parents who dont vaccinate your babies??

Finally finished reading those studies! :thumbup:

For the first one, from what I got from it, it was mostly about the efficacy of the vaccine . . correct? I'd be lying if I said I didn't find it interesting, however, I do still think the risks associated with any reactions outweigh the benefits in my opinion. I know that a lot of you won't agree with that, but there are still adverse reactions that COULD happen and I find those worse than dealing with the disease itself should my son get it.

That said, I found this study on the efficacy of the MMR vaccine in Finland with regards to an outbreak that occured in 1989, so not long after the MMR vaccine campagne started. I also want to point out that this study was done by one of the same researchers that did the studies Natsku posted. https://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/148/11/1103.full.pdf

A few points I wanted to post on here directly from the study:

1) Outbreaks have occurred among highly vaccinated schoolchildren, especially after documented airborne transmission, even in groups with close to 100 percent vaccination coverage.

2) Some clarification may be afforded by a theory which postulates that a large measles inoculum can cause vaccine failure, since airborne transmission might occasionally entail a massive inoculum

3) An 18-year-old male nonvaccinee at the high school developed symptoms.The 18-year-old index case was unvaccinated because he did not belong to the birth cohorts included in the official vaccination programs, nor had he been exposed to live virus in the sparsely populated rural areas covered by the Mo vaccination program beginning in 1975. **Yes, I realize that an unvaccinated teen started the spread of this within in school, but I think it's worth noting that even in this study they mention there was no way to track how he even got the measles . . whether or not it was from another unvaccinated person or a vaccinated person.**

4) 21 13 to 15-year-old junior high school students and one senior high school student developed measles in one generation during days 8-14 of the epidemic

5) All vaccinees who contracted measles had received their first vaccination after 15 months of age.

6) Vaccinated individuals contracted the disease earlier, on average, than unvaccinated individuals, and two incubation period distributions seemed to be superimposed on the first bimodal wave of high school cases

7) Thirty-six percent of the vaccinated junior high school students
and 8 percent of the vaccinated senior high school students with no history of measles were attacked

8) Unexpectedly, the attack rate among unvaccinated senior high school students who had no record of previous measles was only 6 percent

9) Measles risk was high among within-family exposed subjects, regardless of the number of vaccinations

10) In relatively new and airtight buildings, the vaccine failure rate was 48 percent. In contrast, no cases occurred in the older, more air-permeable houses. At least 69 percent of vaccine failures occurred after intense indoor exposure, either in the local high school or at home.

11) Both properly vaccinated and unvaccinated primary patients were equally contagious within families: The attack rates among family members were 47 percent and 43 percent, respectively.

12) Almost 80 percent of vaccinations could have been technically deficient, as seven out of nine failed when a sibling shared a bedroom with an index case

13) Furthermore, even if the division of vaccine failures into clearly either primary or secondary failure was accurate, an increased inoculum of measles would not have altered vaccine failure risk

14) However, our vaccinated index cases were no less contagious than unvaccinated index cases

15) In general, one has to be cautious when making generalizations from exceptional outbreaks, as they need something "unusual" in order to be
triggered, not just an unvaccinated individual.

16) Since airborne transmission might occasionally exceed the measles inoculum threshold, this could explain why even revaccinated individuals get
measles. It would thus appear that the presence of airborne transmission is one reason why eradication of measles has been much more difficult than originally anticipated.

I also wanted to post this:
"Peltola and Associates contributed a research letter to The Lancet, which was published in May 1998. The study terminated in 1996, two full years before Wakefield published his original findings and when he was specifically questioned, Professor Peltola stated that the study had not been designed to identify autism as a complication. Professor Peltola reported that about three million doses of the combined live-virus vaccine [MMR or Virivac Merck, West Point, PA, USA] had been administered in Finland between 1982 and 1996. He also listed the adverse events reported shortly after vaccination and their follow-up. The study, which was supported by a grant from Merck, did not investigate or report complications, which started weeks or months after vaccination. Again, Autism and IBD were not suspected to be, in any way related to MMR vaccination before 1998, and had not once been mentioned in the original 1994 publication." Here's a link to that letter: https://www.lancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(98)24018-9/fulltext

Lastly, I found this study published in 2005 on the increase in autism in Northern Finland. I do want to point out that I don't think the MMR vaccine is the primary cause of autism, however, I do believe that the heavy metals in vaccines can trigger autism in some children. Here's the link for the study: https://herkules.oulu.fi/isbn9514276221/isbn9514276221.pdf

Some points from the study I wanted to post:

1) About three to fourfold prevalence of AD in Northern Finland was found when compared to 16 years ago. **16 years ago, according to this study, would have been 1989 . . only 7 years after the MMR campaign started**

2) More concerning is the fact that the increase in younger children, all born in the second half of the MMR campaign, was even more spectacular. The cumulative incidence in the 5-7 age group specifically was 20.7/10,000 or more than 1 in 500 children.

