Opinions / Experiences Wanted

Orglethorp

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I started back on the pill around this time last year when my boyfriend and I got serious. Now, a year later, we're all-but engaged (he's got a big plan he's teasing me with, but the big day has not come yet), living together, and have "forever" plans. We weren't sure when we wanted to start trying up until recently, but about a week before the end of my last round of active pills I noticed all those lovely little signs in my body that are both period and pregnancy signs. I don't normally get much warning before my period, on or off birth control, and certainly not for an entire week leading up to it, so I thought I might be pregnant. The idea of it made me happy. It made Peter happy. When my "period" (let's face it, the bleed occuring at the end of a traditional 3 weeks/1 week pill pack is not a period) came right on time, we were both disappointed.

We've been talking about it just about every day, and last night (when I should have taken the third pill of my next pack), we decided that I wouldn't. I'm stopping the pill now, and we'll see what happens.

I'm excited and scared and a whole bunch of other things all at once!

But here's why I'm posting. I've got 2 major questions/issues on my mind, and my research has turned up so many conflicting answers that I don't know what to think. I'd like opinions from all of you, and if you're willing to share, I'd like to read about your similar experiences.

#1: Timeline / risk conceiving right off the pill.
I've read lots of reports (often from the women it happened to themselves) of women getting pregnant the very first cycle off the pill - didn't even get a period. Conversely, I've heard that it's common for women to take months or even a year or more to return to normal fertility.

I've also heard lots of reports of women who conceived right away but then miscarried. Is there increased risk?

If it's relevant, I've been on the pill for a year, and my natural cycle while not on the pill ranges from 33-40 days. Typically, when left to nature, I have 10 periods a year. That being said, I was not in the habit of tracking my periods 4 years ago when I last came off the pill. I didn't start tracking it (thus getting the range above) until I'd been off the pill for a year or so. I don't know how long my body takes to get back to normal. My withdrawal bleeds while on the pill are so predictable you could set your watch by it. If my last active pill was a Saturday night, the bleed started at noon on Wednesday, give or take 15 minutes.

#2: Should I avoid alcohol completely at this time?
I've read sources that say some women can have a beer here and there throughout their pregnancies with no effect, and others that say any amount of alcohol in the earliest stages = considerable risk.

I am not a partier. I do not drink often. I've never been drunk. That being said, whenever Peter and I spend a weekend at the cabin with his family or visiting friends who also have cabins in the area, everyone drinks. I usually indulge in 1 or 2 coolers (5% alcohol like a standard Canadian beer) over a period of 4-6 hours, enjoying the rare treat and fending off the liquor fiends who will put a drink in your hand if they don't see one :p

So, at this point while I'm simply not preventing pregnancy, is that alright? 1 or 2 in an evening, occuring no more than 2-3 evenings in a month.

Obviously once I find out I am pregnant I'll stop, and nobody in the crowd is going to expect a pregnant woman to drink, but while I'm not pregnant / possibly just conceived (in the near future), I don't want to make anyone suspect anything by being overly careful, and I do have a pair of adult lemonades chilling in the cabin fridge that will be calling my name on Saturday...

So, input?

Hi there and welcome! :)

When i came off the pill many moons ago i'd been on it for YEARS and my cycles bounced about from 21 days to 40+ days for a while until they kinda settled at around 34 days and I got pregnant on cycle 7. But that's just me. :)

I would say that there is no increased chance of miscarriage. I can think of no reason why there would be. You will have the same chance as everyone else, which is 1 in 4 pregnancies end in loss.

As for alcohol, you just carry on as normal! I always continue to drink as I usually do (and that includes being drunk now and again!) TTC can be such a stressful and long process there's no reason to restrict yourself needlessly. Plus, the fertilised egg doesn't make contact with your bloodstream until 5 weeks of pregnancy, which means you would be 5 days late for your period. And there's NO WAY you wouldn't suspect or know you were pregnant by then, so you would have stopped drinking anyway. You'll have nine months of don't do this and don't do that ahead of you. Don't make it longer than it needs to be! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->