Parent and child parking in supermarkets

Gems

Reaction score
Hi girls, what are your thoughts on pregnant women using the parent and child parking spaces in supermarket car parks?

Gems x

I totally do it in tesco:) They gave me the permit, so i am gonna use it! PLus my boot is jammed so i have to put the shopping in the side doors so need extra room.

Personally i dont even use the parent parking spaces unless i have my kids with me and im nearly 9 months gone with number 4. Just doesnt seem right watching parents with toddlers struggling to find a space when after all we are only pregnant. Thats just my opinion tho lol.

I had an argument with an old man in asda the other day over this.

I parked in one, purely because I am huge and I know it sounds silly but because Im so short and have to have the seat as far forward as it goes, trying to get out the car door is a nightmare anyway where people park so close.

So if there is one free I do tend to park in them, but this old bloke decided he would have a go at me (although he too was parked in one with no kids and he certainly wasnt pregnant!!) but after I explained why he did seem to agree. So yeah, I think we totally have the right to do it!

Being a mum of 3 already and 9 months pregnant for number 4 i can see it from both sides. Altho in would rather struggle a little to get in and out the car and believe me i am huge lol than see little kids having to cross a busy car park. If anything i would prefer to pinch a disabled space as there are always over 20 spare!

I had an argument with an old man in asda the other day over this.

I parked in one, purely because I am huge and I know it sounds silly but because Im so short and have to have the seat as far forward as it goes, trying to get out the car door is a nightmare anyway where people park so close.

So if there is one free I do tend to park in them, but this old bloke decided he would have a go at me (although he too was parked in one with no kids and he certainly wasnt pregnant!!) but after I explained why he did seem to agree. So yeah, I think we totally have the right to do it!

Maybe when u have had your baby and they are of toddler age u will appreciate how annoying it is to see people without kids in tow taking up maybe the last parent space and u trying to navigate a heavy trolley and kids through a busy dangerous carpark.

Calm down! I was only saying from my point of view! I have a 5 year old sister who comes pretty much everywhere with me and so I too see it from both sides.

What pisses me off more is the arrogant people who are neither pregnant or have kids who take up the spaces.

I also have SPD so does that make it ok for me to park in a disabled space? No. But I cant park in a Parent parking space either so im expected to hobble from one end of the car park to the other, putting my baby at risk.

I do agree with haley alittle on this as i know how hard it is being preg and getting out the car believe me , with awful SPD with both pregnancies and other problems it was awful BUT when someone with no kids gets into the carpark without children it does piss ALOT of people off with children , as its so so so hard getting them out of tiny spaces. The only way possible with some cars is to go in them spaces only for parents and child.

Even if it was me going to the supermarket with OH on our own ( when i was having baby numer 2) i wouldnt park there as i knew how hard it is getting my eldest daughter out , and feel bad for people that had little ones to get out that couldnt get a space.

I think you will relise when you have you LO how frustrating it is when there isnt any parking spaces left for you sometime cos of people that dont have kids parked there.

This is just my opionion though :)

Just thouht id add that also as hayley says people have more very young children so for one perosn to use a space instead of trying to get out all of those children its abit unfair :)

Why should you? They are larger for people with prams.

I know what they are for! Like I said, 99% of the time when I go there during the day I do have a LO with me, either my sister or baby cousin. I dont park in them all the time and to be honest I dont usually go into supermarkets before about 9pm when its virtually empty so then I will park in there then.

God I didnt expect to get attacked for parking in a parent and toddler space a couple of times! I know they frustrate people but there are plenty of people who do it so please dont vent it all on me.

God I didnt expect to get attacked for parking in a parent and toddler space a couple of times! I know they frustrate people but there are plenty of people who do it so please dont vent it all on me.

Erm, I didn't quote you I was answering the thread.

Can we use these spaces then? Someone mentioned to me i could but i wasn't sure... I think its a good idea, loads of times i have been shopping recently and some a'hole has parked so close to my door that i've literally had to squash myself in.

I saw a bloke on his own park in one the other day, grassed him up to the security, so he was made to move lol if i'm struggling then so can he!

Just curious, but if someone parks too close then why don't you get you OH to move the car back, then you get in? Or slightly naughtier, park the car a bit squint so people can't get in next to you easily (obviously if it's not busy!). Or, park further away and walk?

Not having a go, just curious.

Sorry girls, i didnt mean to start anyone arguing, only reason i brought up this thread was because i also have SPD and walking can be so painful and also my bump is getting pretty big now and squeezing in to tiny carparking space and getting out can be very painful and also chances are id hit the car next to me with my door.
I just wanted other peoples opinions, didnt want anyone to fall out.
I have read today that they are thinking of also putting a picture of a pregnant woman on some of the signs with the pushchair one.
I personally think it would be a good idea if clearly labelled. Also i reckon supermarkets should allocate more spaces to Parent and child and pregnant ladies. After all it is usually mums who do the big weekly shops !!!

Keep smiling girls xx

Can we use these spaces then? Someone mentioned to me i could but i wasn't sure... I think its a good idea, loads of times i have been shopping recently and some a'hole has parked so close to my door that i've literally had to squash myself in.

I saw a bloke on his own park in one the other day, grassed him up to the security, so he was made to move lol if i'm struggling then so can he!

I thought we could but this thread has taught me otherwise! I still will at tesco though, I have my baby club thing for the window so surely they wouldnt give it to us unless we could use it?

I have read today that they are thinking of also putting a picture of a pregnant woman on some of the signs with the pushchair one.
I personally think it would be a good idea if clearly labelled.

I agree, it would be an idea to have it labelled properly.

Just curious, but if someone parks too close then why don't you get you OH to move the car back, then you get in? Or slightly naughtier, park the car a bit squint so people can't get in next to you easily (obviously if it's not busy!). Or, park further away and walk?

Not having a go, just curious.

Good point but I can't make my OH go with me everywhere when he's at work!

I think supermarkets are a bit tight with the size of spaces to be honest they pack as many in as they can!

Sorry girls, i didnt mean to start anyone arguing, only reason i brought up this thread was because i also have SPD and walking can be so painful and also my bump is getting pretty big now and squeezing in to tiny carparking space and getting out can be very painful and also chances are id hit the car next to me with my door.
I just wanted other peoples opinions, didnt want anyone to fall out.
I personally think it would be a good idea if clearly labelled. Also i reckon supermarkets should allocate more spaces to Parent and child and pregnant ladies. After all it is usually mums who do the big weekly shops !!!

Keep smiling girls xx

Thanks Gems.

No one is falling out, I just felt that the anger was being vented at me when Im sure im not the only pregnant person to use these spaces!

I know how you feel with SPD, mine was diagnosed over the weekend and its absolutely bloody horrible! The amount of times Ive had to squeeze myself into the car because some thoughtless idiot has parked too close is unreal!

That sounds like a great idea with the signs. It frustrates me that there are generally about 20 - 30 disabled parking spaces but only 4 or 5 for parents, they definitely need more!

xx

Well here where I live it's a sign that says expectant mothers and mothers with children.. so I do tend to use them for my benefit.:)

I get so annoyed when I see people with no kids parking in them (probably almost half of the spaces are used with people without kids where we are) but I wouldn't mind someone who's heavily pregnant parking in one - they make spaces so narrow now to get more cars in, and I foung it really hard squeezing out of the car when I was heavily pregnant! Then I'd have to walk right around the edges of the car park because I couldn't turn sideways to fit past wing mirrors any more! Obviously empty disabled ones would be better but they can fine you for parking there without a permit.

I parked in one car park near London (Asda I think) which had mum to be spaces - almost wet myself with excitement!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->