panic attacks, 1st trimester, xanax, etc!

CG25

Reaction score
hi everyone i am pregnant with my first baby (about 6 wks) and suffer from panic attacks and anxiety; i have since i was a child. I know that most Drs recommend not to take xanax (i am prescribed for anxiety) during pregnancy and I have NOT taken it since I found out I was pregnant because I want to do what's best!

I did NOT take xanax daily prior to becoming pregnant so it was not difficult for me to stop & withdrawal is not an issue; it is just difficult to deal with the anxiety.

My question is: has anyone else dealt with panic attacks/severe anxiety during pregnancy and how did you cope? My psychiatrist suggested to me that panic attacks may actually be worse for the baby then the xanax and that it is up to me, but I am too afraid to take xanax during pregnancy.

Any advice or experience from anyone else would be super appreciated, thank you xxxxxxxx

I have mild OCD and anxiety, and have only ever had one panic attack. As such I've never been medicated by choice. I started using healing crystals to help me with the OCD and anxiety - even if they don't actually work, they give you something to hold and focus on and try to divert your energy into. Whenever I feel anxious, I usually find that holding one and concentrating on it until the anxiety passes helps.

Good luck.

thanks i will try that :) i try deep breathing stuff etc

im mostly worried about how panic attacks could effect my pregnancy/the baby and that in turn is giving me more anxiety. gah! i wish i could just shut it off. :nope:

I have suffered periods of acute anxiety throughout all of my pregnancies. My daughter seems pretty unaffected. This time I am managing it through calming forms of distraction. I find the most effective one is adult colouring books. I laughed at myself for buying them but when I feel the anxiety setting in I get my pencils out and it calms me for ages and I sleep better. Good luck :hugs:

I've had panic attacks since I was 9. For a couple of years it got so bad that I was put on xanax (as needed), but eventually went off it because I was having bad side effects. I eventually learned to cope with them mostly by deep breathing and closing my eyes, waiting for it to pass.

I had some issues at the beginning of the pregnancy that put me out of my mind and was barely functional. My midwife prescribed buspar as needed (as it's considered safe in pregnancy). I've not taken it much since I started doing better after getting the heartbeat on the doppler, but the times that I did take it, it was a life saver. I really noticed a difference.

Is there perhaps a different anti anxiety medication that you can take that is safer?

Yes, I think so. I'm supposed to see my psychiatrist again next week and I will discuss it with her. I've heard of Buspar, i think it is a non-sedated anti-anxiety med and i will ask about that.

did buspar start helping your anxiety right away or did it take a few weeks to start having effects? thanks!

I've had problems with panic attacks and anxiety for a lot of years. It did flare up quite badly when I was pregnant with my first dd. I was getting at least one panic attack a day, sometimes more. I was prescribed medication, but decided not to take it. I just stuck it out to the end and it was hard, but I managed. I went back on medication after she was born and I started to feel a lot better within a few weeks. I can't see any effect the anxiety had on my dd. I had a problem free pregnancy and she's now a healthy, lively 3 year old.

You could try deep breathing relaxation. I've found that's helped me in the past. Also, try and challenge your anxious thoughts, rather then letting them run wild. I do feel for you, it's awful having bad anxiety and panic attacks x

Yes, I think so. I'm supposed to see my psychiatrist again next week and I will discuss it with her. I've heard of Buspar, i think it is a non-sedated anti-anxiety med and i will ask about that.

did buspar start helping your anxiety right away or did it take a few weeks to start having effects? thanks!

It helped right away (at least for me - maybe took a small amount of time to kick in, but I'd say within 15 minutes or less - never thought about it too much). It seems kind of similar to xanax in that regards. It can be taken as needed rather than needing to take it daily and have it built up in your system. That's what I've liked about it so I know that I'm not just pumping drugs into my system unless I know that I absolutely have to have it (though it's a different story if it's chronic anxiety and needs to be taken daily, so I'm not saying anything against those that do, but that's a different story).

I think mine's a pretty low dose too. It's been a little since I've needed it, but it really has helped when I have needed it. It helped me become functional and able to focus instead of laying in bed crying the whole day.

