One twin measuring behind :(

maryanne1987

Reaction score
Yesterday we found out we are expecting twins. One measured 6w3d with a heartbeat, the other measured 5w with no heartbeat. We were told it's unlikely baby 2 will catch up. Guess I'm just looking for others who have been through the same and what the outcome was.. I'm preparing for the worst but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping all would be ok at the next scan.

I haven't been through that hun sorry but a ten day difference is a very big one at that stage :( wishing you the best

This happened to my friend. Unfortunately for her the outcome wasn't good for twin 2. Eventually the sac just reabsorbed and vanished. Twin 1 grew perfectly though and he is now 5 years old. She had no bleeding or anything as the sac disappeared. Hopefully it's a positive outcome for you but 10 days difference does seem massive at this stage. Keeping everything crossed for youxx

The consultant advised us the chance of baby 2 catching up was less than 1%. But he did say as it was an abdominal scan rather than internal there may be a greater margin of error. I know the difference is huge though and what the outcome will most likely be.

Im sorry you are going through this! :hugs:

Sorry you are dealing with this, it's the unfortunate part of having an early scan done especially with twins. Usually by the time a typical first scan at 8 weeks is done there's not much there with a vanashing twin but when it's early I was told it's hard to tell how it'll go sometimes. I had a 5 week scan with mine there was a yolk and fetal pole with both and no hb. I was told not to get excited or expect two to be there on my next scan at 8 weeks and was given the vanashing twin talk. Mine were a few days off on measurement. In my case they both stuck. I know several people who had a vanashing twin but the other baby stuck just fine.

I hope it all works out for you!

Thank so much all. Especially koifish. It's nice to know there may still be a small amount of hope. I will update after my next scan which is a week Saturday.

Good luck at your next scan. Hope the baby will catch up.

Scan didn't go well. Twin 1 measuring two days ahead at 8w5d, twin 2 only grown 2 days since last scan and no heartbeat. I'm so upset and I'm not sure how to feel but trying to focus on the one baby we still have. Thanks everyone for the support.

Sorry to hear that. It must be such a mix of emotions right now. Glad the other baby is growing well xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->