Oscar

Rachie004

Reaction score
I really like the name Oscar (although OH says it makes him think of sesame street).

Has it become too popular? How many Oscar's do you know and what do you think of it?

I grew up being double named because there was always at least one other Rachel/Rachael in my class at school so I'd like to try and avoid it as much as possible without naming them something really obscure :)

The Grouch. Your SO is right, it's what most people will think of. I don't know anyone with the name, so I'm not sure about it being popular...

My lb is oscar obvs i love it. I didnt know and no1 has ever mention the seasame stret thing :wacko:

I think of hot dogs.

buts it what you think of when you hear the name and of course hubby too.

Oscar only makes me think of police officer talk like 'Oscar - delta - charlie - nine'

there is one Oscar in my sons class

names are strange when Jake was born every boy we met was called Harry (everyone for the first 2 years) and yet somehow there's none in his class and instead there are 3 lewis's and 2 other children have brothers called Lewis as well

Again I think it comes down to where you live. In the US, it would be very unlikely someone would name a baby Oscar (I don't know any at all)... and most ppl would associate the name with Sesame Street & Oscar Meyer Weiners. But it seems quite popular in the UK - so I think where you live ppl will associate the name as a cute baby name (not as a grouch!). I'm not sure how common it is in your area, do you have a census you can check out that says what the name ranks? I hear it a lot on here - so it seems like it's used often in the UK. :shrug:

I was so in love with the name at one point that I was going to call a kitten Oscar (before pregnancy) it isnt called Oscar but now I just think of a little kitten :) so I wouldnt use it!

its not common where I'm from and I think its a nice name. :)

I like the name Oscar although it makes me think of a book called 'Oscar Got the Blame' where a little boy used to blame his imaginary friend Oscar for everything!

I like it, its at the top of our list.

Although I do worry about the popularity too! X

I really like it, it was a contender when I was pregnant but we got so many negative responses from people when we mentioned it.

Nobody has said anything about sesame street though, I don't think many people would make that association in the UK. xx

No one thinks of Oscar Wilde? I am in love with Oscar Wilde and I was thinking about the name but both me and DH are Greek so it would make quite an impression (I am not sure it would be a good one), but on the other hand we live abroad and it is an easy name to pronounce for almost every language.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->