opinions and experiences of morning sickness

shorty2k8

1 son ttc #2
Reaction score
hi girls,

as an emetophobe i am now trying to conceive and am comin round to the fact that i may well feel or be very sick

but i jst wanted to get an across the board opinion of what the sickness is like...... ermm.... how people were affected, how they have coped, etc etc.

i jst wana b well informed so i can prepare for the worst!

thanks ladies and im sorry to be a pain and ask questions, lol

luv nicki xx

I have been lucky & had very mild MS. For me, it feels like being motion sick in a car. Food actually helps to ease it - I am sure it's called morning sickness because most women feel it on an empty tummy (ie when they wake up). I try to eat small, regular meals & I am convinced that it helps.

I dont want to put you off, but i was hit pretty hard with it from 6 weeks and still get it horrendously now. I am sick everyday, sometimes mornings, sometimes through the day and sometimes in the evening. I now take crackers to bed so i eat one just as i get in to bed or as soon as i wake up. My diet consists of toast, tea and lemonade and when i feel up to it a prawn sandwich. I found ginger biscuits, ginger beer or anything ginger didn't work, but plain foods help.

Hope this hasn't scared you :hugs:

no dont worry about scarin me, i need to know all this as im already expectin to get it bad. jst hope i can cope with it if i do. thanks for ur imput girls. much appreciated.

xx

My experience was a bit extreme. I started feeling sick around week 6 and at week 7, I was hospitalized overnight because of dehydration and starvation (I couldn't keep down water and I lost 10lbs in a week, bringing me down to 115lbs and I'm 5'7"). They put a drip in my arm to get me hydrated and I had to sleep there... but the silver lining is, one of the nice midwives snuck me in for a scan and peanut is fine with a very strong heartbeat!

I still feel quite sick and am still being sick about twice a day... but my sickness definatly peaked around weeks 7 & 8 where i was sick about 5 times a day. To avoid what happened to me, please drink as much water as you can stomach and at least TRY to eat enough to keep you going. I think i just got to a point where i gave up on food and thats really not good.

Best of luck hun,
x

on and off for me to,comes and goes throughout the day...alot of the time i think the tiredness doesnt help,so plenty of rest is good.
xxx

I'm another one who has managed to escape pretty much without any MS, I would say mine was similar to KC1980, I get like really hungry empty tummy sensation that whilst not very pleasent, soon goes when I eat something. I find it happens more if I have gone a long time between meals (not normally a long time pre pregnancy) so I too have been eating small regular meals or make sure I always have something to snack on if it sneaks up on me! Good luck with ttc, hope you're in first tri soon xx

Hi Nicki, I'm also an emetophobe, I actually posted a thread about this some time ago because I was scared.

First know that you aren't alone, emetophobia is actually very common, and lots of ladies here posted how they felt the same. Some had actually been sick and lived through it :D Thankfully, I've just had nausea (which has made me scared and anxious at times) but I have coped.

I found that eating very bland food seemed to work for me. Also milk seemed to calm my stomach. I drink a pint glass each night with nesquik :D Also (my husband knows this has been a lifelong phobia for me and is very supportive) if I was feeling sick, husband would sit with me and hold my hand, and reassure me. Make sure you get the support from your partner when you need it.

Everyone is different so it's hard to say how you will be, but you WILL be just fine and if you are sick, it WILL pass.

:hugs:

its so nice to hear off another emetophobe on this, it is such a silly and frustrating phobia but my partner is gr8, he doenst fully understand it but he tries and supports me all the way with everythin, so i know i wont b alone with it, he's even said if i feel im sufferin at any point to call him out of work so he can look after me, so thats good.

i can sorta cope with feelin sick cus as an ibs sufferer i have tummy troubles A LOT anyway, lol. im jst poppin out to the docs now cus of it!

thank you so much everyone for your support, i know i wont be alone if/when it finally happens which is really nice to know

xxx

i too have emetophobia and struggle very much with MS...
I havent been sick yet but it getsme close to crying :( I wasnt sick with DS either, only when giving birth. That was the worst part of the delivery...

