party food help

chichestermum

mummy of 2 :)
Reaction score
So my DD turns 3 on friday and her party is on saturday, were hoping for some fab weather! as the party is outdoors!

party food wise im doing naughty things, so chicken nuggets, sausage rolls, smiley faces, sandwiches, cakes, sweets, crisps, then going to to a bowl of salad and fruit just to add the healthy element! tho im sure these wont get touched!

im wondering about the food that needs to be cooked, so the chicken nuggets, sausage rolls and smiley faces, the party starts at 10 food served at 12, so i dont want to have to go inside away from the party (my DD very first big party!) and spend however long in the kitchen cooking the bits and trying to keep them warm out the oven while the next things cook! im wondering if i can cook them in the morning, so put them in at 9am and cook as guidelines say, and then store them on the tinfoil serving trays covered and waiting to get put back in the over to be re heated before being taken out to the children, obviously i dont want to give the kids food poisoning aswell as a sugar/fatty fest! but i dont wanna be away from the party for too long! i have MIL who has offered to help, but when i said oh well you could help by putting the first half of the stuff into the oven and sorting out half the food before i take over half way to finish the food and serve up, to this she said that she would just keep an eye on the party for me so that i could just get on in the kitchen, when i said well i dont just want to get on in the kitchen id rather do it half and half so i dont miss out on too much she told me to stop being so silly! My mum will also be there but shes such a bad cook that she would probably cut off her hand by peeling bananas! OH is useless in the kitchen so its just me. Obviously if its too much risk to the kids tummies then id rather cook it before serving.

i just wanted some opinions on this and if you think it would be ok to cook them early and then re heat them in the oven.
and any opinions on how to keep the food hot whilst its waiting to be taken to the park would help too! thankyou! xxx

I think cooking it in the morning and then keeping it warm would work out perfectly...plus you'd hate yourself for missing too much of the festivities!

Things like chicken nuggets and sausage rolls could always be served, Ive been to plenty of kids parties where this has been done. Not sure about the smiley faces though.
I wouldnt personally chance re-heating chicken though (not sure if you can or not and what the rules are), just wouldnt myself :flower:

Keeping it warm or cooking it on a low heat for a while may be an option though :)

I would cook the chicken nuggets and saussage rollls in the morning an serve them cold, and as for the smilie faces i wouldnt worry about doing them as by the sound of it you have plenty of other food to choose from x

Thanks :) i think im going to cook sausage rolls and chicken in the AM and serve them cold. im still in 2 minds about cooking the smilies and reheating them, or leaving the festivities and cooking them when theyre needed. iv never heared anybody becoming ill from smilies, plus i would be checking with electric thermometer to make sure they get over temp to kill of any baddies, im swaying more to reheating them since they probably wont get eaten anyway with all the cake and sweets that will be on offer!

MRSTJ i would just leave them off, as i know we dont need them, but this was the 1 thing DD insisted on having when we were ordering the party food, she was running around shouting smilies smilies smiles!!!! lol! plus i havnt got room to keep 2 bags of smileys in the freezer for longer than thursday (shopping delivery day!) to saturday lol! our normal shopping gets delivered on sunday lol!

I agree I dont think the smilies would do any harm once reheated, it would have been the chicken nuggets that would be funny. Smilies are just potato I think which I always reheat :flower:

As long as i make sure the smilies reach the temp (think its 70 degrees c but il have to double check this) then they should be fine! Thanks :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->