Persuading for ultrasound at 1st appointment at 9 weeks

M

MamaLoCo

I have my first appointment in a couple of days. I've seen a lot of people say that ultrasounds usually aren't done at the first appointment, or prior to 12 weeks. I understand there is concern to doing too many scans so some doctors try to do as few as possible.

I've had 2 prior pregnancies. I'd rather not get into how they ended but this will be my first child. My most recent pregnancy was twins. :angel: :angel:

I don't want to seem desperate but if my doc knows that I've had a multiple pregnancy in the past and that my dad had 2 sets of twin siblings, will that earn me the right to an early scan? I'm trying to think of anything I can say to persuade him if I have to.
I also had pink and brown spotting through weeks 5 & 6.
I'm only about to hit 9 weeks and my pants just don't fit anymore...not even with the hair-tie trick - even that gives me a muffin top. My coworker said I'm showing already but I think she's just excited and likes being one of the only ones who knows.

My MS hasn't been THAT bad. Smells kill me but I definitely don't have HG as I only throw up once a day now.

What else can I bring up to get a scan? My hubby is taking the day off work to go with me so I want him to have something to see (heartbeat) instead of just watching me have blood drawn and answering questions.

I have a feeling there is just one in there this time around...but if there are two, I'd like to know as soon as possible. It would make the MS easier to handle.

Also...I tested the day after my period was supposed to start and the preggo-line popped up before the windows even filled all the way up and was MUCH darker than the test lines. Does that indicate higher hcg levels? I suspect I ovulated early so I could just be farther along.

If you are willing to pay for a private scan you should be able to get one at anytime. Worth it if you're worried.

If you are willing to pay for a private scan you should be able to get one at anytime. Worth it if you're worried.
I have insurance. Do insurance plans limit how many scans you can get or something?

It's different in Australia. Sorry, I'm not sure :flower:

Also I think a dark line would indicate a higher HCG. I know that at 15dpo (1 day late for AF) I had a line - not faint, not dark. Might also depend on when you implant, as I was testing from 8dpo And was getting nothing, so I assume I implanted late. You could have implanted at 6dpo and that's why your line was darker?

It's different in Australia. Sorry, I'm not sure :flower:

Also I think a dark line would indicate a higher HCG. I know that at 15dpo (1 day late for AF) I had a line - not faint, not dark. Might also depend on when you implant, as I was testing from 8dpo And was getting nothing, so I assume I implanted late. You could have implanted at 6dpo and that's why your line was darker?

I guess an early implantation is possible. My problem is that I don't know how many dpo I was when I tested, or how long my luteal phase was. We weren't trying or preventing so I only had a vague idea of my OD. I wasn't expecting it.
My LMP was November 7th and cycle is 30-31 days. We only BD on Nov. 16 so I thought we were in the clear that month. I mean...if you count back from my next expected AF due Dec. 7, you'd think I'd ovulate on the 22nd-24th so BD on the 16th still leaves 7-9 days before that. I don't thin sperm typically lives past 5 days.

I'm thinking early ovulation.
I had pink spotting on the 18th...2 days after BD seems like way too early for implantation bleeding (which usually isn't pink anyway) so I'm thinking maybe it was ovulation spotting. I used to have that mid cycle ovulation spotting every month but hadn't had it recently so I thought something weird was up that cycle. Hey, maybe I only Ov. spot when I hyperovulate. ohh who knows

just explain all that to the drs, i know in the uk they would most likely give you an early scan but i dont think that you should get an early scan 'just so your husband can see more than you having blood drawn'. hes there for support, not for the entertainment.
but based on the previous loss' and spotting they would most likely give you on in the uk, however with you being in the US you'd need to check with your insurance etc as it probably states in there how many scans they will pay for, but i do know that in the uk you can pay for a private scan and theyre around £150 x

they should definitely monitor you that way if you're concerned. why wouldnt they unless they werent good doctors? im in the US and my OBGYN was so busy at my 8 week 6 day appointment that they switched me doctors last minute to get me out faster. haha, fortunately for me, the doctor they switched me with had no idea why i was there since my original doctor to be seen had the charts and information. i convinced her "oh, im here for an ultrasound" and she sent me right over. but my normal doctor and midwife will not send healthy pregnancies for ultrasounds until 20 weeks and i just didnt wanna wait that long to see my baby wiggling. they still have me scheduled for my "first" official 20 week ultrasound tomorrow though

I think it varies from dr to dr. My dr (in Florida) usually does the first appointment at 8-9 weeks, unless you have a reason to come in earlier. I had a mmc last year so they let me come in right away and I am going again at about 8 1/2 weeks.

