Opinions please :) Thinking of bringing 3 yr old DD to 20 week scan?

KarFar

Reaction score
Hi, my 20 week scan is this week and DH and I were thinking of bringing our 3 yr DD with us. She knows and is very excited about the baby and we want to include her as much as possible but would this be too much? She is very well behaved so I am not worried about her being a distraction to the staff but it was more about the effect on her. Has anyone else brought their kids around the same age to a U/S and if so what it a good experience?

It's not exactly the same, but I brought my 5 year old to one of my ultrasounds. She did great, I say go for it.

I didn't take my ds (3 this October) purely because it can be a wait on the nhs, really pleased I didn't the end the whole app took almost 3 hours the end, mostly waiting time, then having a second scan due to awkward baby position.
He had a much better time playing at nana's!

You're not allowed to take kids into the ultrasound rooms at my hospital id maybe call and check first :)

When my daughter was 2 we took her, and she was wonderful. This time we took my kids to my 20 week and my 5 and 7 year old were a bit disruptive, but I have to have lots of U/S and they'll be with us this week at our 28 week one too. Have no choice. Some places don't allow kids in the rooms, but I've been lucky that my office they do.

We took our little man in and surprisingly he thought the picture of the baby on the big screen looked scary and he didn't like the 'trapezium in mummy's baby tummy'. I didn't think he'd have this reaction because he'd been pretty excited about it all, but I can understand how he got scared by what he saw. We fortunately had both of our mums in the room with us so the grandmas took turns at playing with him outside in the waiting room while the other one got to see the scan.

I say you should take her if you can. She's a little bit older and I think she'd love to be involved.

I know that here, we are not allowed to bring children into the U/S as long as they are under a certain age. I can not remember the age. Nor am I clear if that means my DH will have to stay outside in the waiting room withDD during my anatomy scan in 2 weeks.

My son was 3 when we took him to our 20 week ultrasound and he did great! Seeing the baby helped him to understand and connect with his new baby. :) He just did not understand why we couldn't take her home that day! ;) It was a great experience for us all!

I took my lb to a scan and 6 years later he remembers it, he was 3 at the time, thought it was so great xxxx

I wouldn't to be honest. We thought about it for our 3 year old and we're so glad we didn't. A problem was picked up and we ended up spending 4 hours there having extra scans, speaking with a cardiologist, fetal medicine consultant and genetics counsellor. It was very intense and I'm glad we didn't have our son there to worry about so we could speak freely and support each other.

If it was that important to me I would book a private 3d scan after the 20 week scan.

Also, I've had loads of scans since my 20 week one and my son has been there for a couple of the brief ones - and paid no intention. I don't think he could really see and understand that it was the baby

We took our little one, she was about the same age, when we had a scan at 24 weeks. It was private though, had already had our NHS 20 week and everything was well.

She hadnt a clue and wasnt fussed at all. :dohh:

I would use your own judgement. I've taken my Lo in the past and it's been a lovely experience with them sat on Daddy's knee and the sonographer has always spoke to them and made them feel included. They've alwYs been v well behaved.
However, I had 2 of my children (then 3 and 10 months) with me when I found out my baby had died. It was an emergency scan and I wAs unable to get hold of my husband.
That was hard, it terrified my 3 year old of drs and hospitals as she thought they had hurt me because I was crying.
For that reason id not take my Lo again which is a shame really.

I took my mother in law and my 4 year old son with me and my partner to our 20 week scan, they both loved it. He was so excited to see all the different parts, and of course to find out he was having a brother :)

Thanks all for your replies a lot of food for thought :)

we brought our son to our anatomy scan last week. He's 3 and a half and very impatient. he's been to all of my appointments and he did pretty good at the ultrasound. OH did end up taking him out of the room near the end since it lasted about 30 minutes.

My ds is 20 months and we're taking him to our next ultrasound this wednesday... I don't know how it will turn out, but I want him to be a part of it

In our hospital, we are not allowed children at the scans, there's a huge notice about it, we are only allowed 1 other person.

We've had not option but to take DS to all appointments and scans. He's behaved amazingly tbh, and means we can inc him. He's even had to come to emergency appointments and been good, if needs be DH takes for a quick walk :).

I had my scan this morning. DS was worried that I was in pain, he thought I was being tortured or something, he was kinda mortified poor thing. So I wouldn't say it was a good idea to bring him after all. But, he's 20 months old. Perhaps a three year old would have more understanding of the situation.

My LO had just turned 4 for our first scan and we had our second today and he's been great in both appointments, he's bored easily usually but was so excited to see baby! Unfortunately had his heart set on a sister and found out today he's getting a brother he tried telling the sonographer that she'd got it wrong!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->