Paid less than minimum wage?!

blake12336

Reaction score
So I get paid on the 5th working day of each month, which is usually the 7th. In November I got paid on the 7th, and turned 21 on the 9th.

This month I've been paid £5.95 per hour. I was thinking that it should be £6.31(minimum wage)? But my employer says because I turned 21 part way through the month he won't pay me the 21 NMW till next month. Is this right?

Ummm im not hot on it but id guess he has to pay you from yout birthday

That's what I thought, so two days at £5.95 and the rest at £6.31 right? Is there anywhere I can go to get advice?

That's what I thought, so two days at £5.95 and the rest at £6.31 right? Is there anywhere I can go to get advice?

check with citizens advice, but I'm pretty sure he has to give you from tge day you turned 21

I don't know the answer for sure but I agree with the PP. If you're 21 you should be entitled to minimum wage, very few people will have birthdays nicely placed on pay cut off days so the fact that yours was partway through a month should make no difference. It's not difficult to work it out and I'd push for the money, if you find that you are owed it he's breaking the law. Speaking to CAB is a good idea.

Usually I know employers who average it out. So for the whole of that month you'd get more than 5.95 but less than 6.31

Check on direct.gov.uk loads of advice there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->