• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pill and Antibiotics

littleb

Reaction score
Hi i'm new to this and I am just wondering if anybody here got pregnant while taking antibiotics and also on the pill? I have been on the pill for over a year now and i was recently put on antibiotics for a week. I'm wondering if I could have got pregnant during this week???? any advice/comments would be appreciated :flower:

I've heard conflicting reports on this. I know a person who claims they have. But I also know scientists who say the antibiotics don't affect it and others who say you need 10 pill free days to return to fertility.

Sorry I can't be more help x

Wellll... I was on the pill for 3 years. We always had sex no condoms... on september 13th i went to see a Dr at a walk in and was prescribed ZPACK... i took it and on 9/18 we had sex (only ONCE in 10 days).... October 8th I found out I was pregnant and was about 5 weeks pregnant.... so yea you can get pregnant when taking antibiotics and the pill! HAPPENED TO ME!

*puts on biology hat* :D

Yes, antibiotics definitely affect the pill's effectiveness - some of your gut flora (so called 'friendly bacteria') are responsible for absorbing hormonal substances (like the oestrogens/progestogens in the pill) from your gut and into your blood. Using antibiotics will kill off some of these bacteria, reducing your body's ability to absorb the hormones and therefore losing the pill's effect. It's essentially like missing a few pills.

The instructions in your pill pack should state that you should use other methods of contraception throughout the antibiotic course and for 7 days afterwards. It is a well known and demonstrable effect. An example of why you should ALWAYS read information contained with medicines! ;)

But I also know scientists who say the antibiotics don't affect it and others who say you need 10 pill free days to return to fertility

Untrue - hormones from the pill are eliminated within a couple of days, and most antibiotics certainly do affect it. Certainly for the combined pill, which is the most common.

i would have to agree with the above post. My sister was on the pill and given anti biotics, she then fell pregnant with my nephew due to the meds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlzsmuzaffar
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->