panic attacks, 1st trimester, xanax, etc!

I spoke with my OB today, she prescribed me Buspar and also gave me a referral for therapy, which I am really looking forward to I think it will help me a lot. Just wanted to keep you updated! Buspar is a pregnancy category B, btw.

thanks for the update! buspar sounds really promising! i think its a relatively new drug so i dont know a ton about it from work etc. I am going to ask my OB and/or my psychiatrist about it next week when I see them! i hope it helps with your anxiety; let me know how it goes when you start taking it :hugs:

I hope it is well. I did read online some OBs were hesitant to prescribe it, preferring ativan instead because it had been more extensively tested, even though it is a category D.

I do worry about the effect on DD's brain, but I also worry about the effect of constant exposure to the stress and anxiety from me.

2nd day, so far the only side effect is tiredness. It is helping with my anxiety a lot. The tiredness could also be because I didn't sleep well the past two nights in a row. I'm just not nearly as anxious, which is great.

2nd day, so far the only side effect is tiredness. It is helping with my anxiety a lot. The tiredness could also be because I didn't sleep well the past two nights in a row. I'm just not nearly as anxious, which is great.

wow, that's terrific. i'm so glad for you that its already providing some relief! i'm pretty sure Buspar (Buspirone) is Category B, but xanax and other benzodiazapenes are Category D.

My anxiety has been so bad the past week or two! Ugh, its the worst. I am going to ask my dr about Buspar etc when I go in later on this week. I've done a lot of reading about this online and it seems that a lot of people do take their regular anti-anxiety meds like Xanax during pregnancy and that no serious risk has been proven, but not much testing has been done in general so risk cannot be ruled out. Like I said before, the uncertainty just makes me too nervous to take xanax at this time bc the risks just dont seem worth it to me, even though my panic/general anxiety is pretty excruciating :cry:

wow, that's terrific. i'm so glad for you that its already providing some relief! i'm pretty sure Buspar (Buspirone) is Category B, but xanax and other benzodiazapenes are Category D.

My anxiety has been so bad the past week or two! Ugh, its the worst. I am going to ask my dr about Buspar etc when I go in later on this week. I've done a lot of reading about this online and it seems that a lot of people do take their regular anti-anxiety meds like Xanax during pregnancy and that no serious risk has been proven, but not much testing has been done in general so risk cannot be ruled out. Like I said before, the uncertainty just makes me too nervous to take xanax at this time bc the risks just dont seem worth it to me, even though my panic/general anxiety is pretty excruciating :cry:

Honestly, I am a little cautious, even though buspar has been around since like the 70s, there is very little research with pregnant women. On the other hand, none is bad, where there is some bad with benzos.

I am more comfortable taking buspar than I was benzos though, there was always the concern they would become addictive or start to build up and need more and more to be effective, and thus I would only take them if my anxiety was AWFUL. Buspar you are supposed to take daily, it does take a while to build up, but it has no risk of addiction or anything, which makes me more comfortable with it. And it really seems to be working great. I have had one of the best evenings I have had since I started being anxious again. I feel normal. Not drugged, not "happy", not altered in any way, except for the fact that I am not longer anxious and on edge. It's just gone. It is nice to feel regular.

Definitely bring it up with your doctor. I have read that it doesn't do anything for some people, but I've been on SSRIs, SNRIs, benzos, and I like the benzos, don't get me wrong, the immediate effectiveness is great, but I am much more comfortable taking buspar because I know it doesn't risk addiction and stuff.

Just wanted to update, went to psychiatrist Friday, we went over my meds. the Buspar worked pretty good but I had to take it all the time and it made my insomnia worse and worse. He said he thought I'd be much better off on Klonopin, and said it would be perfectly safe in the third tri. He did say that benzos would not be good in the first tri or early second, but by the time the baby is close to being born the developmental stuff is all done it's just growth and it would be fine. So he gave me Klonopin again. I had one last night, DS had me extremely anxious. It worked well and I was able to sleep great for the first time in a while. Just wanted to update :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->