People and their bloody opinions!!!!!

Kimboowee

Complete
Reaction score
My pregnancy wasn't planned, but as soon as i found out i stopped drinking, smoking, and generally started looking after myself.

Last night i went out with a big group of friends and they all took it in turns to critisize (sp?) they way im looking after myself. With questions like why aren't you drinking, i drank when i was pregnant blah blah.
Cos maybe i choose not to?

And the same about smoking, a friend who is also pregnant still smokes, i asked her if she was gonna stop and she was like 'ohhhh i can't'
Fair enough she's had an easy pregnancy where is still have all day sickness and have bled a few times, and don't want to do anything at all which could harm lo.

It just really annoys me, fair enough you smoke and drank and whatever, but surely its my choice in what i do and what i think is best for MY baby.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....and it wasn't just me being sensitive, one woman was like if you want a drink, have a drink, i'll give you a fag if you want one.

Ok rant over.
Lol
x

my gran is kind of the same in the fact of if i said to her get me a glass of wine or a bottle of alcopop she would get me one...

my mum get totally out her face when she was pregnant with me but she did not know she was pregnant and it was her 18th birthday lol

I think its up to the person about what you do or not. On xmas day my bfs gran was kept asking me why i didnt drink lol.

Its jst a personal choice i've taken x

I really hate that. Even before I was pg some nights I'd just decide to drive home from a night out and the pressure to have a drink and pick the car up the next day was unbelievable. IMO, if I'm old enough to drink alcohol then I'm old enough to make my own decision on whether I want to or not.

I too quit smoking, and a lot of people told me "oh well, you could do worse"...
but i was able to quit, therefore i did.. otherwise, why bother putting my baby at risk. i understand there are lots of people who have tried really hard and haven't been able, and that's fine for them.. but if you're capable of quitting, why wouldn't you?!

I quit smoking when I found out I was pregnant but a girl I work with did not, her baby ended up being fine though. Not that I agree with what she did but it's not my place to say anything, it's her own choice and really only up to her DH, maybe family, and doctors to discuss it with her :)

That's my opinion anyway - to each her own. Everyone's different, who am I to tell someone they're wrong?

I gave up smoking and drinking cos I really didnt think it was faire on our baby as there no windows in our body etc, I also realised that it was not faire on my husband he has never smoked but he put up with it and was really suppotive in helping me quit never scremed at me etc. each to thier own 2 be faire but dont try force it on me just cos they want to etc

I wouldn't even be friends with people like that. It sounds harsh, but I fell out with my friend who kept smoking through her pregnancy. I feel so strongly about it, that I couldn't stay friendly with people who had such opposite views to me.

Your friends should support you if they are genuine friends.

That's sad. Most of my friends try not to drink around me because i have stopped- even though I don't mind! I think It's really sweet of them.

Wow, you guys have some pretty terrible friends, to say nothing of the grandmas! :rofl:
In all seriousness, your friends & family should be supportive of you- you are making the best possible decisions for your LOs. :hugs:

When I found out I was pregnant, I found it really hard to stop smoking (took me 2 weeks) and some of my friends who new about the pregnancy critized me, my MIL told me I was killing my baby and I found it really horrible.

Then when I quit I had the same people saying "ooohh you dont need to quit your fine" :saywhat:

I also had a friend who has just had her LO say to me "you'll be fine, just do what I did...ate loads of junk food like maccy d's everyday, smoked 20 a day and drank 2 bottles of WKD a week"

I feel like public property to peoples oppinions and I wish they'd back off

that would cheese me off! my sil did it 2 me with my last pregnancy. go on av a drink av a fag have pee nuts. i told her no and she and her sister sat there insulting me about doing everything the books say. i did everything right and still had a m/c. she is now pregnant and she wont drink or eat certain foods but still smokes. i think because she got told she couldnt have children naturally she picked on me. maybe your friends are jealous x x

Like with my friend still smoking at 20+ weeks, she has made no attempt at all to stop. And i know how strong i am about my own beliefs, thats why i just asked her casually if she was going to stop. More out of interest than to preach.

Each to their own i suppose. I do things by the book, but i've never been pregnant before this and i do what i read is right!

Sounds like you have some pretty awful friends. If I associated with people like that I would quickly stop and find some decent people to be friends with.

Some people just need to keep their comments to themselves!! It's not their business what you do, or don't do!! I hate that! I worked with this lady who was surprised that I won't have a beer once in a while!! It's our OWN decision what we do for crying out loud. I just keep my mouth shut when those convos come up, because I'm pregnant, and very moody!!

What Aholes!! Good on you for looking after yourself. Keep doing what your doing and ignore the comments.

I have to say I agree, not good friends. it doesn't matter whwther you smoke or not it's your choice and either way there shoulsd not be any pressure from friends only support.

I might be out on a limb here but it seems the way our cultures going drink drink and smoke to have a good time cos you sure as hell can't have a good time without it:yellowcard::saywhat::ignore:

I gave up smoking before I was preggers, but had I not I would have defo given up for pregnancy. I don't think it's fair on an unborn baby to have all those chemicals pumped through them. I mean the odd one fair for people finding it difficult or who are out and just fancy one. The same with drink I generally am n ot a drinker anyway but if I want one drink I'll have one drink. AND it's nobody's choice but mine and NOONE has the right to crtiticise whatever!

My mates bless them one of my friend is having a hen night and we're kinda quiet friends anyway we used to go out for a drink and a dance sometimes, but not loads. We enjoy talking and each others company anyway for her hen night she's having a girlie sleepover lol cos two of us can't drink, hehe and I don't think I could dance at this point either! lmao.

I have to say I agree, not good friends. it doesn't matter whwther you smoke or not it's your choice and either way there shoulsd not be any pressure from friends only support.

I might be out on a limb here but it seems the way our cultures going drink drink and smoke to have a good time cos you sure as hell can't have a good time without it:yellowcard::saywhat::ignore:

I gave up smoking before I was preggers, but had I not I would have defo given up for pregnancy. I don't think it's fair on an unborn baby to have all those chemicals pumped through them. I mean the odd one fair for people finding it difficult or who are out and just fancy one. The same with drink I generally am n ot a drinker anyway but if I want one drink I'll have one drink. AND it's nobody's choice but mine and NOONE has the right to crtiticise whatever!

My mates bless them one of my friend is having a hen night and we're kinda quiet friends anyway we used to go out for a drink and a dance sometimes, but not loads. We enjoy talking and each others company anyway for her hen night she's having a girlie sleepover lol cos two of us can't drink, hehe and I don't think I could dance at this point either! lmao.

I don't know, I think it's sort of getting better. But because there is a strong culture of "this is BAD for you" (generally, not just in pregnancy) it has caused a backlash in some circles.

Sounds like your friend is having my dream hen party tbh! I'm not a big drinker normally anyway so the "big night out" type of thing would not have suited me at all either. My maid of honour organised a morning at a local theme park where we used to go loads as kids, afternoon at a spa and an evening meal. Then home and into bed by 11pm :rofl::rofl:

I went to a friend's hen party a couple of years back that a friend of hers from uni organised. We went to Dublin and well, there's really only one reason people go there for stag/hen dos... but the bride, her sister, her SIL to be and me were all totally uninterested in trawling the bars and clubs. Only the woman who organised it wanted to do that! So we spent most of the time in a crusty old man pub away from the crowds :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->