pants??

wow glad i asked this question now i'm learning even more words! i wish i had a british accent too, that would be cool, but my british accent sucks hahahah!

Hmmm yes, mealtimes are a law unto themselves, and definitely vary around the country (as well as with class)

Where I'm from we have breakfast, dinner and tea - supper is the light snack before bed with a milky drink
Wheras others have breakfast, lunch and dinner - with tea being a mid afternoon affair of scones and, well, tea!
I've always thought the other type of supper is just another word for evening dinner, but served a little later!

Trousers ARE called 'pants' in some parts of the UK...like in Cumbria lol

I would say lunch is what they used to call tea, but served at lucnhtime - cakes and sarnies etc. Dinner is a large meal but at lunchtime (like on a sunday when you have a roast)

tea is your evening meal. but also dinner if people are eating with you. Supper is a lighter meal had quite late.

Kate I have to say I do think I have a pretty cute accent :rofl:

I forget people use such different words!

I am from the Lancashire side of the Pennines, and moved to Yorkshire 3 years ago, and the biggest problem I have is the names for bread........

When I ask for a 'chip muffin' at the chip shop they look at me like I'm insane...... thinking I want chips, with a chocolate muffin..... but a muffin to me is a bread roll / bread cake / barm cake / bap / choose your own word for that type of bread....lol

I also refer to my trousers as pants.......and my mood as pants lol....

And supper to me would be a bowl of cereal after 9pm :rofl:

I would say lunch is what they used to call tea, but served at lucnhtime - cakes and sarnies etc. Dinner is a large meal but at lunchtime (like on a sunday when you have a roast)

tea is your evening meal. but also dinner if people are eating with you. Supper is a lighter meal had quite late.

Kate I have to say I do think I have a pretty cute accent :rofl:

:saywhat: lol this thread has cracked me up.

Here we have breakfast, lunch, dinner.... lol its easy if you eat dinner at nine at night its still dinner :rofl: ill never get the whole tea/lunch/supper/dinner thing lol :coffee:

This is officially my new favourite thread!!:rofl: And I am soooo going to incorporate "pants" into my vocabulary...I drop the f-bomb way too much and think this is a perfect substitute. Plus, there aren't many British sayings that you can get away with in Canada without sounding like a bit of an idiot. Unfortunately I just can't pull off "rubbish", "brilliant" or "knackered"!! I'll do my best with pants though!

wow glad i asked this question now i'm learning even more words! i wish i had a british accent too, that would be cool, but my british accent sucks hahahah!

Thats so funny when I read peoples post I try to envision what their accents might sound like.

Each time I see this thread called pants I start to giggle LOL

OOOOooooo now bread rolls, that's a whole different ball game :D
Where I come from they are cobs (if they are the crusty sort) and baps if they are the soft floury sort.

Cleo - I've never thought of brilliant and rubbish as being particularly British! Although knackered does seem more at home this side of the pond :D

i used to call trousers, "trousers" but moved up north, & now call them pants!
i went to my boyfriend's parents & they asked if i wanted tea, i thought they meant a cup of tea, they meant "dinner" tea. when i said no, i missed out on a meal! so now, i call it tea.
& i didn't know what a barm was until my boyfriend explained it to me!
i've become more northern!

another good english-ism, is a cigarette can be called a fag! so, "i'm just going to have a fag" has made many american friends of mine laugh.

the one american thing that really, really confused me was biscuits with gravy (in the uk biscuits are cookies, so i thought you all had your cookies covered in gravy - eww!).

OOOOooooo now bread rolls, that's a whole different ball game :D
Where I come from they are cobs (if they are the crusty sort) and baps if they are the soft floury sort.

Nooooo not more bread terms!!!!! :rofl:

i love this thread!!!!!

wow... so many words for bread! here its bread. just bread. or i guess a roll is what you'd have with a roast or something or while you're waiting for your meal at a restaurant... so confusing!!

kates i imagine your accent to sound really cute!! like "ah will nevah go hongree agayan!!" all 'gone with the wind' and all... :) mine is probably the most boring!! and i don't say "aboot" like they make fun of canadians saying "about" on south park!!!

i agree that there are few brit-icisms that could pass without being looked at funny here... here brilliant means really smart, not 'cool', so would make a few eyebrows raise! especially if i said "wow, that's brill!" haha...

dh and i had an argument last week about "chuffed" where he thought it meant dissapointed but i thought it meant excited/pleased... i won, right??

This thread is great, I've been stalking :) . I'm with you about being unable to pull off foreign slang. My DH spent 15 months in New Zealand, and he still calls people 'mate', with no other sign of a kiwi accent :blush:

hahahha my cousin is from texas and he even makes fun of my accent...ok take the words "filled" (chocolate filled donut) and "field" (soccer field) i same them the same way, apparently thats hilarious to him...oh well...but i'm not like the redneck kind like "yea o'er yonder in the holler" hhaaha i'm not that bad

kates, i hope you didn't take that as me making fun of you... i love 'gone with the wind'!! :hugs: i'm sure your accent is super-cute and thx for starting this thread :):):)

hahah on no i didn't think you were making fun of me, gone with the wind is a great movie! my grandma used to talk like that when she was alive, VERY deep southern accent....i'm glad i posted this too, have learned a lot! a guy came in my job today and handed me a bag and was like "do you have a rubbish?" and i immediately thought of this thread...he was american!! don't know why he said that, but hey , i laughed on the inside hahaah

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->