It helped right away (at least for me - maybe took a small amount of time to kick in, but I'd say within 15 minutes or less - never thought about it too much). It seems kind of similar to xanax in that regards. It can be taken as needed rather than needing to take it daily and have it built up in your system. That's what I've liked about it so I know that I'm not just pumping drugs into my system unless I know that I absolutely have to have it (though it's a different story if it's chronic anxiety and needs to be taken daily, so I'm not saying anything against those that do, but that's a different story).

I think mine's a pretty low dose too. It's been a little since I've needed it, but it really has helped when I have needed it. It helped me become functional and able to focus instead of laying in bed crying the whole day.

oh wow, that's nice to hear that it doesnt take a few weeks to have effects because i know some other medications can be that way. that sounds like a good option for me. thanks so much for sharing xxx

hi everyone i am pregnant with my first baby (about 6 wks) and suffer from panic attacks and anxiety; i have since i was a child. I know that most Drs recommend not to take xanax (i am prescribed for anxiety) during pregnancy and I have NOT taken it since I found out I was pregnant because I want to do what's best!

I did NOT take xanax daily prior to becoming pregnant so it was not difficult for me to stop & withdrawal is not an issue; it is just difficult to deal with the anxiety.

My question is: has anyone else dealt with panic attacks/severe anxiety during pregnancy and how did you cope? My psychiatrist suggested to me that panic attacks may actually be worse for the baby then the xanax and that it is up to me, but I am too afraid to take xanax during pregnancy.

Any advice or experience from anyone else would be super appreciated, thank you xxxxxxxx

I have a very severe case of anxiety that leads to schizophrenic episodes if I don't handle the anxiety properly. So I know how you feel. XANAX is A CATEGORY X. It (specifically) is KNOWN to cause MUTATION. Do not take it. A psychiatrist is not an OBGYN. I have to talk myself out of anxiety by rationalizing it, sometimes out loud. Like "this is completely irrational and there is nothing i can do to change the outcome" or whatever it is bothering you. Please don't take xanax at all. Try unisom tablets, only take a half. It'll calm you down, chamomile tea, and also tell yourself you're calm and that everything is going to be ok... message me if you need to talk. I'm on pretty much everyday.... hth

I have been med free for a long time now but I still suffered from anxiety and the occasional panic attack when I was pregnant with my DS. I decided to see a psychiatrist throughout my pregnancy and it helped immensely. A major issue for me was birth - I was totally terrified of that part.

I know this isn't the case for everyone, but my panic disorder has definitely improved since having my DS. There are still a few things that freak me out or places I'd rather not go but it's not a dealbreaker situation anymore.

I found talk therapy to be fantastic when I was pregnant with #1. Like you I've been getting panic attacks since I was a child so I've dealt with this awful thing my whole life. I hope you find a way to deal with this that works for you because I know how debilitating it can be. :hugs:

I have a very severe case of anxiety that leads to schizophrenic episodes if I don't handle the anxiety properly. So I know how you feel. XANAX is A CATEGORY X. It (specifically) is KNOWN to cause MUTATION. Do not take it. A psychiatrist is not an OBGYN. I have to talk myself out of anxiety by rationalizing it, sometimes out loud. Like "this is completely irrational and there is nothing i can do to change the outcome" or whatever it is bothering you. Please don't take xanax at all. Try unisom tablets, only take a half. It'll calm you down, chamomile tea, and also tell yourself you're calm and that everything is going to be ok... message me if you need to talk. I'm on pretty much everyday.... hth

Xanax is category D. It is not category x. I am not taking it but I just wanted to correct you for anyone else out there who may be reading this. I am a nurse.

Thanks so much for your reply I might take you up on that and feel free to msg me any time as well!!

