pioctin adhd…

babyjiva

1st baby
Reaction score
https://www.suite101.com/content/new-risk-for-adhd-identified---use-of-pitocin-during-labor-a369228

new research says that labor inducing drugs might be linked to adhd. i'm not trying to scare anyone, but just a friendly share as it is important to stay educated.

New research is ALWAYS learning more about medicines we are now using. someone on here was saying natural parents might be trying to prove something or be a martyr, but it's stuff like this that motivates me to stay as natural as possible. not saying others should, but just that this is my motivation.

also i know that many people HAVE to be induced. hopefully they well figure out the safest way possible to do this.

an interesting read thankyou.

however, hey also say letting your baby CIO can cause ADHD later in life. so those children they studied...did they only did it on babies who werent left to CIO, because if they didnt then its not very accurate research as another factor could potentially be the cause for the ADHD not the pioctin.

still its interesting research.

Very interesting. I had to be induced because of severe pre eclampsia that went undiagnosed for about half of my pregnancy, I'm pretty sure that's what they used with me. Saying that, there's a chance I could have ADHD, so Scarlett's pretty buggered really!

The trouble with this kind of research (same with the intellectual debate between FF and BF) is that there is not control sample and can never be. You will never be sure whether there are other factors involved and if they would be the same results without the drug. Like Pepsichic said, it could be down to other parenting styles.

I agree with you though about trying to keep things natural as then you know that drugs wil never be the problem.

Interesting. I totally support natural parenting, some parts I do some I don't. I noticed in the article people talked about their doctors inducing to go to their golf games. I had many talks with my ob about induction. One serious and life threatening issue with an overdue baby is stillbirth. The risk of stillbirths go up as baby gets more and more overdue. That reason for induction is important for me to consider and I hope others realize the same. It's not always drs rushing baby out.

I did push off pictosin (they gave me a differen lt drug in Canada or maybe just a different name I can't remember now). They wanted to break my water and start the iv. I asked to have water broken and wait a few hours to see if that would work first. I guess that was my try to avoid it, or to go more naturally as you mentioned. We all do what we think is right, and it's hard!!

172 women? That's not many at all. And all studies/statistics can be weighted in favour of one outcome or another.

Also, if it's a "link" and not a "cause"....surely there are lots of "links" to ADHD, but nothing has been proven.

Ah these days if you have eyes, eat apples or paint your toe nails pink there might be a link to ADHD!!!

sory to be daft but what is CIO?? in the second response

CIO - cry it out. A controversial sleep training technique which is basically letting your baby cry until they fall asleep.

i agree totally, no proof. but still scary to me

Ok. It's scary to you. That's fine. But why post it? Especially in baby club where the ladies have already had babies and can't do a damn thing about it?

I just don't get it. Why do people feel the need to scare monger?
And in any case, I could probably come up with a lot of studies that link to adhd....or any number of medical things, but what would be the point?

i agree totally, no proof. but still scary to me

Ok. It's scary to you. That's fine. But why post it? Especially in baby club where the ladies have already had babies and can't do a damn thing about it?

I just don't get it. Why do people feel the need to scare monger?
And in any case, I could probably come up with a lot of studies that link to adhd....or any number of medical things, but what would be the point?

Agreed, it is the wrong place to post, I've already been induced now so it's a bit late!! Plus, in all fairness, it's not like we have a choice about induction most of the time!!

These days, like I said (in a round-a-bout way) in my earlier post, there's any number of things which link to ADHD, if we took it all into account we'd be indoors, drinking only water, eating only ice, clothed in leaves, watching paint dry..... oh wait, the pain fumes might be a link.......

Sometimes we have to take risks. Although often interesting reads, lots of these studies (like this one) find only a small number of people (in the grand scheme of things) with these issues.

I think its a bit of a weak study, and should be re-search a little bit more...
Its nice to know for future children, and its just good information to know.
Thank you OP for sharing, i will be keeping an eye out for a deeper study :flower:

I agree that it's a bit of a weak study, 172 women is hardly any in the grand scheme of things. I had to be induced, I didn't really have much of an option, I would have loved to have gone naturally but things didn't work out like that and I wouldn't put my baby's life at risk by not listening to medical staff. xx

Ah great, another thing for me to worry about :-(

I had to be induced as my baby had IUGR and wasn't growing, she'd have died or been very ill if I didn't agree so not much I could have done about it. Had to read the title once I saw it and now it's upset me :-(

x

Ah great, another thing for me to worry about :-(

I had to be induced as my baby had IUGR and wasn't growing, she'd have died or been very ill if I didn't agree so not much I could have done about it. Had to read the title once I saw it and now it's upset me :-(

x

Like I said hun, some risks have to be taken, I was the same, I was induced, it had to be done. Don't worry, the study was so small with few results. We do whats best for our babies, it's too late to take it back now xx :hugs:

It's a relatively weak study. It's also not "news". There is another study from 2008 where they raised this possibility, so to herald this study as being something groundbreaking is not accurate.

They can't possibly pick it out and say for sure that pitocin is the culprit. Heck, if a woman is on a pitocin drip, chances are she is either being induced, or they've started the drip to "help things along". Either way, the majority of women would experience some kind of stress at that point, or anxiety, so how can they prove it's not excess anxiety which "causes" ADHD to develop?

The only bit of the study which seems useful to me is where they state that further investigation is required.

Thanks for this... I was induced too... It's done now so I'm not sure why I would want to know this?!

I don't think it's meant to be scaremongering. I think that if anyone sees new research that could help mothers then its only right to share. Obviously I understand that if you have been induced it's not nice to think there's a link like that, but if I had been I would want to know anyway for future pregnancies. Even if it's not true, I think it's always good for us to stay on top of what current research is saying so we stay as educated as we can be.

x

i wasn't trying to make anyone feel bad or scared, just found this link on facebook today and i think it's an important study. the numbers are low, but high results. i think studies like this are so important. why wouldn't you want to know is the real question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->