Planned a home waterbirth ended up with induction and c section!

GeorgeyGal

Reaction score
Baby Jeremiah was born April 17 weighing in at 8lb 5oz.

It's been quite a journey, firstly I didnt expect to get to EDD +17 days, I could hardly walk I was so huge! We had a whole week of monitoring at the hospital as I wanted to hold off from induction for as long as possible but by then I was so exhausted as been in slow labour for 2 weeks, all in my back (but I didnt realise until I was induced that they were the real thing).

I had the gel pessary which was a bit ouchy putting it in but after I could feel the same lower back dragging constipated pressure feeling which were contractions growing more frequent. After a couple of hours of walking about the grounds and breathing through using balloon breathing (hypnobirthing) they were becoming longer in length and more frequent so I sat on a birthing ball by my bed and asked midwife to put on my TENS machine which was fab, I could just relax and go with it. But the contractions started coming thick n fast with no break in between, I kept thinking this is not how I would imagine a contraction to feel like, there's nothing in my bump its all lower back. The pressure on my lower back was immense at that point and I couldnt sit down so was on my feet hopping from foot to foot like I was doing an aerobics class! If it wasnt for staying calm and my breathing I would have lost it but I was doing okay. I could hear the lady next door groaning and thinking woo Im doing well and I still had a smile on my face.

A few hours pass and the midwife comes in to do an internal, I say I cant lie on the bed so I accept gas and air and it is fab! Im laughing away, I was expecting to feel sick but it didnt come was just a lovely drunk feeling, I knew what was going on and what I was saying just felt floaty and pissed! I remember complaining that the internal was painful and the midwife suddently says, 'well done your going to delivery'! I thought please let me be 9cm at least! She had popped my waters without me knowing and informed me that I was 5cm dilated, I did feel dissapointed as about 4 hours had passed and I was exhausted. I said I could walk to delivery and off we went, me still managing with breathing and cranking my TENS up.

Once settled in our room, we adjusted my bed so it was like a chair but dropped down at the bottom to take the pressure off my back which was a relief. Time passed like a blur as was so concentrated on my breathing and before I knew it another few hours had passed. I was so exhausted I needed to sleep so asked for something else, I accepted the epidural and remember looking at the clock thinking Ill have it by 6pm just relax and breathe through which helped, thats when the hypno really came into play I managed to really zone out and sit up and very still whilst the epidural was administered. My midwife and the anesthetist commented that I was really calm and had done great to sit so still. It started to kick in about 15-20 mins later and it was pure bliss! I then realised that I had the TENS machine cranked up to full whack with the booster button on and I hadnt even felt it by that time, just goes to show how powerful those back labour pains were!

The next 6 hours flew by, I couldnt sleep but didnt feel anything and I could still move my legs as it was a mobile epidural. I remember telling OH to stay still as he kept checking out the medical equipment and I was worried he would step on my epidural tube or knock something out, I remember telling him, 'You step on my tube and Ill kill you' tehee but at the time it was my life line! OH even got the camcorder out and we had a bit of a running commentary and filmed around the delivery room.

Before I knew it I was told I was fully dilated and practised pushing but then found out bubs was laying 'back to back'! That does explain alot, why all my labour pains had been relentlessly in my back and probably why I was overdue! Anyway I tried laying on my side for a few hours but nothing was budging this little guy. Nearly 20 hours had gone by and the registrar came in and advised a C section would be for the best as he said babys head was lodged on the base of my spine and not going to move, something like I was 10cm but baby needed 13cm to descend. He did say theres no reason I wont have a normal birth next time though. Well by that time I was just plain relieved and agreed immediately, not that I had much choice but I was ready to meet out LO finally, I was so excited and not at all scared.

The section was great, I didnt feel a thing! I spent ages doing the 'feel' test to be sure I couldnt feel anything when they cut etc and as my epidural was already in they just needed to top it up. I felt a bit sick a few times but they gave me some anti sickness which kicked in straight away. My OH was great, he talked to me the whole time and I managed to stay calm and was just excited to hear bubs for the first time. My OH even got some photos of LO being born, the photos are amazing of him being lifted out of my tum! I heard him cry and just couldnt stop smiling! OH went with bubs to have his checks and then he was brought next to me and it was perfect, something Ill never forget!

Completely the opposite of what I had planned and expected as a c section was the one thing I used to say I would dread the most but it was really good and Im not too sore and was up and about 24 hours later plus my stitches are almost invisible and a few days later was walking around again as normal so I do think Im lucky. The visualisation and more so the breathing really really saw me through the labour, there was no time I paniced or lost it and Im so glad I go to experience the labour even though I ended up with a c section.

The worse part was definately the 24 hour bed rest after and my OH having to leave me in the noisy ward overnight struggling to feed and nappy change, I didnt sleep the whole 3 days I was in there so when I got home the 3-4 hours here and there sleep I am getting is bliss.

Quite an eventful story, Im so glad I managed to stay calm otherwise things could have been quite traumatic.

Congrats!!! So glad LO arrived happy and healthy even though it wasnt as originally planned! Lol. xx

Many congrats, well done! Thank you for a positive story - I am having a planned section on 10th May and you have calmed me down a bit lol xx

Many congrats, well done! Thank you for a positive story - I am having a planned section on 10th May and you have calmed me down a bit lol xx

Im so glad your feeling better about it, I truley enjoyed the experience, they spent ages doing the feel test so I had to pinch my tummy so I knew I was totally numb and they sprayed cold water on my tum and asked what I could feel so I felt very confident I was totally numb before they began. My arms were shaking after they topped up my epidural and I thought this was nerves but it was just a side effect I found out later. It really helped that my OH was chatting away about meeting our bubba and that few minute wait was so exciting and Ill never forget when you hear that first cry its amazing and so worth it! I didnt feel any pain just a slight tugging sensation and before I knew it baby was placed next to me and I was just grinning away whilst they stitched me up completely oblivious. If I had to have another section I would look forwards to it! Afterwards I was surprised not to feel any soreness just a tightness when I tried to sit and stand up but I was assured I couldnt split my stitches which I was scared of. The first shower the next day was fine and felt lovely to get all fresh and get the bandage off, I was amazed how neat my stitches were! They were disolvable so could hardly see them. Juts focus on the excitement of meeting your baby and you will be fine!!! Good luck!! Id do it again tomorrow!:baby:

Congratulations! Very similar birth story to me - back-to-back, fully dilated under epi, getting stuck and c-section - all worth it though huh?!

Well done Georgey! I'm so glad all your birth preparation carried you through the very different experience from what you were expecting. Congratulations!!

Well done Georgey! I'm so glad all your birth preparation carried you through the very different experience from what you were expecting. Congratulations!!

Thank you, Congratulations to you also! It couldnt have been more different but I do not regret anything as Im a firm believer in not worrying about things that our out of our control. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->