Pelvic Girdle Pain? SPD?

misspriss

Reaction score
Anyone have this? I think I might, I've never had it or bad enough to distinguish it from "normal" aches and pains, so probably never had it in previous pregnancies. But I was working during my last two pregnancies, now I'm a SAHM to two small kids so I'm moving totally different.

I am experiencing pain and tenderness at the symphsysis pubis joint and in one hip joint (left), it is almost a grinding feeling pain in the hip. When it is bad, walking is moderately painful, but it is not as if I can stop walking.

I don't see the doctor for almost 4 weeks, is this something I should make an inquiry now about or wait until my 28 week appointment? Is there anything they can do?

It looks like a lot of things I do could be bad for it too, walking, standing, vacuuming, lifting kids.

SPD isn't really something you can stop from happening. Sometimes, you can help it using physical therapy. I vacuum, lift heavy, stand and walk a LOT, etc., as well. I'm prone to it and have had it with every single pregnancy. I am more careful, as I once popped my pelvis out at 12 weeks along and had to deal with that pain for the rest of the pregnancy, and as I have more pregnancies, my SPD lasts longer postpartum. Last time, my baby was 2 months old before my pelvis stopped popping on a daily basis. So, I'll tell you what I personally do in order to keep my SPD from being any worse than it needs to be...

I try to take a lot of breaks if I'm going to be walking a lot. My kids and I like to go on 3-mile walks, and we're not about to stop going for our walks. If we're outside walking, we'll sit on the sidewalk for a minute and look at the birds or something. If we're in a store, I'll lean on a shopping cart for a few minutes while my kids enjoy the toy aisle. If we're at the beach, we'll start digging in the sand!

I put on my pants and underwear in a seated position. This seems silly, but I have popped my pelvis really badly by standing to put my underwear and pants on, and the pain lasted for months. It's not worth it. Just sit down.

I keep my knees together when I roll over in bed. It's HARD to roll over when you have SPD. Once I'm in the last couple of months of pregnancy, I have to ask my OH to help me roll over because I'll get stuck on my back. lol... I also have to ask for help getting out of bed in the last couple of weeks of pregnancy, sooo OH gets used to it soon enough. Or OH tells me to sleep on the air mattress where I can roll easily. Oh, same rule applies for getting out of the tub and getting in/out of the car. Watch that you don't pop that pelvis, or the pain could last months.

I don't lift my legs up high. I once lifted my foot up so my OH could tie my shoe for me. POP! Oh, that was awful.

Don't sit for too long! I have a timer that goes off if I sit for 20 minutes so I know to get up and move around for a while. Use it or lose it!

I got a lighter vacuum. Sweeping pulls my hips out of alignment, especially since I was born with hip dysplasia and pregnancy (relaxin) aggravates it and puts me in a lot of pain. I have a Shark Rocket, which I can use without twisting or anything, and it's light enough that my kids can vacuum for me. ;) If you have an extra couple bucks to put into it, I'd highly recommend... Especially for those of us who have multiple kids, and especially if you have furry pets like I do. I vacuum my kitchen and dining rooms after every meal, and I vacuum the other high traffic areas in my house daily. I haven't aggravated any symptoms with my new vacuum, but I had a regular upright and a canister vacuum which did make me miserable.

Here is a list of yoga poses/stretching I personally find VERY relieving... They let me stretch the painful areas, relieve pain and strengthen the muscles supporting those joints. https://birthbliss.wordpress.com/20...p-ease-pain-from-pubic-symphysis-dysfunction/

Thanks so much! I am worried about making it worse, sometimes I do not think before I move.

I have a Shark Rocket, actually, hopefully it will not be a problem. I will look at the yoga poses, thanks!

Hi. I had it with my first and it started again last week. I'm only 14 weeks. It's so painful. I do all of the above but it's hard to adjust to when your an active person. I'm going to start some light aqua robics recommended by my midwife and have some physio. I'm dreading the upcoming weeks when I get even bigger :/ I feel your pain x

According to the hospital and MW I have it this time around. My MW said she can refer me for physio if it continues to get worse at 28 weeks but that's pretty much all they'll do. Sucks really as I'm in so much discomfort, but it'll be worth it.

I plan to see my chiropractor this week too, he will able to help some i hope.

I have pelvic girdle pain. I had it 1st pregnancy 25wks to 35wks. Mild saw physio who gave me the exercises as pp suggested. This time round 2nd pregnancy started at 10wks. Truly feels like someone has kicked me in the bits some days (but no way anyone has). I remember first.time.trying to look and see if there was any bruising down there as it was so unusual and sore but nothing is visible. As it started a lot sooner this time, we self refer to the physio at the maternity hospital. I have been twice first time just assessment and exercises. 2nd time 3wks ago I was fitted with a tubigrip which goes round my waist hips. I may get a belt in a few weeks depending on if it progresses. I still have pain in front pelvic low. And across my sacral illeac(? Spelling) lower spine. I work full time still, still do most things. Moving helps, being on your feet all day with no rest does not. Good luck, hope it doesn't get too bad for you x

I do not remember when the pain in the front started, but many weeks ago. I never thought it was more and I thought the hip pain was just pregnancy pain. I do not have pain when moving my legs open, but I do with back and forth motions like walking and stuff.

I never had it with my first two pregnancies but with my last pregnancy I did and it was a nightmare. Whenever I'd walk I felt like my hips were going to pop off of my body. My bones would crack every time I'd go to stand. Sometimes I'd have to move my leg in a circular motion first to feel better while walking. I think it started around the time frame you're at, around 25 weeks and lasted until about 2 weeks postpartum. I was able to have a natural birth but I felt crippled during the time I was in the hospital. I could hardly stand or walk. There are exercises supposed to help ease the pain but they never worked for me. Unfortunately birth is really the only thing that makes it go away. I'm still kind of early so I have yet to see if it is going to happen this time but I'm really hoping not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->