PCOS ladies - Advice???

usmcwife.em

Pet Mom
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with PCOS in November of 2010, my boyfriend and I are not TTC and we do use condoms most of the time. My doctor had me on a tri-phasic BCP for about a year to help with the PCOS but the last 2-3 months I started spotting pretty much all month long and I had horrible headaches all the time. Went to him last week and he put me on a low dose BCP that is not tri-phasic but rather a constant dose. Spotting stopped within a few days, but every time my boyfriend and I have sex I spot again. Any thoughts? Dr mentioned if the spotting continues after 2-3 months he wants to do an ultrasound and check the uterine lining for thickness and if need be adjust hormone levels again and as a last resort he is willing to do a d n c and allow me to do the mirena iud (bf and I do not want kids anytime soon and I actually would prefer a longer term contraceptive).

I have no idea, but I have PCOS (and insulin resistance) and my doctor told me it's a bad idea to use the BCP to regulate periods etc because it only works in the short term, but is actually bad for you in the long term. So I would come off the BCP altogether if I were you. It certainly sounds like it doesn't do your body any good.

DF and I have used condoms alone for 5 years with no issues. :shrug: What I did was to do the old diet and exercise thing. Trying to be as healthy as possible, and minimising toxins in the environment. Look into what herbal and mineral substances can regulate your hormones as opposed to the artificial BCP. Btw, using organic tampons where possible and cloth pads at night has made a difference to my AF, too.

You would probably be spotting because you're having rises and then dips in oestrogen and progesterone, which is still present even on birth control. But you probably knew that already. :)

I would seriously avoid a D & C at ALL costs. That's some serious stuff!

Hope this helps.

Hello,

I have been diagnosed with PCOS since 2007 and I have been on birth control since 2009 (not continuously though, since I had to stop when pregnant obviously). I see a doctor who specializes in endocrine disorders and infertility problems (he does my regular GYN care as well as monitoring my condition). I have never had the problems with birth control that you have written about.

The first birth control pill I was on was Loestrin 24 FE, a combination of norethindrone acetate and ethinyl estradiol, which worked very well for me but unfortunately is no longer manufactured. I did spot on this for a few months because I was forgetting to take pills and my hormone levels weren't right.

The second was Generess FE, which is also norethindrone and ethinyl estradiol, which my doctor claims is almost identical to Loestrin. I had no side effects from this pill either, but I had to discontinue it because my insurance refuses to cover it at all.

Currently, I have been using Nuvaring (Etonogestrel and ethinyl estradiol) and I haven't noticed any side effects thus far. I like this birth control because I don't have to remember to take it every day.

My doctor recommends Metformin (brand name Glucophage), not birth control, to regulate periods; he prescribes me birth control for pregnancy prevention AND Metformin. Since PCOS has the insulin resistance part, diabetic medications seem to be effective in treating PCOS. Weight loss/exercise also help regulate cycles. A friend of mine has opted for medication-free management and she limits sugars and carbs and exercises. I have just started an exercise routine to stop becoming so reliant on medication.

I've never heard of having a D&C done for PCOS. A thickened uterine lining is more associated with Endometriosis, which I also have (very mild) and my doctor did a laparoscopy to diagnose and treat that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->