Pdd-nos?

littlestep

Reaction score
My Child, At 18 months stopped using the few words she had learned example "bye, bye baby". She could not speak her needs, do simple step instructions. She would not respond to her name called. She used unintelligent jargon. Frightened of any toy with a face "except one Bear which was made like a blanket - she named it Mimi. Almost the only word she would utter. She did not have acceptable play tactics with other children-just seemed to not understand the "unwritten rules of play", but loved children! She could work simple child computer web cites and simple hand held games starting at age 2. Worked puzzles, shape sorters, mr. potato head etc. Gives me penetrating stares often avoids eye contact with others. She started receiving speech and developmental therapy through a State program. She passed a hearing test. I had her tested by a child psychologist at 21 months and was told "let's wait and see". I have to say that I never sat down, I would always try to help her. She would take my hand and walk me to the cabinet or what-ever and place my hand upon it, then I would have to start by elimination of its contents to see what it was she needed. I took pictures of her favorite things - so she could selected from them. She learned simple sign language and used it. Just before age 3 she was evaluated by a top Speech therapist in the area for entry into public school and she told me that she had never seen a child with such a severe delay as she that had not already shut down. She started preschool on her third birthday (at present she has went through the preschool program 2 1/2 times now) . When she started school she did not respond to "wh" questions. Did not say her name. - as stated above. but Started using two limited words simple sentences. At 4 years old her pediatrician suggested she had PDD-NOS. Gave me a referral to child evaluation center. I refused to send her at this time. Instead, I took her back and had her tested by her child psychologist and was told "she just doesn't fit autism", "I don't know what to think of her", "let's wait and see", "bring her back when she is 5". He did not rule out PDD-NOS. Her pediatrician later suggested she was Mentally ******** and I should just except it. I would not. (thank goodness pediatricians can not give a diagnosis to this!!) I called her child psychologist and asked if this was likely and was I in denial. He replied "It's too soon to diagnosis, Let's wait and see, bring her back when she is 5." I "knew" her without using words. I just knew in my heart that all she needed constant interaction. Each day after school I would ask her what she did that day her response would be "school" as it was with most every question I would ask her-she would just repeat the major word, but I could see what was not spoken in her face and in the way she held herself. She was most always a Happy child!! One day after school she got off the bus crying I asked her what was wrong-to my surprise- she answered "Ms SO through my donut in the trash" I Cried TOO. After that day she started using more and more words and called her self her NAME!! At Christmas we talked about Santa coming and at her suggestion put out milk and cookies!! I was never sure that we would ever do this together - My heart was exploding! Since Christmas the turn-of-about have been amazing!! She can say and talk about most everything!! Her pediatrician is without words-at her 5 year check-up she said "isn't this great all she has is a stuffy nose!" I asked her of her former statement and she replied that she was not God and can not judge. The only remains of this .... She has a very short list of foods she will eat and is sometimes brand sensitive ((example - pancakes and sausage (only preformed frozen sausage), pizza (only Totino's pizza) chocolate pudding, yogurt, fruity pebbles with milk and cheerios without milk. Her food list is not much longer than what has been mentioned but with same scenarios. I do fix her a small plate of what we are eating and purchase her a lunch at school each day just incase she ever wants to try something new. Her Teacher says she fixes her plate but she never eats except for Pancake day. ((I do send her a sausage (her favorite) to school everyday)) She repeats Momma, Momma, Momma, Mommy --Momma "constantly" after most everything she says. (music to my ears!!) I have noticed her slowing down a little on the momma's lately. She speaks of herself in 1st person and uses "we" for "me".(she has told me - she has an imaginary friend with same name as her) She uses he and she or him and her in wrong context but does know the difference between girl and boy. She frequently Panics if things are not just as she thinks they should be, she is neat compared to most children her age, she will occasionally spin or walk in circles when upset, nervous or bored. She is now going into kindergarten the the school is wanting to test her for communication status her speech therapist there thinks she may not know the difference between yes and no) - I know she does. If you ask her for example "are you a boy" she will state No - Girl. I am her mother and I know her best. I am going to have her tested for the third time by her child psychologist again this summer. I am very anguish to know what he has to say about her this time. I continue with other evaluations elsewhere if this is his suggestion or if I ever feel the desperate need. This child psychologist of hers does not take insurance so it is expensive but I have been frightened that she would receive a wrong diagnoses at such a young age and she would have to live with that label for the rest of her life. I like the privacy of this. She has a team working for her, her family, teachers, therapist, etc. I am grateful! Whatever was/is going on with her is diminishing and she has largely learned how to control herself. She has a fantastic imagination! She knows so many many many things - like she has been taking it all in like a sponge all this time. There are still times when I do not understand what she is trying to tell me - this is can be frustrating for her. I continue to give her all the help I can and look for new ways to help her. My prayers have been answered and I have been blessed -- She talks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!""ALL THE TIME""!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is there anyone here that can share similar experience with with me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->