Open letter to anti-vaxxers

There are FAR more pros to vaxxing than cons.

But it's true, it would take a lot to change the mind of someone on either side, but like the PP said, it's good to have this on the table for those that are on the fence about vaxxing or not.

No one I know in real life has time for this bullshit. Get your kid vaccinated or stay away from mine; his immunity isn't compromised (and hopefully never will be) but quite frankly I don't want him exposed to the idiocy.

There IS a vaccine for chicken pox n the UK its just not routinely offered unless kids are particularly at risk DD cant have it as its a live vaccine. The same theory applies to measles, mumps a bad flu even.

There will be examples in there that we cant vax against but if there is a chance to prevent the spread of these illnesses why wouldnt you take them. I dont dispute there are vaccine injuries but they are much rarer than immune suppresed people. And if my child had suffered a vaccien injury then i would probably be wary of further vaccs too. But that isnt the same as just not vaxxing at all based on the what ifs.

My 3 year old is at nursery 5 days a week, my 2 year old hasnt had her MMR becasue its a live vaccine. I am terrified of what happens if a child at nursery (vaxxed or not) passes that disease onto my 3 year old who then infects his sister. As PP said 100% vax doesnt mean 100% safe but herd immunity does reduce the risk and we are relying on that immunity to keep my daughter safe.

If the kid is that sick, that chicken pox could kill him, why are the parents putting him in preschool? It's a hothouse of germy, sniffly kids...

Because the child also has a right to quality of life.

I am also the mother of an imunnosuppresed child. Would you have me keep her locked indoors till she is fully grown on the offchance she might get a disease that could kill her? Chicken pox could kill my girl but i ont allow her to miss out on the joys of life and the ability to make friends and interact with other kids her own age. She suffers enough time locked away in hospitals.

I agree with everything in this letter. I do believe in the freedom to choose however choosing not to vaccinate is IMO a bad choice

I guess I'd probably skip an optional preschool program, and aim for smaller select groups of children for my lo to play with, ones who's parents are aware and sensitive to my los issues, at least until the big childhood illnesses are past. Not everything is vaccinated for, what about the flu, norovirus, general colds and coughs? Preschoolers aren't the best at covering mouths, blowing nose and washing hands. I don't know of its worth the risk... It's hard to judge though I guess until you've been in that position.

Anyways, my lo is vaccinated so I'm doing my bit lol

If the kid is that sick, that chicken pox could kill him, why are the parents putting him in preschool? It's a hothouse of germy, sniffly kids...

Because the child also has a right to quality of life.

I am also the mother of an imunnosuppresed child. Would you have me keep her locked indoors till she is fully grown on the offchance she might get a disease that could kill her? Chicken pox could kill my girl but i ont allow her to miss out on the joys of life and the ability to make friends and interact with other kids her own age. She suffers enough time locked away in hospitals.

I agree with everything in this letter. I do believe in the freedom to choose however choosing not to vaccinate is IMO a bad choice

I guess I'd probably skip an optional preschool program, and aim for smaller select groups of children for my lo to play with, ones who's parents are aware and sensitive to my los issues, at least until the big childhood illnesses are past. Not everything is vaccinated for, what about the flu, norovirus, general colds and coughs? Preschoolers aren't the best at covering mouths, blowing nose and washing hands. I don't know of its worth the risk... It's hard to judge though I guess until you've been in that position.

Anyways, my lo is vaccinated so I'm doing my bit lol

DD isnt in a full time preschool yet but it does concern us the whole germs thing. We are resigned to the fact she will cathc CP at some point but her local hospital have given us open access and a plan to follow if we suspect she has chicken pox for example. But if we were going to go to the extreme of keeping her out of nursery then it would make sense to go the whole hog and keep her 3 year old brother out too. And thats unfair for him to miss out on experiences he should have because his sister is ill. And if we dont keep him out then keeping her out kinda defeats the purpose. There isnt an easy solution. But we dont know how long our daughter will be around for.there is a 1 in 5 chance she wont see her 5th birthday. I would never forgive myself looking back if i thought she had had extra time but had spent it sad and isolated instead of havign fun with her friends

We don't vaccinate against chicken pox in the uk anyway so chicken pox is a bit of a moot point. My kids are vaccinated (except flu - got the invite for it yesterday) but I'm very on the fence about it. Vaccinated kids can still spread the illnesses to others, and just not suffer the illness themselves. I'm not sure an immune compromised child would be totally safe even in a school of 100% vaccinated kids. There've been cases of illness in schools in the USA where vaccination is compulsory and all children are known to have been vaccinated so vaccination is not 100% protection.