I am too... I was nausea's all day every day for both of my DS from 6 weeks to 14weeks but wasnt sick once thankfully but if there is anything to put me off having more babies it would be the ms. My OH did say at the weekend that he cant wait for me to have to run to the bathroom which did make me :cry: I guess not everyone can understand what it's like for us but you will be fine and may not get any at all x

I am too... I was nausea's all day every day for both of my DS from 6 weeks to 14weeks but wasnt sick once thankfully but if there is anything to put me off having more babies it would be the ms. My OH did say at the weekend that he cant wait for me to have to run to the bathroom which did make me :cry: I guess not everyone can understand what it's like for us but you will be fine and may not get any at all x

My sis thinks im a weirdo for having a fear of vomit. As does the majority of my family :( it's no more weirder than being afriad of spiders..
I have a panic attack tho when I know someones going to throw up, is throwing up, or if i feeling im going to be sick... I start hyperventilating.:(

A lot of people don't understand it and think it's weird, think they're being helpful and say, 'well you'll actually feel better once you throw up!' Ugh it's so frustrating but those of us who have it know it is VERY real. My dad is really mean, he'll laugh when I'm watching tv and I'll see someone throw up and get upset that there was no warning.

Lindyloo, as far as your OH goes and saying that - I'd be crying too. If my husband said that to me I'd have to restrain myself from punching him in the face (well not really but the visual would make me feel better)

:hugs:

I had 24/7 sickness from week 6 to 16......eating didn't always help, even bland things would come back up, certain smells would set it off. and most of the time i had such a horrible feeling in my mouth that i didn't even want to swallow my own saliva or talk!

you did want to hear good or bad didn't you! you might be one of the lucky ones who doesn't have much or any at all......good luck ttc.

I had horrid MS, the first 3 weeks. I couldnt move. It was really bad. I had to eat crackers before I even got out of bed.
Just know that if you DO get it, it will most likely go away!!
.:prayers:.

well i have only just started getting any sickness and its v. mild, more nausea rather than actually feeling like i'm going to be sick. My sister didn't get any at all throughout her whole pregnancy so you may be lucky - i read the vast majority of people feel sick but aren't actually sick (sorry - no compensation for all those who are). On another note, have you asked your gp to be referred for some help with your phobia. I'm a clinical psychologist and i certainly know that people in our service see people with vomit phobia and have had very good results with cognitive behavioural therapy. just a thought. hope you escape the dreaded ms. x

Hi there :hi:

Im also a fellow emetophobia sufferer!! Have been for as long as I can remember, I felt exactly the same as you before I got pregnant with my 1st, I was so scared! I didn't plan my 1st pregnancy so it just happened and I didn't get morning sickness at all that time, my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies were planned and I had morning sickness both times! Im not going to lie it was horrible, I was never actually sick as being an emetophobe as you know it takes ALOT for me to let myself be sick! At the time I was so misserable wishing it would go away but I have to say once it does go you do totally forget about it and its so very worth it!

I have had morning sickness this time too, haven't been sick of course just felt like I was going to be sick at any moment :( Im slowly starting to feel a bit better now fingers crossed :)

I say just go for it, I know how hard it is, and how you just can't help but be anxious about it, but it really is worth it :)

mine started as nausea at about 5 1/2 weeks, but i've only been physically sick twice. i had a few days when i didn't feel sick at all, & now it's back with a vengance, & i went into work this morning, managed 8 minutes before i threw up my breakfast.
xx

I haven't really experienced much aside from feeling nauseaus a lot. I have only thrown up twice now. My first clues as to being pregnant were feeling dizzy and nauseaus.

Yeah the fear is quite intense! but i want to overcome it! i have been and bought some sea bands today hopin that if i do suffer they may help and i wil have them to hand. lol.

I like to be organised, and make sure that as soon as it starts i can keep it under control.

thanks for your support guys, it really helps. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->