3) A cumulative incidence of autism in Northern Finland of 12.2/10,000 an alarming increase when compared to the previously reported incidence of 4.75/10,000 in 1991.

I'm not expecting to change anyone's mind when I post my opinion or studies I find, but one of the main reasons I chose not to vaccinate my son was because there really are no long-term safety tests done on these vaccines. Pharmaceutical companies and the FDA have a bad reputation for releasing certain drugs and deeming them safe and it's not until years later that we find out the damage they truly cause. I strongly believe this could be the case with vaccines. If, at some point, I feel the need to vaccinate my son . . if we travel somewhere, etc . . then of course I'll revist the idea of getting him vaccinated, but until then, I believe that he is better off without them for various reasons including the long-term safety testing mentioned above.

The study you link to gave two possible explanations for the vaccine failures - the large measles inoculum that you pointed out and a break in the cold chain as the vaccines were transported in a handbag rather than in a refrigerated container and if the vaccines are exposed to warmth for too long (which it seems was quite possible in that situation) then they become much less effective. I think the fact that the MMR has been shown to be very effective since then makes it seem quite likely that it was caused by something like that.

And about my study, I'm sure I remember reading that it was particularly noteworthy because it did not set a time limit on reporting adverse effects so surely that means it would have considered issues that came up weeks or months later?

Interesting about the increase in autism in Northern Finland. I do wonder what the cause of that is. They certainly do have more issues than the rest of Finland, healthwise, I remember there is a certain town up north that has its own form of mental ******ation named after the town as they were so inbred, trying to remember what it was, damn my memory.

I read that too, but they could not determine the exact reason for the outbreak so it could be either one of those reasons.

Weeks and months later are different than years later. It could take years for someone to show they had a certain reaction to a vaccine, it may not be immediate :)

They do also note in the study that you posted cmarie that the incidence if these are higher in th actually diseases themselves, I think I read in one case 400 fold higher? I'm on my phone at mo so wasn't able to quote detail directly.

Sorry, I'm not sure which link you're referring to . . maybe post when you're not on your phone so I can read the quote? :thumbup:

Finally finished reading those studies! :thumbup:

For the first one, from what I got from it, it was mostly about the efficacy of the vaccine . . correct? I'd be lying if I said I didn't find it interesting, however, I do still think the risks associated with any reactions outweigh the benefits in my opinion. I know that a lot of you won't agree with that, but there are still adverse reactions that COULD happen and I find those worse than dealing with the disease itself should my son get it.

That said, I found this study on the efficacy of the MMR vaccine in Finland with regards to an outbreak that occured in 1989, so not long after the MMR vaccine campagne started. I also want to point out that this study was done by one of the same researchers that did the studies Natsku posted. https://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/148/11/1103.full.pdf

A few points I wanted to post on here directly from the study:

1) Outbreaks have occurred among highly vaccinated schoolchildren, especially after documented airborne transmission, even in groups with close to 100 percent vaccination coverage.

2) Some clarification may be afforded by a theory which postulates that a large measles inoculum can cause vaccine failure, since airborne transmission might occasionally entail a massive inoculum

3) An 18-year-old male nonvaccinee at the high school developed symptoms.The 18-year-old index case was unvaccinated because he did not belong to the birth cohorts included in the official vaccination programs, nor had he been exposed to live virus in the sparsely populated rural areas covered by the Mo vaccination program beginning in 1975. **Yes, I realize that an unvaccinated teen started the spread of this within in school, but I think it's worth noting that even in this study they mention there was no way to track how he even got the measles . . whether or not it was from another unvaccinated person or a vaccinated person.**

4) 21 13 to 15-year-old junior high school students and one senior high school student developed measles in one generation during days 8-14 of the epidemic

5) All vaccinees who contracted measles had received their first vaccination after 15 months of age.