At that appointment, standard procedure is lots of paperwork, ultrasound to detect a heartbeat and bloodwork. My office has 2 (maybe more?) ultrasound machines so they do them pretty much every time you come in if you want, at least they have with me so far. Not sure what happens when you are farther along.

I just ask for a dating scan. If you will be doing the 12 week nt scan they need to know when to time that. For me here in Canada my obgyn is not the one to do the actual ultrasound but he writes the requisites. So I need the dating (early scan) so that they can get that report to book me in for my 12 week.

I am in California and was told to make my 1st appt at 8-9 weeks. I went in at 8 weeks and got all the blood tests, etc.. but since they send clients out for ultrasounds (no machines in the office) they gave me the referral and faxed it to the ultrasound place. She said they could probably get me in right away! Called and they got me in 3 days later at 8w3d and even did a 4d! And said to come back for my 2nd at 12-13 weeks and they could most likely tell me the sex (if there's cooperation obviously) but I would not be happy to wait til 12 weeks and understand why ur asking. Maybe try calling the doctors office and ask what to expect at the first appointment?

Also, each insurance company is different and some cover alot of ultrasounds and the docs go crazy taking tons of them and some dont. My friend had to pay for a private clinic for the 4d and my doc did it at my 1st appt at 8 weeks. So it varies.

Thanks, ladies.
I don't just want a scan so my husband isn't bored. I warned him in advance that he'd probably be bored. I even have to work later that day while he took the whole day off. He's determined to attend all my appointments with me. I guess he doesn't want to miss anything since he's already missing the firsthand experience that I get.

I just want peace of mind. PLUS, if there ARE two in there this time around again...I would like to know as soon as possible because I'll probably be overwhelmed and need to think about making plans move back home for family support! I think we can handle just one fine on our own, though.

I was up all night trying to find out what my insurance offers, as far as scans, specifically. It wasn't specified in any of the info I had previously been provided. I found a bunch of outdated information, and a bunch of people complaining about how few scans they were alotted...also some people saying they were all free... but my insurance co. offers so many different plans. I'm pretty sure I found the handbook for this year pertaining to my plan and I believe they're all covered. I think the new healthcare mandates that all insurance companies cover a lot more prenatal stuff.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow! :thumbup:

At my first appointment I explained to my OB that I had a MMC. I didn't even tell her I wanted a scan, but she offered me one and I came back later that week and saw the baby at 7+3. I think if you have your history on file they shouldn't give you a problem about wanting a scan.

They wouldn't have any existing records for me. I don't have consistent medical records since I tend to veer more towards natural routes and never get sick or saw the need for regular doctor visits. I've rarely been to the same doctor twice, unfortunately...so this will be unusual for me. It's a surprise I didn't opt for a midwife from the natural birthing center.

This is my test. I took it on Dec. 9 when my AF was due on the 7 or 8. Does it seem unusually dark, or is that normal? I know a lot of people don't like the blue dye tests for various reasons but not sure if they're known for false positives or dark test lines.

10917436_513170572156696_3620293603911321992_n.jpg

I took a blue dye test..not clear blue brand but the test windows were exactly the same. I tested about at 5 weeks and my lines were dark like that. In fact I tested 7 tests..A cb digital got a 3+, 3 ic strip, a frer and 2 of the blue plus sign ones and all the test line was way darker than the control line. I had a abdominal ultrasound at 7w2days (which I think was off) showing one baby. It's tough to say. U never get faint positive they are always pretty strong. Btw a few days after I got my pos I had a blood confirmation hcg was 7,308

I took a blue dye test..not clear blue brand but the test windows were exactly the same. I tested about at 5 weeks and my lines were dark like that. In fact I tested 7 tests..A cb digital got a 3+, 3 ic strip, a frer and 2 of the blue plus sign ones and all the test line was way darker than the control line. I had a abdominal ultrasound at 7w2days (which I think was off) showing one baby. It's tough to say. U never get faint positive they are always pretty strong. Btw a few days after I got my pos I had a blood confirmation hcg was 7,308
At 5 weeks, I'd expect dark lines. Are they known for being dark like that even when you barely missed your period?
- well now that I image searched it, I am seeing lot of examples of faint positives on blue dye tests. Gosh, no wonder my husband can't keep surprises or secrets from me,I just can't wait to find out

Not sure. Last pregnancy I used one of those and got dark lines 2 days after af due so possibly 17 or 18 do. ...

Sorry in my original post I meant "i" never get faint pos..not "u"...typo lol

yeah you're probably right. Most people probably get faint lines when they test early. I'm pretty sure there's only one baby in me lol I'm just looking for something to worry about.

Maybe maybe not! Either way don't worry! Seems good either way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->