Over Active Letdown

nataliecn

Mommy to Grady and WTT!
Reaction score
Does anyone have this? Any suggestions how to deal with it?

I think I have it, I looked into it while researching why Grady spits up so much milk, and this was one of the things mentionned. And some of the symptoms, choking, pulling away happen during most feeds.. Plus when he comes off the boob, usually my milk is squirting out the nipple more or less in his face whether i'm holding my boob or not!

HELP!

i'm unsure myself but am bumping back up for you :hugs:

I think I have read that you can pump for a little while before he feeds and that should make the flow a little more managable for him :cloud9:

I had this. Meadow would be coughing and spluttering bless her. Dont know how to fix it but mine stopped doing after 6 weeks. Leaking slowed right down too.

Could you pump a bit before feeding Grady to let some out maybe?? Not sure what the 'rule' is about pumping before that 6 week mark tho ?

I have this problem too. I started using nipple shields pretty early on which really helped, as the milk seems to pool in the shield and he can regulate the flow a bit more. I tried going without a couple of weeks ago and we were right back to square one, pulling off and choking and milk spraying all over the place. Alex is 10 weeks now and I'm looking forward to my milk supply calming down a bit. Am tired of waking up soggy in the morning! (Sorry if tmi)

Sunnie xx

You could try to pump or express a bit off before you start. Overactive letdown is pretty much the same as having an abundant supply. :)

I thought that was normal lol. Me, my Aunt and my mate are all the same for the first few mins our babies get it rammed down there necks i just thought thats how it was lol!

I have this problem too. I started using nipple shields pretty early on which really helped, as the milk seems to pool in the shield and he can regulate the flow a bit more. I tried going without a couple of weeks ago and we were right back to square one, pulling off and choking and milk spraying all over the place. Alex is 10 weeks now and I'm looking forward to my milk supply calming down a bit. Am tired of waking up soggy in the morning! (Sorry if tmi)

Sunnie xx

So eventually it'll calm down and we won't have this issue!?

I had this also until about 2 days. The milk would spill out the sides of Phoenix's mouth and he would choke and cough. Since yesterday it seems the milk has calmed down a bit. And I'm not leaking as much.

I've also read to pump before nursing.

umm im not sure, my SIL had this with her second baby and she had really bad reflux too. I agree, maybe pump a little? The only thing i'd be worried about with that is it will keep you over supplied since your body produces on demand.

Someone at baby group has this prob too... but her baby unlatches when the letdown comes and lets it "drain" and then will latch back on...

I have the same Natalie, Caine spitting up, pulling away for a breather all the time etc..... just hoping it gets better xx

We really struggled with this and went to see the Lactation Consultant about it. Poppy was getting very colicky because she was taking too much foremilk and having very green nappies. She advised feeding "uphill". In other words, Poppy would be looking down at me whilst feeding. She also advised unlatching LO and expressing a little into a muslin when letdown occurs and then re-latching when the flow has slowed down. And I also used to find that feeeding her before she was totally ravenous helped so that she didn't go at it like crazy and make herself cough and splutter too much. The doctor also diagnosed her with reflux and prescribed her Gaviscon but I think it was just the oversupply that was aggravating it.

I found quite alot of help on the Kellymom site, here:

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

It took about 2 months before it eventually settled down. Good luck.

Thanks girls!
The last 2 days I've been taking him off when it happens, and letting it settle, then putting him back on!
No big throw ups since! Just a bit of spit up! :)
So hopefully we've figured it out!

Sunnie xx

So eventually it'll calm down and we won't have this issue!?

Mine were like this when I BF, I think it will calm down once your breasts figure out how much milk they need?

i have been leaning back and also trying to feed before he gets too hungry.

You could try to pump or express a bit off before you start. Overactive letdown is pretty much the same as having an abundant supply. :)

I have this problem too!! My lactation consultant said to do what was suggested in this post - pump off about 1/4 to 1/2 an oz from the breast before his latch-on. It has helped some but he still doesn't BF 100% - he still gets frustrated and I have to follow up with about 1 oz in a bottle afterwards. She said he would grow out of it as my milk supply regulated to his needs. Hope that helps! :hug:

Thanks Hun!
I just tend to squeeze my boob when it starts squirting badly! Only lasts about a minute and then he seems to be ok!
Phew!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->