off topic...doctors/dentists vent!

Destiny08

Reaction score
Ugh. So little back story, I have Suttons Disease II which basically means my whole life I have suffered from unexplained mouth ulcers. And can often leave me in a fair amount of pain, unable to eat or speak.
It has gotten progressively worse and less bearable over the last 5 years or so. When I was 18 I went to a dentist and was told my wisdom teeth were starting to come out, which combined with suttons disease, causes more ulcers.

So as I said theyve been getting worse! To the point where a few days ago I was left in agony, crying and DH convinced me to go see my GP. The last time I had a GP look at it was 3 years ago, and their response was 'oh some people are just prone to ulcers' so with the next 2 GPs and this one, I would just go in, say I am prone to them and get my mouthwash prescription.

So I went to my GP, who immediately went 'oh you have oral thrush'. Turns out my wisdom teeth coming through caused the thrush...5 years ago. Which doesnt actually cause the ulcers, but it makes them worse, and makes them happen more often and more widespread. So that explains why theyve been getting worse.

She said the main symptom was a white furry looking tongue. Which I have had literally as long as I can remember...which shows how long I have had the thrush. And now I have anti fungal medicine.

but as happy as I am that I have a result, and a cure! Im SO mad that the dr I asked didnt even bother to look, and the 3 or 4 dentists I have seen (1 of which was a month ago) said nothing...seriously. I have been in agonising pain, because nobody thought to say something and just brushed it off as 'oh you're just prone to them'

Grr

But! Now I have hope yay! And hopefully the pain will be a lot more bearable and less often in future!

That's ridiculous! A dentist of all people should have known about oral thrush, I'm pretty sure it would have been a basic thing for them to diagnose!
I hope you're feeling better soon and in less pain. :hugs:

So glad that you are getting proper care now, but yes oh so frustrating.

I have heard that Tea Tree Oil can help with mouth ulcers caused by canker sores, and I believe it is an antifungal agent as well - might be something else to try in the future.

I have also heard Coconut oil works although I have no idea if it is true:

coconut oil works on both to change all of that. I put a spoonful of solid oil in my mouth, let it melt over the sore, and swish it around my mouth for several seconds before swallowing. Coconut oil is a natural anti-inflammatory. It reduces the swelling that causes these sores to rub against teeth more often, and it soothes the pain. Coconut oil happens to also be antibacterial and antiviral, helping to heal those canker sores faster. I did this several times a day and two days later my sore was gone. - See more at: https://www.sunwarrior.com/news/coconut-oil-for-canker-sores/#sthash.dfPWp5uo.dpuf

So glad that you are getting proper care now, but yes oh so frustrating.

I have heard that Tea Tree Oil can help with mouth ulcers caused by canker sores, and I believe it is an antifungal agent as well - might be something else to try in the future.

I have also heard Coconut oil works although I have no idea if it is true:

coconut oil works on both to change all of that. I put a spoonful of solid oil in my mouth, let it melt over the sore, and swish it around my mouth for several seconds before swallowing. Coconut oil is a natural anti-inflammatory. It reduces the swelling that causes these sores to rub against teeth more often, and it soothes the pain. Coconut oil happens to also be antibacterial and antiviral, helping to heal those canker sores faster. I did this several times a day and two days later my sore was gone. - See more at: https://www.sunwarrior.com/news/coconut-oil-for-canker-sores/#sthash.dfPWp5uo.dpuf

Thanks for the input :) but trust me, I've tried everything lol multivitamins, more specific vitamins, tea tree oil, an array of mouthwashes, coconut oil, a bunch of other oils! Things like bonjela bought over the counter, things like bonjela that are prescribed, corticosteroids, salt water, plain salt..the list goes on. Thats the main symptom of suttons disease. There's no specific cause, and no specific cure. Ive had it all my life, and will have it for the rest if my life, but im just glad there's now a reason for why it has recently been becoming unbearablr!
:)

poor you!!!!
i used to suffer terribly with mouth ulcers when stressed , it was hereditory from my dad!
I totally sympathise with you, best of luck getting better soon!!!
and yes...that was awful what they did, terrible!
xx

First I want to say I feel so bad for you, I have seen thrush several times in my career and I know it's no fun. But I do want to mention that erupting wisdom teeth do not cause thrush. Thrust is basically a yeast infection in your mouth, Candida albicans is the bacteria that everyone has in their oral cavity, but when your immune system doesn't keep growth in check, that's what causes thrush. Stress is a huge factor, and being that you are constantly in pain with apthous ulcers I'm sure that didn't help the thrush either! If the GP or DDS said your thrush was caused soley because of your wisdom teeth you might want a second opinion, although if you are getting some kind of relief now you may not care at this point haha.

First I want to say I feel so bad for you, I have seen thrush several times in my career and I know it's no fun. But I do want to mention that erupting wisdom teeth do not cause thrush. Thrust is basically a yeast infection in your mouth, Candida albicans is the bacteria that everyone has in their oral cavity, but when your immune system sn't keep growth in check, that's what causes thrush. Stress is a huge factor, and being that you are constantly in pain with apthous ulcers I'm sure that didn't help the thrush either! If the GP or DDS said your thrush was caused soley because of your wisdom teeth you might want a second opinion, although if you are getting some kind of relief now you may not care at this point haha.

Thanks :) it wasnt solely my wisdom teeth. Essentially the candida albicans grew out of control as a result of 'mouth trauma' (ie wisdom teeth erupting) for most people it wouldnt count as trauma, but combined with my suttons disease, i had(and still do) have ulcers around my wisdom teeth constantly. I probably also got sick around the same time (had a really bad chest infection right before my final exams (ie stressful time too lol)) and all those things combined caused the thrush :) it was just the wisdom teeth that kickstarted it haha
my main gripe was simply that that was 5 years ago lol and nobody I have seen since then said anything, even though its obvious! (Now that I know thats what the white tongue means lol. I thought some people just had white tongues :shrug:)

No relief as of yet :( as my anti fungal medicine doesnt target the ulcers that are already there. But l can see the edges of my tongue starting to clear up! So im hoping in a couple of weeks (GP said the anti fungal will take about 10 days to work and the ulcers will probably take another week or 2) I'll start to feel a difference!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->