Ok, opinions?

luckybreak

Reaction score
Newborn dies after reportedly contracting herpes from controversial circumcision ritual

Read more: https://www.foxnews.com/health/2012...cision-ritual/?intcmp=obnetwork#ixzz1pQ7TD2Bl

A two-week-old infant died at a Brooklyn hospital in September after contracting herpes through a controversial religious circumcision ritual, the New York Daily News reported.

A spokeswoman for the city Medical Examiner told the newspaper that the unidentified baby boy died September 28, 2011, at Maimonides Hospital. The official cause of death was listed as “disseminated herpes simplex virus Type 1, complicating ritual circumcision with oral suction.”

As part of the ultra-orthodox Jewish circumcision ritual—known as metzitzah b’peh—the rabbi or mohel removes blood from the wound with his mouth.

The brit milah (pronounced bris), otherwise known as circumcision, is a rite of passage in the Jewish faith, though different groups follow different sets of procedures. The Rabbinical Council of America endorses the practice of using a sterile glass tube between the mohel’s mouth and the baby’s wound for the more orthodox metzitzah b’peh procedure. For less conservative Jews, the baby’s skin only comes into contact with surgical tools.

It is unclear who performed the circumcision, according to the Daily News.

In 2004, another baby died after contracting herpes from a rabbi in Rockland County, N.Y. City health officials have denounced the ritual, saying it carries “inherent risks” for babies.

Read more: https://www.foxnews.com/health/2012...cision-ritual/?intcmp=obnetwork#ixzz1pQ7hJ4xC

*Inappropriate post contents removed by admin*

Erm I feel your comment was a little OTT, you may like to reword it, before causing people some upset.

Poor baby. RIP little man.

And they dont let gay people marry in your country, because that is wrong! Seriously WTF?

Circumcision is not really done in this country outside of medical need and what is described in that article is horrific.

WE had a baby in the uk die fairly recently from the same virus given to them by the mother and her coleslaw

Its all very sad.

Its extreamly sad.

i'm not getting into circumcision right or wrong debate.....
i dont think what happened was done in a perverse way, obviously it was a religious ritual that the parents were comfortable with and its very sad that this has happened.
I feel for the parents and family, hopefully this will raise awareness and the way they do it discouraged.

I dont believe circumcision is right for my family however i do respect that for some its an important part of their religion.

I do however think that in this day and age where we now understand so much more about how germs and disease are spread that the people performing the procedure or ritual should at least be doing their utmost to make it as hygenic as possible.

a Rabbi infected with herpes using his mouth on an open wound is not hygenic at all.

I feel for the family of this LO. such a sad loss

Did I read this thread right? An adult will use their mouth on the wound to remove the blood??

WRONG on so so many levels, very sad for the poor little boy who died

What. The. Fuck.

I'm sure if someone did that in this country they would be in prison, and if not, they bloody well should be! What! This seriously happens? :shock:

Poor little boy. I will research circumcision in the jewish faith before I make any further commentsm

I feel that circumcision, if needed for religious purposes, should wait until the child is old enough to decide they want to be a part of that faith?
This story is so so shocking, if it must be done, it should at least be done in the most sterile way possible.

That's just wrong on so many levels.

I'm very against circumcision generally, and don't think that doing it in the name of religion makes it any better. Some religions condone forced marriages and violence against women, or stoning to death for adultery - doesn't mean they should be allowed though!

I feel that circumcision, if needed for religious purposes, should wait until the child is old enough to decide they want to be a part of that faith?
This story is so so shocking, if it must be done, it should at least be done in the most sterile way possible.

^^^Exactly this... I dont think its fair to put a baby through something like this, when they may decide not to follow the faith when theyre older.
That poor babe. :nope:

That's just wrong on so many levels.

I'm very against circumcision generally, and don't think that doing it in the name of religion makes it any better. Some religions condone forced marriages and violence against women, or stoning to death for adultery - doesn't mean they should be allowed though!

Absolutely agree.

It's an antiquated practice that we as a society should have advanced enough to know better than to carry on with.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->