I think it's too simplistic to say vaccination = 100% safe and unvaccinated = irresponsibility spreading disease right left and centre. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. Just my opinion after loads of reading.

Also a pretty relevant detauil , there. They're still carriers.

We aren't offered a chickenpox where I live...I caught it as a 5 year old. I was surprised to read there is a vaccine as it isn't on our recommended vaccinations list, but I guess it differs from place to place.

I'm all for vaccine, for my baby's health, for newborns that aren't immune and for those that can't get vax's. People do have an opinion and beliefs.

My DD can't have live vaccine. I personally feel that it should be the antivaxxers that lock their kids away.

No one I know in real life has time for this bullshit. Get your kid vaccinated or stay away from mine; his immunity isn't compromised (and hopefully never will be) but quite frankly I don't want him exposed to the idiocy.

I think I love you.

Wholeheartedly agree with this letter. A personal choice should only have personal consequences.

I prefer to base my decisions on research, fact and science and try to avoid emotive stories (such as the one in the OP) on both sides of the argument.

Some posters have suggested vaccinations should be madatory but I would feel very uneasy about that personally. I would prefer if caregivers were provided with clear and unbiased info on which to base their decisions instead of being bombarded with propoganda, peer pressure or guilt (again goes for both sides).

I am generally pro vax and pro herd immunity (exceptions being my kids don't get the flu or rotavirus vax) but it is true that the authorities don't always get it right as has been evident historically, and of course every kid's situation is different.

There has also been another valid point raised about vaccines not necessarily providing immunity. Prime example being that recent research into why the whooping cough vaccine is not effectively preventing outbreaks points to the fact that vaccinated people can still be carriers and pass it on but just not present symptoms (possibly even more dangerous to somebody who has not been vaccinated as they are a. unaware they are infectious and b. apparently infectious for a longer period).

I also wonder how parents of immuno compromised kids feel about live vaccines being given routinely (e.g flumist to toddlers), do you keep your kids away from other kids at the time of year they are given due to shedding?

It's a bit of a minefield really and far from black and white.

I thought the reason for the recent outbreaks in whooping cough is because immunity from the vaccination is reduced/eliminated after a certain period of time

Linnypops, yes quite possible that is a contributing factor too but here is the link for the research I quoted if anyone is interested....

https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm376937.htm

Ah right, that's interesting/worriesome. Thanks for posting the link

With the flu mist we do avoid close contact with kids we know have had the live flu mist ie cousins etc. Obviously in the public at large you cant ask every person if they have just had a live vaccine but we do try to limit how much time we spend in general playgroups etc with DD. The risk of shedding is small but it could still be a real issue for us. It was the same with the MMR my antenatal group wanted to meet up around our kids first birthdays as it is al around the same time. We had to give it a miss as 4 out of 6 kids had just had their MMR and DD isnt meant to spend time near live vaccines. The parents werent very impressed when i explained why we wouldnt come which is ridiculous as they saw what DD went through to even survive her first year. This is why things like this are positive for me. If people dont live life worrying about these things they often just dont think of them at all and so dont understand how life can be like on the other side.

Totally agree with letter. To be honest it just takes me talking to my grandma who when she was young people died from these diseases. Vaccines have more pros than cons

Agree that herd immunity isn't 100% effective so why bother. That's why I've stopped using contraception even though I don't want to get pregnant , I found out it's only 99.9% effective so what's the point, I'll probably get pregnant unexpectedly anyway. Plus there's a chance the contraception will give me acne or a migraine which is way more life affecting than unplanned pregnancy.

Agree that herd immunity isn't 100% effective so why bother. That's why I've stopped using contraception even though I don't want to get pregnant , I found out it's only 99.9% effective so what's the point, I'll probably get pregnant unexpectedly anyway. Plus there's a chance the contraception will give me acne or a migraine which is way more life affecting than unplanned pregnancy.

You win best quote on the internet today

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->