6) Vaccinated individuals contracted the disease earlier, on average, than unvaccinated individuals, and two incubation period distributions seemed to be superimposed on the first bimodal wave of high school cases

7) Thirty-six percent of the vaccinated junior high school students
and 8 percent of the vaccinated senior high school students with no history of measles were attacked

8) Unexpectedly, the attack rate among unvaccinated senior high school students who had no record of previous measles was only 6 percent

9) Measles risk was high among within-family exposed subjects, regardless of the number of vaccinations

10) In relatively new and airtight buildings, the vaccine failure rate was 48 percent. In contrast, no cases occurred in the older, more air-permeable houses. At least 69 percent of vaccine failures occurred after intense indoor exposure, either in the local high school or at home.

11) Both properly vaccinated and unvaccinated primary patients were equally contagious within families: The attack rates among family members were 47 percent and 43 percent, respectively.

12) Almost 80 percent of vaccinations could have been technically deficient, as seven out of nine failed when a sibling shared a bedroom with an index case

13) Furthermore, even if the division of vaccine failures into clearly either primary or secondary failure was accurate, an increased inoculum of measles would not have altered vaccine failure risk

14) However, our vaccinated index cases were no less contagious than unvaccinated index cases

15) In general, one has to be cautious when making generalizations from exceptional outbreaks, as they need something "unusual" in order to be
triggered, not just an unvaccinated individual.

16) Since airborne transmission might occasionally exceed the measles inoculum threshold, this could explain why even revaccinated individuals get
measles. It would thus appear that the presence of airborne transmission is one reason why eradication of measles has been much more difficult than originally anticipated.

I also wanted to post this:
"Peltola and Associates contributed a research letter to The Lancet, which was published in May 1998. The study terminated in 1996, two full years before Wakefield published his original findings and when he was specifically questioned, Professor Peltola stated that the study had not been designed to identify autism as a complication. Professor Peltola reported that about three million doses of the combined live-virus vaccine [MMR or Virivac Merck, West Point, PA, USA] had been administered in Finland between 1982 and 1996. He also listed the adverse events reported shortly after vaccination and their follow-up. The study, which was supported by a grant from Merck, did not investigate or report complications, which started weeks or months after vaccination. Again, Autism and IBD were not suspected to be, in any way related to MMR vaccination before 1998, and had not once been mentioned in the original 1994 publication." Here's a link to that letter: https://www.lancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(98)24018-9/fulltext

Lastly, I found this study published in 2005 on the increase in autism in Northern Finland. I do want to point out that I don't think the MMR vaccine is the primary cause of autism, however, I do believe that the heavy metals in vaccines can trigger autism in some children. Here's the link for the study: https://herkules.oulu.fi/isbn9514276221/isbn9514276221.pdf

Some points from the study I wanted to post:

1) About three to fourfold prevalence of AD in Northern Finland was found when compared to 16 years ago. **16 years ago, according to this study, would have been 1989 . . only 7 years after the MMR campaign started**

2) More concerning is the fact that the increase in younger children, all born in the second half of the MMR campaign, was even more spectacular. The cumulative incidence in the 5-7 age group specifically was 20.7/10,000 or more than 1 in 500 children.

3) A cumulative incidence of autism in Northern Finland of 12.2/10,000 an alarming increase when compared to the previously reported incidence of 4.75/10,000 in 1991.

I'm not expecting to change anyone's mind when I post my opinion or studies I find, but one of the main reasons I chose not to vaccinate my son was because there really are no long-term safety tests done on these vaccines. Pharmaceutical companies and the FDA have a bad reputation for releasing certain drugs and deeming them safe and it's not until years later that we find out the damage they truly cause. I strongly believe this could be the case with vaccines. If, at some point, I feel the need to vaccinate my son . . if we travel somewhere, etc . . then of course I'll revist the idea of getting him vaccinated, but until then, I believe that he is better off without them for various reasons including the long-term safety testing mentioned above.

The study you link to gave two possible explanations for the vaccine failures - the large measles inoculum that you pointed out and a break in the cold chain as the vaccines were transported in a handbag rather than in a refrigerated container and if the vaccines are exposed to warmth for too long (which it seems was quite possible in that situation) then they become much less effective. I think the fact that the MMR has been shown to be very effective since then makes it seem quite likely that it was caused by something like that.

And about my study, I'm sure I remember reading that it was particularly noteworthy because it did not set a time limit on reporting adverse effects so surely that means it would have considered issues that came up weeks or months later?

Interesting about the increase in autism in Northern Finland. I do wonder what the cause of that is. They certainly do have more issues than the rest of Finland, healthwise, I remember there is a certain town up north that has its own form of mental ******ation named after the town as they were so inbred, trying to remember what it was, damn my memory.

