Phytonutrient Rich Diet!

nataliecn

Mommy to Grady and WTT!
Reaction score
Yesterday I bought First Magazine as it had an interesting article about how to lose 47 pounds by Memorial Day.. It's called a phytonutrient diet!

Basically, they did a study, and women who ate raw fruit and veggies lost 12 pounds more in an eight week period than those who just ate healthy processed foods! They did another study with 2 groups of women - the one group ate mostly phytonutrient foods, and the other just cut portions on their normal diet - the Phyto group lost 22% MORE fat!

So here are the different Phytonutrients!

Phenols - Found in all berries, cherries, apricots, apples, kiwi.. They replenish the thyroid and adrenals for effortless calorie burning! And the bonuses - natural pain relief, lower risk of heart disease and cancer!

Lignans - Found in flaxseed, sunflower and sesame seeds and oils, cashews.. They inhibit the excessive estrogen action to reduce fat storage in female zones like the belly and hips! The bonuses - fewer PMS or perimenopausal symptoms, lower risk of breast, ovarian and colon cancer!

Limonoids - Found in all citrus fruits.. They increase the output of fat dissolving bile by 127 percent and stimulate lymph flow to reduce cellulite! The bonuses - gives you immunity against illness causing germs, increased heart health, lower stroke risk!

Sulforaphane - Found in cruciferous veggies, dark leafy greens.. They support the liver's fat burning abilities, anti -inflammatory active lowers fat-storing cortisol. The bonuses - Younger looking skin, healthier libido, reduced risk of diabetes, heart disease and cancer!

Anthocyanins - Found in cherries, avocados, eggplant, mangoes, grapes, black rice.. They turn off your fat storage genes and activate fat metabolizing genes, curb sugar and carb cravings! The bonuses - natural pain relief, improved memory, concentration and brain health!

Carotenoids - Found in watermelon, carrots, tomatoes, cantaloupe, squash.. Balance your blood sugar, stimulate the use of fatty acids for energy so less fat is stored! The bonuses - Safeguard your vision, offer natural sun protection, boost fertility, reduce the risk of cervical cancer.

Resveratol - Found in red grapes, red wine, peanuts.. Improves blood sugar balance for reduced belly fat storage, increases satiety-signaling chemicals! The bonuses - Reduced LDL cholesterol, improved circulation, lower heart disease and stroke risk.

Allicin - Found in garlic, onions, scallions, leeks, shallots.. Deactivates xenoestrogens and other fat-trapping toxins, supports the liver's fat burning ability. Bonuses - Improved germ fighting ability, reduced LDL cholesterol and bloody pressure!

Basically, you want to eat every 2-3 hours and it has to contain atleast a 1 cup serving of fruits or beffies, as well as 1oz to 4oz of protein. When it comes to things like eggs, lean beef, chicken and fish they suggest grass fed, free range or wild versions as they have an even better nutritional profile. You want 5 daily servings of phytonutrient rich whole grains and 2-4 1tbs servings of oils like flaxseed, olive, avocado and sesame. Then add in 2 3/4 cup servings of dairy. And as usual, atleast 64oz of water!

Meal Plan

Upon Rising : Small bowl of fresh fruit, like pineapple, strawberries or grapefruit; 1 glass of water to help detoxify the body.

Breakfast
: 2 scrambled eggs with 1/2 cup mixture of tomato chunks and arugula leaves; 1 slice whole grain toast with 1/2 avocado, sliced.

Midday Snack
: Atleast 1 cup fresh fruit (like mixed berries, cherries or watermelon), 1 oz nuts, like almonds.

Lunch : Salad made with 2 cups raw spinach ,topped with fresh veggies (like tomatoes, onions, and sprouts) and 4 oz grilled chicken, drizzled with 2 tbs olive oil- or walnut oil based dressing

Afternoon snack
(Choose 2 daily) : 1 apple and 2Tbs almond butter; raw veggie crudites with 3tbs hummus; or smoothie (3/4 cup yogurt, 1 banana and 1Tbs ground flaxseed)

Dinner : 5oz salmon (seasoned with lemon juice, salt and pepper and topped with sesame seeds), 1/2 cup brown rice, 1/2 cup black beans simmered in onions, garlic and cilantro, and 1 cup broccoli.

I'm going to be giving this a try starting Monday, So I will let you know how it works!!! :)

ooh please do...

good luck with it.. it seems rather complicated however

I hate how all diets have friggen fish in them.

I HATE FISH!! :hissy:

You don't have to eat fish! That was just their suggestion.
I'll be living off chicken breasts. even pork chops are considered lean meats, so long as you cut off all the fat!

You don't have to eat fish! That was just their suggestion.
I'll be living off chicken breasts. even pork chops are considered lean meats, so long as you cut off all the fat!

Ooh I thought that was what they were making you eat for the first week.

Maybe I'll try something like that. I have tons of arugula ATM.

I couldn't even see that at the store!!! LOL.
I'm sitting here with my big bowl of my pre-breakfast..
NO idea how I'm going to manage to eat all this food today. Especially with Grady who generally doesn't like me eating when I want to!

any ideas on how this turned out? I just recently bought this magazine as well and I would love to know how the diet turned out.

Ahhh.
I didn't stick to any form of diet. :(

I did this one for 2 days, found it too hard to get all that stuff in while trying to take care of a brand new baby. It was just too complicated for me when he rarely lets me eat ONE little meal let alone 7 things to eat!

Really hope it works for you k_hall! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->