Pacifiers/Dummies/Soothers

K

kandyfloss

Who uses one, who doesnt ? We tried and Samuel hated it.

The other day on the bus when he was babling said 'oh hurry up and give him his dummy' to which I replied 'he doesnt use one' only for her to then say 'Oh thats bad, all babies should have one. Babies NEED them' x

We use one, but I didn't really want too. Coralie kept sucking on mine or DH's fingers though and she's got a really powerful suck, it hurt! So I gave her one.

That's great if your LO doesn't need one, no putting it back in constantly over night :haha:

My LO has one.. I hate it!

What she said is wrong, babies dont NEED dummies at all, clearly talking out her rear end. :flower:

I use one. And TBH I dont mind her having to, if she is content with it, rather than screaming because she needs comfort, so be it :) she isnt bothered though, she can do without it, which is good for when the time comes to take it away.

xx

we use one, only for naps and pushchair =) fine by me, he wanted it i wasnt gonna say no xxx

my LO has one and loves it, doesnt bother me in the slightest if he likes it its fine. Babys are only babies for a while. He didnt have one as a newborn but by week 8 of bf ALL THE TIME,mw suggested a dummy. He wouldnt take to it at first and i had to hold it in!

We used one for about the first 5 months then went on holiday and never used it again lol

Clara had one but only occasionally took it and by 7 months started refusing it. Sometimes I wish she would still take one, but at least I'll never have to wean her off of it.

Paige has one, but will only take it when she is tired and wants to sleep. Also, it falls out when she is half asleep and she doesnt cry for it... which is good! She will straight up refuse to take it when she is awake, happy, chatty etc... and will either stick out her tongue, or grab it and start chewing it

i couldnt live without ours lol
LO just wants to suck and suck all the time
i hated the idea of one before he came but in hospital he just kept sucking my finger all the time so gave him one and it makes him so content lol

We started giving one because Rosie wanted to suck and suck and suck and would cry at my breasts when milk came out! She prefers a finger or her hand but sometimes really loves her binki. She mostly takes it at bedtime after shes done BFing. I'm pretty sure I could toss it now and never think about giving her one again but she does enjoy it sometimes.
BUT That persons comment was RUDE! My little brother (he's 5) NEVER took one and would not take one no matter how hard my mom tried.

neither of mine would take one. I don't think they are bad, babies have a natural sucking reflex that sometimes cannot be satisfied by mother for a number of reasons. Unfortunately I do think they can be misused and sometimes mask wants/needs

I was very anti dummies for some reason then I chilled out a bit. DS would not take one and he is a massive thumb sucker. DD will take one when she wants it but its only about 25% of the time, She either seems to love it or hate it depending on her mood. If it helps her when she wants to suck then I am all for it. It beats her sucking on my nipples for hours which she prefers to do.

Oliver hates his, he would rather suck his bib :haha:

if he needed it, he would take it. stupid comment from stupid person. i love to hear babies babbling - always have, even before i had one - and can't understand why people want them to be quiet all the time. hubby used to think every noise he made meant he was upset, but has got used to him now.

hayden has a dummy and he absolutely loves it, i hate them and wish he had refused it! there is some evidence that it reduces the risk of sids, but i expect if you tried to give one to your lo to sleep, he would just spit it out, so pointless really.

My 2 boys have had them but my daughter wasnt interested in one,I have nothing against them but dont think they are the answer to everything.I hate it when a baby is crying and just gets one shoved in their mouth and held there to shut them up!

My LO doesn't take it, He took it for a couple of days when he was a newborn then decided he wasn't interested in it. Tbh I wasn't very keen on him havin a dummy at the start anyway.

We started giving Fran one because she constantly sucked on her fingers when she was born and had a nasty red sore mark down her chin. But after reading that it is recommended by SIDS charities for them to have one at bedtime until 6 months I didn't feel so bad about giving her one. She only usually wants it when she gets tired and luckily she doesn't wake up when it falls out at night lol.

But not every baby takes to them so you can't force it on them and some mums don't like the idea of their baby having one and won't offer one. I don't think there is a right or wrong - every parent does what is right for their child and for anyone to make comments like that person did to you on the bus needs to be told politely where to go!!!

alfies got a dummy, hes had one since he was born. He only really wants it when hes tired of grumpy as he prefers to blow rasberries and babble nowadays lol.
<3

My 2 boys have had them but my daughter wasnt interested in one,I have nothing against them but dont think they are the answer to everything.I hate it when a baby is crying and just gets one shoved in their mouth and held there to shut them up!

i do that but sometimes its cus LO needs a bit of persuading to actually take it or it just falls out
if hes over tired for example, he'll be getting himself so worked up he doesnt even notice you putting it in his mouth lol so you have to move it round a bit to get him to notice
and i do it especially when were out and its inconvenient to feed there and then, better than letting him get hysterical i always think :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->