OH Wants A Dog? Need Your Advice!!

Louisa K

Reaction score
Hi Ladies..

My OH really wants a dog! He keeps saying things like,

"I remember when I was little I loved growing up with a dog"

"How nice would it be if we had a family dog"

"Louis would love a doggie" ect...

But I'm worried!! I love dogs and I to had a family dog who I love and she was and is still a big part of our family...

But I'm worried about having a dog around Louis. Will I ever be able to put him down without constantly watching out for the dog, will he be able to use his play mat EVER AGAIN, will the dog be to much with a baby, to much hard work??

I would love to here if you have a dog, what is he/she like with you LO?

It's really up to you :hugs: Do you think you can handle a dog and the baby?

As for the the dog being around the baby, you're going to have to teach him/her how to be around Louis. It will be a lot of work in the beginning, especially if you get a puppy. But if you're willing to put the time towards it then you should be ok. I'm sure it would be rewarding for the entire family too.

But if you think the time isn't right, waiting a couple of years won't hurt. Because even if Louis is 2,3 etc. The puppy will still grow up with him for the most part. :D

I am a fan of dogs but I have to say when you first get them they are work. You should only consider it if you really want one (assuming it will be you with it all day), otherwise it will be a toll for you to look after it. It doesnt matter whether it is an adult or puppy, they still have to learn about your rules. This is just my opinion, but a friend of mine got one because her OH wanted it and resented everything she had to do for it. The poor thing was confined to one room for most of the day until she sold it when he was at work!! I hope you make the decision that is right for youxx Good luck.

Maybe wait until he is 2years old.He wont have memories of the dog now anyways,they barely remember their last meal.

I would probably wait tbh. I've got 2 dogs, but they were here first lol. I tend to keep Kaya and the dogs separate at the moment as Kaya's not old enough to understand not to bother them and she's into everything. I take them for walks with Kaya in the buggy and they all enjoy that but it is a lot of work. Also, if you got a puppy you would have to house train it and most rescues won't home a dog with a young baby.

I finally allowed my OH to get a dog when my kids were 4 and 5. I thought that they'd appreciate it more plus I didn't want one any sooner as my hands were full enough as it was.

My brother and sister in law have a golden retriever, who is very boisterous and they are thinking of trying for a family next year. They came to visit us recently and my sis in law, having seen how much time a little baby takes up, literally sait there and wailed "How the hell am I going to look after a baby and George (the dog)"

I always said that as soon as we had kids and I was at home all the time we would get a dog - now having experienced what a military manouver it is to get out of the house before midday, I´ve changed my mind. I would wait a bit until your LO is a bit older.

i have a dog and although ive had her for 4yrs now its doesnt make any difference. she is both kids's best friend and i just keep her seperate from callum when hes crawling about. she stands and lets him pull her ears.

if you think you can cope with a baby and a dog then go ahead and get one. Mind u nicole was about 18mths when i got sasha.

Cute as dogs may be, you have a little un and I think your concerns far outweigh any benefits at the moment. Remember it's getting colder....doggies need regular walks and not just being let in the garden to "do their business" as my friend does with her dog:hissy::dohh:

Also, doggies feet on the carpet where little un is gonna be playing etc, hmm....you know what their feet have been standing in:rofl:.

I'd like one but will have to be when my youngest is at least 3 or 4 I reckon. We used to have a rabbit....gawd, that was enough responsibility with a baby too. I felt we couldn't give bunny enough attention so rehomed him with some other floppy-eared friends:happydance:

It's your decision hunny, don't let other half persuade you unless he's gonna take full-responsibility for it (god....it's like having an extra kid sometimes isn't it?:rofl:)

LO and our Chessie "Mack":

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/cheymeister/week8031.jpg

LO and our Papillon "Bogey":

https://www.ourshippfamily.com/images/onemonth/album/slides/week2%20151.jpg

LO and our Pomeranian "Miss Penny":

https://www.ourshippfamily.com/images/onemonth/album/slides/week2%20194.jpg

LO was around a month old when these were taken. Just as with any lifestyle, babies adapt.

We have a Labrador and Bella loves her. They play together all the time, Bella squeals and giggles when she touches her fur and they get on great. Obviously we're careful and never leave them alone although Lola (our dog) is as soft as they come. She can be quite boisterous and excitable especially when the door knocks etc. and we have to move Bella out of the way. I would probably wait a bit though as it can be chaotic. When she was a puppy it was like having a newborn baby, cleaning up after them, feeding them regularly, taking her in the garden to pee regularly (even in the night!) I would say maybe wait another 6 months or so until Louis is a bit bigger and you will prob find it much easier to deal with!

We have a Shih Tzu, he is 1 1/2 years old. Him and Erica get along well, but Erica will pull his hair and he gets really scared. I have to constantly watch them if they are near each other, and I wont leave Erica on the floor on her mat without watching her or anything. I know our dog wouldn't do anything, but I still worry. Also, like the other girls said, dogs can be kinda dirty and babies are into EVERYTHING. And you have to house train a puppy which can be really really hard. I love our puppy like he is another child of ours, we got him when he was 8 weeks, and he is a part of this family. But we have talked about getting another, and we're not going to for a few more years at least. I would wait until LO is a toddler probably. Thats just my opinion. Also, I'd make sure when choosing a dog, you get plenty of time with the dog before choosing it, so you can make sure of its personality. Some dogs seem great at first, but can become aggressive. Are you thinking about getting a big dog or little dog?

I think it's different if you already have a doggie as a family member but going and buying one when you have a small baby needs careful consideration....coz I bet you'll be the one who has to feed it, clean up after it, walk it etc:dohh:.

I would recommend waiting until he's a bit older if you're not ready, and then don't get a puppy,...go to a shelter and find a dog that has been already housebroken and trained to be around small children. It would be a lot easier on you, and it would be for a good cause. Whatever you do, good luck!

I wouldn't do it right now. I have two dogs that are my babies and totally part of the family, but a baby is SO much work, that to train a puppy AND a baby at the same time, I can't imagine! My dogs are old and calm and house trained and I still worry about them around Bella.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->