People ruining names

comeondance77

Reaction score
Has anyone had this issue? I purposefully tried to avoid telling people what we were thinking of naming our little one for fear of this. I finally started telling people we were thinking of Brooklynn Marie a few days ago. Well I got a message from my little sister today telling me that her friend instantly thought of bowel movement for her first and middle initial, BM. It's stupid but I'm still regretting telling people because this is exactly what I figured would happen.

Me! Me and my oh are definitely naming our little boy Charlie sydney Mook.
Lots of people think it's strange or it's doesn't go well together and for Sydney it's more of girlie but what they doesn't know it was my great grandfather name and my oh grandad middle name 😂 So basically my child I'm naming him whatever I want 😁👍🏻

If I learnt anything from my first child is do not tell anyone your chosen name! You will ALWAYS have someone that doesn't like it, or knows someone with that name (with a terrible backstory behind it) or comes up with silly things like BM. Most important thing is that you like it, after all it's your child not theirs.
Once baby is here anyway, regardless of what people think of their name they get used to it and it just becomes that child's identity :)

Ughhh yep - thats why we never told a single person when we had decided.

Yes. think people's reaction for the result is the same before or after annoucement. just go for it if you like it.

I tell whoever asks what name we've decided on (hey, it's even in my signature lol) why? Because I don't actually give a shit what anyone thinks and I didn't take anyone else into consideration when thinking of the name of OUR child.

For what it's worth BM = bowel movement? C'mon, that's totally stretching it in my opinion and not what a normal reasonable person would think of straight up unless they were asked to purposely think of something wrong with the name/initals.

My advice, if you are going to let every little bit of negative feedback sway your decision then no, I wouldn't tell anyone else. But you've picked a name you love so own it and use it with confidence!

I don't tell anybody our names because some people will always comment without thinking but once we've properly named baby I think people are a tiny bit more considerate with what they say

There are worse initials. My first and middle initials are BJ and I turned out fine. lol

Now that I think about it my first and middle initial is CM which can be likened to cervical mucus, especially on this site haha and I've never thought of it until now so I think your daughter will be fine with those initials.

Can someone tell me why nowadays is cool to name your child with two names and also some unusual? Is this some kind of trend now? I am asking this because I have simply named my daughter Jessica

Can someone tell me why nowadays is cool to name your child with two names and also some unusual? Is this some kind of trend now? I am asking this because I have simply named my daughter Jessica

Do you mean a first and middle name or a hyphenated two name first name eg Ann-Marie

Since the topic came up... Can I ask how come it is so common in the US (and the UK and Australia too, I think) to also give a child a middle name? I mean, is it used for anything specific in life, or is it just because of tradition? I'm curious as we don't give middle names in my country :)

Since the topic came up... Can I ask how come it is so common in the US (and the UK and Australia too, I think) to also give a child a middle name? I mean, is it used for anything specific in life, or is it just because of tradition? I'm curious as we don't give middle names in my country :)

I'm not sure of the technical reason, that's just the way it's always been. I guess maybe because there are so many common first and last names that it's a way of distinguishing between 2 people who may have the same date of birth as well as first and last names. I would imagine there are a lot of John Smith's in Australia lol

My family doesn't do middle names either, and people think it's weird. But I think a lot of times people want to honour someone with a middle name. As for my husbands family, pretty much all of them go by their middle name for some reason...

Middle names are because 100 years ago about 75% of people in Britain had a top 5 name so it helped tell you apart!

I wouldn't worry about the initials, when do you ever write the initials of your first names?

I'd keep any names to yourself. Before the baby is born people are more likely to give an opinion than when you tell them it's what you've actually used

I HATE telling people my name choices. Some people are respectful about it, but my freaking sister dogs every single name I've ever chosen. No matter what. If she doesn't hate it, she has it "reserved" for a future child - AND she's infertile, 40 and done having kids (she has 2). So wwwwhaaaaaaaaaaat the heeeeeeeck?!!!!!!!! I don't even like talking about it with them. I just tell everyone that we haven't decided yet. Of course, then, they want a list of names. I have a list of about 50 names, and my sister still dogs or "reserves" all of them. You're just better off not telling anybody sometimes. And I think your name choice is beautiful and wouldn't change it. It's fine as a first and middle name. My friend named her son B(A)M and we've never thought of "BM" as "bowel movement" when thinking of him.

Oh this happened with dd1. I was set on the name Kaylee. Told my grandma, who immediately told me it was horrible because people would think of CASEY Anthony....she the proceeded to tell her boyfriend who said it sounded like a dog's name....and he then kept "accidentally" calling my dog Kaylee....her name was Shelby. People suck.

It helps to come up with a decoy name. A few names you like, but won't use for some reason or another. That way you don't have to say you aren't telling, which usually makes people push you, but people pour all their criticism on names you won't even use.

If you truly love the name, what other people say shouldn't matter.

Having said that, I did change my mind for both my twins from what I originally thought I wanted to name them due to familial influences. That only meant that I, myself, wasn't 100% sold on the name. The names I eventually used were still not fully supported by family, but I knew they were names I truly loved and so it didn't matter to me.

Now, three months in, my family has grown to love them too.

BTW, to the OP, Brooklyn was on my list too. :)

100% agree with this :thumbup:

Having 5 kids we've been through a lot of name choices and also been put off of a fair few too. I honestly believe that if I had liked the name that much then it wouldn't have mattered what people had said, dd3s name wasn't likes by hardly anyone but she's stilled named it because in the end I didn't care about other people's opinions :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->