Play mats advice

welldxb

Reaction score
Hello,

I am coming to you for some advice, since you are already mothers I think you will be able to help more in this forum. And it's only a quick one.

I am looking at play mats ready for when my baby comes. I see some really colourful fun looking ones, and some really lovely squashy comfy neutral (cream, beige, white, brown etc) looking ones. (Think Mamas and Papas)

Anyway, I know babies cant really see in colour to begin with. Also, when they can, is colour really stimulating? In which case, do some people have 2 playmats? One for actual play (colourful) and one for chilling on (neutral)

I know it sounds like I am over thinking this, but am getting stuff second hand mostly, so need to grab it while I can but dont want to get the wrong things!

Thanks!

mine is bright and colourful as it matches my nursery :haha: i've got the fisherprice rainforest one, it was really expensive but it's one of the best things i bought because he loves it, and if he needs calm down time i simply lay him on a blanket on the floor
:)

i had a cream one and Henry would spend ages on it, then my mum bought him a brightstar's one for xmas and he used it a handful of time's and just rolled around, wasn't interested in the toy's or anything :/

Thank you for your responses.

So, basically, they serve different functions then?

I have seen that rainforest one, it looks fab. I think my husband wants one for himself.... but yeah, it is expensive, so I am keeping an eagle eye on classifieds.

I think I will grab the neutral mamas and papas one now, while I can. Its so cute and soft!

I brought the Fisher Price rainforest one off eBay as they are very expensive. I washed it all and used dettol disinfectant spray before my LO used it. The reason I chose this one was due to the lights on it my niece loved it and so does my LO and he is only 5 weeks old :)

We spent £60 on our mamas and papas lotty the lady bird playmat and our LO prefers her wee smelling changing mat!! To be honest though I think that is because she has only just started becoming interested in toys etc.

I suppose if you can get a couple of decent second hand bargains your LO will have a nice choice and will hopefully like one!
x

Lily is bored by anything in neutral colours - she loves the brights!

i have a supermat by tinylove, its amazing. its seriously big lol and i can take it outside when its nice for me and LO to sit on and gives him a nice big space to roll around on when hes big enough. hes only interested at looking in the mirror on it atm though lol

I got a black & White playmat as that is meant to be really good early on. LO loved it :) For naps/chill we used a thick pastel blanket (he wouldn't nap in a cot or basket)

We got two play mats. We bought the baby einstein neptune play mat, which although stupidly expensive for what it is was our best buy along with his bumbo. We also bought a neutral one from Mamas and Papas. We used this as our upstairs one (quiet time) and it was easy to pack up and take with us to other peoples houses. He liked both, but he loved his einstein one, especially the octopus.

I have a bright stars play mat which has lots of bright colours and also lots of black and white which is meant to help their eyes focus early on. Think it cost about £50, but Lo is starting to love it now.

I've got a beige and brown one with teddies on from M&P's. LO was happy with his, until she was 3 months old then got a bir bored so I took off the toys that were neutral and put some bright toys on there instead. She loved it :D Sadly she's getting fed up with the playmat in general now. She's realised if she's sitting up everything's a lot more interesting so i'm currently looking at getting her a jumparoo!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->