piercings and internships?!

louandivy

Reaction score
I am starting an internship next week. Its 2 days a week in an office and 1 day from home writing press releases, blog posts, managing the website and keeping up with the social media side of things, plus assisting with video production etc. The interview was very informal and the woman I'm working for seems absolutely amazing and lovely, butttttttt I really want to get a small septum hoop and don't know if that is bad to do during the internship?! The placement is three months. I have a nose ring at the moment which obviously wasn't a problem when I was interviewed so I don't see why the septum hoop would be but still..what do you guys think?!

I would hope that in this day and age it wouldn't matter. I can't fathom how piercings and tattoos etc can effect your ability to do the job. It would be a real shame if it did. I know that's simplifying it but I'm optimistic enough to think I am working for people that don't think your lifestyle choices effect how well you do your job. If you're crap at the internship, fair enough lol but a piercing isn't gonna have an impact is it? :shrug:

Unfortunately piercings aren't looked upon fondly which is obnoxious! I have a lip and my tongue and want my nose redone. That being said septum piercings can be off putting to some so my proposed solution.. Get it but get a horse shoe hoop so you can just pop it up into your nose during the day. I have friends who do this and unless people are looking up your nostril they won't notice lol good luck on the internship!!

I know it's not quite the same but I have stretched lobes and 2 lip piercings (one either side) and I got taken on by Royal Mail with them so I would hope if a company like that can see past it then yours could too xx

I would like to think it wouldn't matter, but I'm sure some companies would have an issue with it.

If no mention was made of the nose hoop it will probably be fine.

What is the dress code like for the office? If it is very relaxed then I would guess piercings wouldn't be a problem.

I'm sure it would be fine but if it's going to worry you I would wait until after the 3 months or at least until you've been there a couple of weeks so you can suss it out a bit more.

Will you see clients/customers? If not I would just do it, if they didn't say about your nose ring it'll probably be fine. if you'll have any client facing time I'd probably ask first!
Also can you get a horseshoe ring rather than a closed loop so you can flip it up inside your nose if needed?

My hubby interviewed a couple of guys for a job in his office last year-one had tattoos and piercings everywhere, the other did not. My hubby said it didn't bother him-the best candidate would get the job.
But my hubby's boss was more narrow minded.

Bottom line is, I think it will vary office to office. However, if it doesn't affect you job-why should it matter?

Thanks guys! Ahh the horseshoe ring is a good idea but I really want a closed hoop :haha: Its a small office and the boss seems really relaxed so I think I'll just mention it to her on my first day on Thursday. It does seem silly that employers care about that stuff in this day and age, especially if you aren't even facing any clients!

I'd ask beforehand, just in case. A septum ring isn't an 'acceptable' piercing in the same way a nostril stud is, iykwim. I really want a labret but I won't because I think if I ask my employer she'll say no, but if I just go ahead and do it without asking she'll find some way to get rid of me over it.

Yeah its weird how some piercings are seen as more acceptable than others! I don't have a nose stud though, I have a ring. Could you get a clear labret stud for work?

I probably could but I won't just in case, I'm surplus to requirements most days so I'm hanging on by a thread as it is :haha:

I'm much more stick in the mud lol, I don't even know what that kind of piercing is lol. I think it depends on the profession and don't think tattoos and piercings are professional and would never have anything done to myself I couldn't easily hide. I'm sure it would be fine in an internship if you're not dealing with customers or other people, but it depends on the profession and I would think long term about the kind of jobs you hope to have in the future.

lol supposedly some people have a 'sweet spot' of skin under the septum which makes it virtually painless, praying thats me :haha:

Ok I've just googled ouch!! I'm a stuffy archivist (in training at least) so no way I would get it, can you imagine on Who Do You Think You Are? the archivist coming out in a tweed jacket and one of those piercings :haha:

Hahaha well it might be just the kind of eccentric look that would suit an archivist - tweed and some facial piercings :haha:

Thanks guys! Ahh the horseshoe ring is a good idea but I really want a closed hoop :haha: Its a small office and the boss seems really relaxed so I think I'll just mention it to her on my first day on Thursday. It does seem silly that employers care about that stuff in this day and age, especially if you aren't even facing any clients!

I wouldn't ask on your first day - any questions you ask on the first day should be about the job/company and make you sound keen and passionate for the opportunity (well "where's the toilet?" is probably ok to ask...). While I think your boss would appreciate your consideration to ask it gives the wrong first impression if you go straight in asking about things that are to your personal benefit iykwim. I'd wait until you've been there a few days.

Get a bar first - I had a septum piercing and my bar was almost invisible. You can also flip it upwards so you can't see it at all.

Septums aint that bad. I did mine myself via a youtube tutorial :haha: I DON'T RECOMMENDED THAT apparently it's dangerous, but yeah it's not that painful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->