfort and choose to back off, instead it sounds like he got more aggressive about touching you trying to make you comfortable somehow??? sucky!

He was trying to push on areas where I said I had severe pain before. Today I had no pain so he was trying to replicate the pain i guess. Also, was checking for inflamed appendix. I assume this testing requires hard pressure. But yes its very uncomfortable and scary. I honestly wouldn't want anyone pressing in my belly again. I guess next time i will say that. I did insist on US and he did it after palpating the belly. All was good but I am still worried!

They do tend to have to press quite hard. At my midwife and scan appointments they always pressed hard too. It hurt but I guess they know what they are doing and the baby is very well protected in there :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->