Older mums that have had a home birth, or planning one?

BunnyN

Reaction score
We have a 21 month old and a 5 week old. Both were HBs with an independant MW and if we have any more I'd plan for the same again. I'm 35 if we have another I'll likely be at least 37 and if we decide to leave a bigger gap (or try for #4 :))I'll be almost 40 and was wondering how that might effect the chances of a HB. I know the priority is always baby being safe and sometimes plans have to change but I loved my other births and to be honest hate the idea of having to go to hospital next time. I already had problems with high bp in my last two pregnancies so that concerns me a bit.

Just wondering what experiences slightly older mums have had with HB, or planning a HB? Also is there an age doctors and MWs you have dealt with consider a cut off age for HB?

There's no cut off age for a home birth. If you choose it, it's what you do. It's their job to support you and I can't see them raising any concerns if you are otherwise healthy and having a healthy pregnancy. Sometimes being older means you are less healthy in other ways (older mums tend to have higher BMIs, as we all tend to gain weight as we get older, so sometimes that can raise red flags - but folks have home births with very high BMIs, so shouldn't be an issue if it's what you choose). I think over 40 there is always a bit more flapping around about pregnancy and birth related complications (not to say there really are more, but there is more worry about them for those mums), but that would be for any pregnancy. Again, if you're healthy and doing well, I can't see it being an issue.

I had a home birth with my first (when I was 32) but will be probably 36 by the time we get pregnant and have the next one, which from my experience with friends who've been older and having babies, shouldn't be an issue, especially as I've had a previous easy and uncomplicated home birth.

Thanks for your reply. I wouldn't be worried about a HB at an older age as long as there were no big complications. I did think it might start making health proffesionals worry at some point. I was 33 and 35 with my two HBs and had High BP and high BMI, large babies and slow labours. We had a fantastic independent MW who is careful but doesnt freak out easily so I think she will be okay with an older age. She was a little concerned about my bp and baby being large this time and my first labour was very slow but she discussed it with us sensibly and we went ahead. Both births went well and were great experiences. I didn't even tear this time even though LO was close to 11lbs!

My biggest worry with another pregnancy/birth would be my BP because it was getting really boarderline this time and the older I get the worse its bound to be. I think loosing weight might help with this as it will take some of the extra pressure off my body, which it clearly finds hard to cope with during pregnancy.

I was 33 when i hsd Alex at home and I'm 38 now and planning to have this one at home too. There's been absolutely no mention of age being an issua during this pregnancy. x

I think maybe they make a bigger deal about age with your first pregnancy?

I asked our MW about any concerns with older mums and home birth after posting this. She wasn't worried. She said being older is more of a problem with getting pregnant and MC etc but not a big difference for the actual birth. She just said that my BP could be an issue but seeing as I've not had any problems with PE in my other two pregnancies she wouldn't be so worried about it getting a bit high. She also reccomended following a fairly strict diet because baby was 11lbs this time so wouldn't really want a bigger one :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->