:)

I have had panic attacks and anxiety on and off since childhood, they started in school.
For me getting pregnant really helped, I'd been having cbt for a while before hand and having the baby to focus on helped, though of course everyone is different.
My main anxiety is over medical professionals and being forced to see them all the time actually helped. I've not had an attack since my son. (I'm really proud of myself) I have issues driving new places alone for example and am forced to do that a lot with him, taking him to classes and again I'm much better. You mind find the same thing happens but of course it depends on what sets you off.
I'd recommended carrying on seeing your psychiatric help, I'm so pleased I did CBT (both nhs and private)
I can't help on the meds, I chose not to take them during pregnancy but I was already much better by then. It's a very personal choice.
Good luck :)

Xanax is category D, not X.

I have anxiety, and I've done okay up until the third trimester. I'm now struggling horribly (today has been awful). I was on xanax before my last pregnancy, as needed. Given ativan instead while breastfeeding DS as it's preferred in breastfeeding.

I have actually been reading a lot about it today. The evidence against benzodiazapines is based on poorly done research. It is still concluded to avoid during the first trimester as the issues that were found (in the iffy research) were first trimester issues. There is also a concern for withdrawal if taken close to birth (I would assume this is taking regularly, not on occasion for panic attack, but IDK). I liked this article: https://pro.psychcentral.com/issues-in-treating-anxiety-disorders-in-pregnancy-2/00927.html

Anyway, it does conclude that treating the anxiety may be better than avoiding medication in the second and third trimester, as anxiety itself can lead to poor outcomes (preterm birth, low birth weight, etc) and can also affect the mental development of the child (possible, not proven) if anxiety is severe and goes on long term.

It's something I hope to discuss in depth with my doctor tomorrow, if I can say what I want to say. I think my blood pressure issues I have been having (at the doctors, but not at home) may be anxiety related and not actually a problem with my blood pressure.

I just know this anxiety cannot be good for my unborn child.

Xanax is category D, not X.

I have anxiety, and I've done okay up until the third trimester. I'm now struggling horribly (today has been awful). I was on xanax before my last pregnancy, as needed. Given ativan instead while breastfeeding DS as it's preferred in breastfeeding.

I have actually been reading a lot about it today. The evidence against benzodiazapines is based on poorly done research. It is still concluded to avoid during the first trimester as the issues that were found (in the iffy research) were first trimester issues. There is also a concern for withdrawal if taken close to birth (I would assume this is taking regularly, not on occasion for panic attack, but IDK). I liked this article: https://pro.psychcentral.com/issues-in-treating-anxiety-disorders-in-pregnancy-2/00927.html

Anyway, it does conclude that treating the anxiety may be better than avoiding medication in the second and third trimester, as anxiety itself can lead to poor outcomes (preterm birth, low birth weight, etc) and can also affect the mental development of the child (possible, not proven) if anxiety is severe and goes on long term.

It's something I hope to discuss in depth with my doctor tomorrow, if I can say what I want to say. I think my blood pressure issues I have been having (at the doctors, but not at home) may be anxiety related and not actually a problem with my blood pressure.

I just know this anxiety cannot be good for my unborn child.

Thanks so much for your post. I did a lot of my own research about this and like you said, the evidence that xanax causes birth defects (im not so much talking about withdrawal Bc i never took xanax daily anyways) is conflicting and weak at best.

That said, im such an anxious person that I fear taking xanax might just make me worry about the small chance of it causing issues! So for now it's not worth it to me to take even a small risk.

Misspriss- let me know what your doctor has to say about this if you don't mind. Id be curious to hear :)

Then they changed the category since i was last pregnant...

I spoke with my OB today, she prescribed me Buspar and also gave me a referral for therapy, which I am really looking forward to I think it will help me a lot. Just wanted to keep you updated! Buspar is a pregnancy category B, btw.

I spoke with my OB today, she prescribed me Buspar and also gave me a referral for therapy, which I am really looking forward to I think it will help me a lot. Just wanted to keep you updated! Buspar is a pregnancy category B, btw.

thanks for the update! buspar sounds really promising! i think its a relatively new drug so i dont know a ton about it from work etc. I am going to ask my OB and/or my psychiatrist about it next week when I see them! i hope it helps with your anxiety; let me know how it goes when you start taking it :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->