Open letter to anti-vaxxers

Why stir up controversy? Everyone's entitled to make their own informed choices for their families

Thank you for sharing. I wish that non-vaxers would take to heart the harm they could be/are causing by not vaccinating. It's not just their child they are putting at risk of illness, it's others like the child referred to in this letter, as well.
Not to mention that the autism from vaxing myth has been debunked, but people still believe that it’s fact.... :nope:

Why stir up controversy? Everyone's entitled to make their own informed choices for their families

I think that is the point of the letter, that the choice is for their families but they should also consider the wider implications.

If say most anti-vaccinations won't read it anyway as they know what the gist will be.

It brings up a necessary point that most people would never consider. They want to be educated (I hope) but don't even know this side of the story. Thank you for posting.

Here here!

I lost my immunocompromised uncle to Meningitus C, a preventable disease.

I'll never support the 'right' to choose not to vaccinate, I think it's up their with child neglect and endangering the public. The children of parents who chose this moronic choice should be segregated until old enough to correct the poor choice made for them!

If the kid is that sick, that chicken pox could kill him, why are the parents putting him in preschool? It's a hothouse of germy, sniffly kids...

If the kid is that sick, that chicken pox could kill him, why are the parents putting him in preschool? It's a hothouse of germy, sniffly kids...

Because the child also has a right to quality of life.

I am also the mother of an imunnosuppresed child. Would you have me keep her locked indoors till she is fully grown on the offchance she might get a disease that could kill her? Chicken pox could kill my girl but i ont allow her to miss out on the joys of life and the ability to make friends and interact with other kids her own age. She suffers enough time locked away in hospitals.

I agree with everything in this letter. I do believe in the freedom to choose however choosing not to vaccinate is IMO a bad choice

This will undoubtedly cause a vax war thread.
The two sides feel so strongly that theirs is the right choice that threads like this only cause posters to snipe at each other.

I'm pro vax because I did MY. research and came to MY conclusion.
I should hope all parents would do the same.
But like all things some will have differing opinions.

I think anyone who lives or has lived with someone who's immune system has been compromised will wholeheartedly agree with all of this letter. My mother and grandmother had cancer at the same time. That week where immunity is at it's lowest used to terrify me, especially when she would need to leave the house. The though of myself and my 7 brothers being without a mother because of some idiotic decision not to vax, unless for a very good reason just doesn't bear thinking about.

Vax discussions always turn into a shit storm :haha:

Im very pro vax but threads like this are pointless. Most anti vaxers won't read it and even if they do it wont change their mind, just like if they posted trying to persuade me to not vax it wouldn't change my mind. All it does is cause trouble.

We don't vaccinate against chicken pox in the uk anyway so chicken pox is a bit of a moot point. My kids are vaccinated (except flu - got the invite for it yesterday) but I'm very on the fence about it. Vaccinated kids can still spread the illnesses to others, and just not suffer the illness themselves. I'm not sure an immune compromised child would be totally safe even in a school of 100% vaccinated kids. There've been cases of illness in schools in the USA where vaccination is compulsory and all children are known to have been vaccinated so vaccination is not 100% protection.

I think it's too simplistic to say vaccination = 100% safe and unvaccinated = irresponsibility spreading disease right left and centre. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. Just my opinion after loads of reading.

Is this not information that people can consider when making that choice?

My child is not immuno-compromised but I identify with the letter - during my last pregnancy I found out I was not immune to a couple of childhood diseases and I had to pull my son out of all playgroups for the duration because of the risk that he might bring one of them home and infect me.

It was a pain in the ass at a time when I really needed a break from the endless demands of a toddler. I can't imagine how much worse it is to deal with this every day for years, and in a much more extreme context.

This thread is pointless. Regardless of both sides of this controversy it's not changing anyone's mind. It's just causing conflict. There have been SO many threads like this, that have been closed down by admin because it just turns into a war. Pointless. Let parents be parents and have the right to do their research and make an informed decision.

It helps parents who cant protect their children at least feel like they are doing something to protect their child. Even if it doenst change the mind of an antivaxxer it does raise awareness of the issue, and might change the mind of someone who is on the fence with regards to vaxxing.

If your child was at risk of DYING from CHICKEN POX you would perhaps not think the effort so pointless. Its easy to be lax about it when your childs life isnt the one at risk.

The problem is that there are thousands of children that are injured by vaccines every year. And the number is rising. (Aside from the autism debate). There's pros and cons to both sides of the coin. This is why being well informed on the topics is a must. But to call out 'anti-vaxxers' and say their moronic is not helping the situation.

If your child was at risk of DYING from CHICKEN POX you would perhaps not think the effort so pointless. Its easy to be lax about it when your childs life isnt the one at risk.

We don't vaccinate against chicken pox in the UK. So I'm wondering how your situation would play out in the UK? Here our health service considers it a normal run of the mill childhood illness kids get and a vaccination against it is not available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->