I read that too, but they could not determine the exact reason for the outbreak so it could be either one of those reasons.

Weeks and months later are different than years later. It could take years for someone to show they had a certain reaction to a vaccine, it may not be immediate :)

Yeah could have been either.

It was a 14 year study, they followed up on average 9 years later so thats plenty of time for a reaction to show up.

Urgh why did I have to look up that genetic disease? This whole country is so freaking inbred, there are so many hereditary diseases here that you don't get in other countries - makes me scared to have more children :(

I thought this link was interesting as well on a mumps outbreak in New Jersey. It apparently started from an 11 year old boy who returned home after a trip to the UK where there was an outbreak.

"Anyone fully vaccinated from mumps receives two doses of the vaccine, according to the CDC. Of the New Jersey cases, 77 percent were vaccinated, Terjesen said. But the vaccine is not 100 percent effective, according to the CDC. At two doses, the vaccine is 76 to 95 percent effective, the CDC says on its Web site."

https://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/08/mumps.outbreak.northeast/index.html

Gosh man, you can dance around the issue. I wish you'd answer my question. Will you have sympathy for a mom who refuse the MMR vaccination to her younger children when an older one got a serious reaction after getting the MMR?

I guess you're pushed into a corner, that's why you refuse to answer. If you answer No, you look like what I called you...having a harsh opinion. If you answer yes, then it's in direct oppositition of what you said "I have no understanding for non-vaccination" about the MMR.

Forget about my friend, I don't want you to say anything about that. Forget about where I live, I don't care about that. Forget everything, just answer my question with a simple yes or no?

If you don't want to, I'll drop this here. It serves no purpose to this debate anymore. :shrug:
I didn't feel backed into a corner, but if you really think the core of this debate is my answering your loaded question which is hardly based on any hard facts then OK - but it's not as simple as "yes" or "no" so please don't reduce it to that.

Of course I would have understanding for a parent hesitating on vaccination if that is the medical history in their family. But that has to be one of the rarest reasons for choosing not to vaccinate, the main one recently being the panic caused by the fraudulent Wakefield study and the misinformation it spread.

Gosh man, you can dance around the issue. I wish you'd answer my question. Will you have sympathy for a mom who refuse the MMR vaccination to her younger children when an older one got a serious reaction after getting the MMR?

I guess you're pushed into a corner, that's why you refuse to answer. If you answer No, you look like what I called you...having a harsh opinion. If you answer yes, then it's in direct oppositition of what you said "I have no understanding for non-vaccination" about the MMR.

Forget about my friend, I don't want you to say anything about that. Forget about where I live, I don't care about that. Forget everything, just answer my question with a simple yes or no?

If you don't want to, I'll drop this here. It serves no purpose to this debate anymore. :shrug:
I didn't feel backed into a corner, but if you really think the core of this debate is my answering your loaded question which is hardly based on any hard facts then OK - but it's not as simple as "yes" or "no" so please don't reduce it to that.

Of course I would have understanding for a parent hesitating on vaccination if that is the medical history in their family. But that has to be one of the rarest reasons for choosing not to vaccinate, the main one recently being the panic caused by the fraudulent Wakefield study and the misinformation it spread.

I know many parents who don't vaccinate their kids, and this is not the reason AT ALL as to why we don't vaccinate. If anything, autism in one of the more minor reasons among the unvaccinated parents, including myself, to not vaccinate. What you just said is actually misinformation.

What about those of us with children who have allergies to dairy or eggs? Should we get them vaccinated in hopes that they don't have an allergic reaction? If anything, that's one of the more main reasons I've heard for not vaccinating.

I know many parents who don't vaccinate their kids, and this is not the reason AT ALL as to why we don't vaccinate. If anything, autism in one of the more minor reasons among the unvaccinated parents, including myself, to not vaccinate. What you just said is actually misinformation
What are the reasons?

ETA: I am talking about Europe and the UK, where vaccine uptake dropped dramatically after the Wakefield scandal https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/...ered-from-Wakefield-scandal-figures-show.html

True in your country, I guess. (Like I said, here we only give the measles stand alone injection, so a decline in the private sector's MMR didn't have much impact on disease rates as far as I know). So I might agree with you on that one. I think the wakefield study caused more damage to BOTH sides (vaccination and non-vaccination) that what was intended.

