Ovulation Test Help!

Sophm88

Reaction score
I have decided to use ovulation tests this month due to having PCOS and had enough of thinking I am late and getting my hopes up for being pregnant then having AF rock up and breaking my heart! :cry:

How do you decided when to start testing? :shrug: I don't want to test too early and end up with loads of negative tests but I don't want to risk missing it either!

Any help would be really appreciated!

hi Sophm88, I feel your pain and frustration. PCOS sucks. Are you on any treatment aid to help with it? For me, wrt ovulation, I use the Clear Blue ovulation kits - much easier than having to compare the darkness of lines with control lines. My first cycle (before I was diagnosed with PCOS) I tested from CD12 and got my positive on CD15 and this past month I was positive on CD16 so I'm getting an idea of when I generally ovulate. I think the instructions recommend that you start testing from about CD10 though to make sure you don't miss it.. I am starting Clomid this cycle and I was told by Gynae to start ovulation testing from CD12

It does suck! I am following diets to try and help but I am really struggling. I was only diagnosed in April but have been NTNP since July last year. My doc told me to wait until I have been actively TTC for one year before looking to put me on medication! :shrug:

I have bought the control line Ovulation Tests to give a go and if I am struggling maybe I'll try the clearblue. I may sound stupid but how do I work out my CD? Not sure if it is from last period day or first? :shrug:

Fingers crossed for our BFPs!

I used the clear blue digital ones and I got pregnant with my boy the first time of using them.Im going to start using them again soon

It does suck! I am following diets to try and help but I am really struggling. I was only diagnosed in April but have been NTNP since July last year. My doc told me to wait until I have been actively TTC for one year before looking to put me on medication! :shrug:

I have bought the control line Ovulation Tests to give a go and if I am struggling maybe I'll try the clearblue. I may sound stupid but how do I work out my CD? Not sure if it is from last period day or first? :shrug:

My Gynae told me the same about waiting 1 year of trying naturally before any investigations but then my cycles got more irregular so I went to him at about 8 months of trying and he diagnosed the pcos and started me on the fertility treatment the same month.

You count your cd from first day of your period. Only negative with ovulation tests and pcos is that it can't prove that you did in fact ovulate. It picks up the hormone surge needed for ovulation but with pcos a person often has the surge but no actual ovulation. Only way to confirm that is to track body temp which can indicate whether you did in fact ovulate or not; and with blood work

My Gynae told me the same about waiting 1 year of trying naturally before any investigations but then my cycles got more irregular so I went to him at about 8 months of trying and he diagnosed the pcos and started me on the fertility treatment the same month.

You count your cd from first day of your period. Only negative with ovulation tests and pcos is that it can't prove that you did in fact ovulate. It picks up the hormone surge needed for ovulation but with pcos a person often has the surge but no actual ovulation. Only way to confirm that is to track body temp which can indicate whether you did in fact ovulate or not; and with blood work

Oh I didn't realise that! it just gets harder! :cry: What is the best way to track body temp? :shrug: Sorry, I am new to actively TTC as I always assumed it would just happen!

I usually start testing as soon as my period finish, because I found from last few cycles that I ovulate earlier than the typical day 14, so I don't want to miss it. Also, one good tip would be to test more than once/day. When I first started using the ovulation kit, I think I missed LH surge because I was only testing once/day. I bought both ovulation strip/digital ones, so I can test more than once/day, and for economical reason. Good luck! :)

fertiltyfriend.com is great for tracking temps and they have courses for how tos! You start on the first day of your period.

wake up, roll over and grab the thermometer ( DONT MOVE OR GET UP). Then input your temp. You want a pattern not certain temps. Lower pre O and sustained shift after O.

Taking Charge Of Your Fertility is a great book too.

-----
My cycle varies in length but i generally have a 32d cycle, i O anywhere on CD16, 19 or 21. I start my OPK on CD10.

with PCOS you may either not get a + OPk or you may get multiple + OPK.. its a tough battle but you can O and get a BFP!

fertiltyfriend.com is great for tracking temps and they have courses for how tos! You start on the first day of your period.

wake up, roll over and grab the thermometer ( DONT MOVE OR GET UP). Then input your temp. You want a pattern not certain temps. Lower pre O and sustained shift after O.

Taking Charge Of Your Fertility is a great book too.

-----
My cycle varies in length but i generally have a 32d cycle, i O anywhere on CD16, 19 or 21. I start my OPK on CD10.

with PCOS you may either not get a + OPk or you may get multiple + OPK.. its a tough battle but you can O and get a BFP!

Great thank you, I downloaded the fertility friend app so I must be on the right track! :thumbup: I'll have a nosey on the website today and get my head around it. I have just finished AF so am ready to go in all guns blazing this month!

I usually start testing as soon as my period finish, because I found from last few cycles that I ovulate earlier than the typical day 14, so I don't want to miss it. Also, one good tip would be to test more than once/day. When I first started using the ovulation kit, I think I missed LH surge because I was only testing once/day. I bought both ovulation strip/digital ones, so I can test more than once/day, and for economical reason. Good luck! :)

Thank you, I didn't think about testing more than once a day! I ordered cheap ovulation tests so dont mind using a lot if it helps get my BFP! Fingers crossed for you also!! :hugs:

I have PCOS on no meds (as yet). I haven't ovulated at all this year but my cycles seem to be getting shorter thankfully. I use OneStep opks from amazon uk. I have 20 miu and 30 miu ones (20 miu is more sensitive) so I use the more sensitive ones until I get a positive on them and confirm with a 30miu. None of my 30miu ones have been positive this year so now I know that my LH can rise to that level and not ovulate. I test a couple of times a day if they look dark.

I also temp vaginally as my oral temps are erratic. I got the babymad one from amazon as it has memory features - I can wake up, temp, go back to sleep if it's early or go to work and record it after. I also vouch for the Taking Charge of your Fertility book. It explained a lot.

HTH x

I have PCOS on no meds (as yet). I haven't ovulated at all this year but my cycles seem to be getting shorter thankfully. I use OneStep opks from amazon uk. I have 20 miu and 30 miu ones (20 miu is more sensitive) so I use the more sensitive ones until I get a positive on them and confirm with a 30miu. None of my 30miu ones have been positive this year so now I know that my LH can rise to that level and not ovulate. I test a couple of times a day if they look dark.

I also temp vaginally as my oral temps are erratic. I got the babymad one from amazon as it has memory features - I can wake up, temp, go back to sleep if it's early or go to work and record it after. I also vouch for the Taking Charge of your Fertility book. It explained a lot.

HTH x

Thank you Betty. PCOS sucks doesn't it! Mine are the OneStep ones from Amazon too, ordered a thermometer too to try and help. I have downloaded the fertility friend app to keep a better track of everything! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->