Oxygen on the wall...?

SugarKisses

Luv my 3 miracle's
Reaction score
My Katie was born at 26+6 and shes 6 weeks old today, making her 33 weeks tomorrow.
She hasnt needed much help with breathing. Shes been on the oxygen plugged in to the wall for a few weeks now. Shes plugged in, but its switched off as tight as it can be...but a trickle still manages to get through because once you unplug her she drops in sats after a little while-sometimes she only last 5 mins, sometimes 2 hours....though she has gone much longer at some points-even breathed on her own from day 2-6 :thumbup:
My question is...will she grow out of this? Was it the same for any of your babies who needed that little amount of oxygen and did they go home with or without it?

xx

Congrats on ur lil girl. Sounds like shes doing amazingly well. Ella used to desat until she was about 6wks old and then almost overnight it just stopped. They kept telling us shed grow out of it and wudnt ned oxygen and we just couldnt believe it when she literally did. Sounds like it wont b long now before ur home xxx

Thank you for replying. Thats what they said to me, that she will most likely grow out of it....but I know that is isnt always the case. Of course, I dont care if she has to go home on O2 as long as she gets home...but I was just curious if this would stop and was wondering how long other babies spent time on the oxygen from the wall..

She used to have a lot of braddy's and de-sats in one day, even with the oxygen, but the braddys have calmed down alot more to what they were before.

She also got moved in to a cot 6 days ago :happydance:

Hi

My lo was the same she would be ok with oxygen on 0 as there is obviously trickle that comes through and she did grow out of it. The nurses told me the engineers refused to believe anything comes out when they are at 0 but so many babies could keep their sats with it at 0 they disagreed.

When we were weaning my lo completely off oxygen we disconnected the tube from the pipe rather than take the canula off because when we took the canula off she got annoyed which caused her sats to drop.

Yeah thats what the nurses do to Katie, they disconnect her from the wall rather than remove her prongs. Shes managed before a few times without it...but she just cant seem to let go of that little bit of oxygen that gets through. I mean, her sats are always top 90's-100 the majority of the time....hence why they disconnect her, but she doesnt like it....Id understand if she needed alot of o2 but she doesnt...just that TINY amount :wacko:

Hi hun, one of my twins was exactly the same & I remember posting a very similar thread back then! Joshua was ventilated on day 2 and was extubated at day 7 (as was his brother Ben). When they were extubated Ben needed O2 through nasal canulas straight away but Joshua was ok for a couple of days before he started to de-sat and also needed O2.

Ben weaned off the O2 very gradually from about week 5 and was off it by week 6, but Joshua refused to come off it even though he was only on a trickle that couldn't even be measured. It was literally like he could feel it through the canulas and as soon as it was switched off he would desat within minutes, even though he was saturating at 98-100 with it on. We were told that Joshua may need to come home on O2 and that scared me to death, so I posted on here and loads of the lovely ladies told me that one day he would just do it....and surprise surprise he did!

At about 7.5 weeks he did 2 hours off it (after only having done something like 4 minutes the day before) and was still sating at 100 when they put him back on. We were home within about 5 days after that completely oxygen free!

You're little one is doing fantastically and will come off the O2 all of a sudden as well I'm sure x x

hi hun, olivia was on oxygen for ages, until 2 days before she came home and you know how much oxygen she was on!? ''off at the wall'' for the last 2 weeks or so! It was ridiculous!She was fine with the oxygen on '0'' at the wall but as soon as we took her prongs out of her nose she would desat! Then one day, walllah, we disconnected her from the wall and left her prongs in and she was home 2 days later! It used to make me so mad as it was the last thing we were waiting for and as she only needed a trickle of oxygen they said it was pointless sending her home on oxygen so we just had to wait!xx

Sophie was on oxygen until 37 weeks but just a trickle...but then after she came off everything she was having loads of desats, especially when she was feeding. The consultant told us that she would grow out of it - it was all just a matter of everything coming together in her brain. As soon as she hit 39 weeks she was fine! She almost came home on oxygen but didn't in the end. They tried to send her home on oxygen a week before she finally came home but we said we'd rather leave her another week and see what happened....and after that one week she was suddenly fine!

Hope little Katie is doing well - it sounds like she is. Hope you're also doing well :)

:hugs:

Thanks everyone. I hope its the case with Katie too....that she just comes off it with the click of a finger one day. Though, if she has to come home on o2, then thats fine by me...as long as she comes home and I dont have to cremate a 3rd baby then thats fine by me !!

Katie is doing ok thanks. She has water retention in her bits from being on an angle due to reflux...and she has a sticky eye, but shes ok otherwise. Shes 33 weeks and 3 days corrected and we are all ready trying to establish breast feeding :thumbup: xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->