Come to speak of that. Why doesn't countries that usually offer the MMR, at least provide the stand alone measles injection to those parents that specifically object to the MMR, which is the one "accused" of triggering autism?

True in your country, I guess. (Like I said, here we only give the measles stand alone injection, so a decline in the private sector's MMR didn't have much impact on disease rates as far as I know). So I might agree with you on that one. I think the wakefield study caused more damage to BOTH sides (vaccination and non-vaccination) that what was intended.

Come to speak of that. Why doesn't countries that usually offer the MMR, at least provide the stand alone measles injection to those parents that specifically object to the MMR, which is the one "accused" of triggering autism?
You can get it privately in the UK, but the NHS only funds the MMR triple injection if I recall correctly.

You can get it privately in the UK, but the NHS only funds the MMR triple injection if I recall correctly.

From the NHS website

Single measles, mumps and rubella vaccines

Single vaccines are not routinely given in the UK. They're not available on the NHS as there is a risk that fewer children would receive all the necessary injections, increasing the levels of measles, mumps and rubella in the UK.
The delay in having six separate injections would also put more children at risk of developing the conditions, as well as increasing the amount of work and inconvenience for parents and those administering the vaccines.

I know many parents who don't vaccinate their kids, and this is not the reason AT ALL as to why we don't vaccinate. If anything, autism in one of the more minor reasons among the unvaccinated parents, including myself, to not vaccinate. What you just said is actually misinformation
What are the reasons?

ETA: I am talking about Europe and the UK, where vaccine uptake dropped dramatically after the Wakefield scandal https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/...ered-from-Wakefield-scandal-figures-show.html

Ingredients are a big one. Studies show how toxic aluminum and thimerosal (mercury) are on the brain individually, but there's not studies showing their side effects when they are put together or in a vaccine. Adverse reactions and allergic reactions are huge as well.

Interesting how we can all read the same things and get completely different things from it.

If I also remember correctly the seperate are also not as effective, but I will stand corrected.

In a different thread someone posted some stats which showed the chances of being killed/damaged by an illness versus the chance of vaccine damage. It was a huge difference.

I understand why people wouldn't vaccinate if there was a family history of reactions to vaccinations but if there is not, it is best to vaccinate.

What about those parents with children who have allergies (egg, dairy, etc) and they don't know how their child will react to the vaccine because of these allergies? Do you think that these parents should get their children vaccinated in hopes that they don't have an allergic reaction to them?

I think they should discuss it with their doctor, and decide on the best course of action.

If I also remember correctly the seperate are also not as effective, but I will stand corrected.

I was also always under that impression too, was surprised to see it wasn't mentioned on the NHS site.

In a different thread someone posted some stats which showed the chances of being killed/damaged by an illness versus the chance of vaccine damage. It was a huge difference.

I understand why people wouldn't vaccinate if there was a family history of reactions to vaccinations but if there is not, it is best to vaccinate.

What about those parents with children who have allergies (egg, dairy, etc) and they don't know how their child will react to the vaccine because of these allergies? Do you think that these parents should get their children vaccinated in hopes that they don't have an allergic reaction to them?

I think they should discuss it with their doctor, and decide on the best course of action.

What I was saying is that there's no way to know how each child will react, even a doctor knows that. Someone in here commented on her daughter being fine. After her vaccines despite her egg allergy, but who's to say my son would have the same reaction? I wouldn't know until after the vaccine and it may be too late at that point depending on the severity of the allergic reaction

I read somewhere, don't know what country it was referring to though, that said that when vaccinating children with severe allergies they do it in the hospital with pediatric supervision so if a reaction occurs the necessary treatment can be given immediately. I think that would make it reasonably safe.

I know that my surgery will not vaccinate without a dr 'in'. I would also assume that by the time mmr time comes you would know whether there was an serious reaction to egg/dairy etc. in kiddies.

I'd also recommend looking at The Vaccine Book by Robert Sears, MD (his dad is Wm Sears, who has written loads of baby books, especially the baby sleep book (advocates against CIO, CC), etc., but it gives loads of info so the parent can make an informed decision either way.

For me, personally, LO has had all of his vaccinations, but I am delaying the MMR to 15 months as several countries disagree with a 12 month schedule. I had them all as a child (and the MMR as an adult as in NY State, you need to have it for education (I went to university in NYC)) and it was nothing (I think).....

best wishes

I had the MMR as an adult as well because my mum couldn't remember if I had it as a kid :dohh: so ended up getting three doses (though at least that means I'm more likely to still be immune, always a good thing)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->