Please help, subchorionic bleed? 7 weeks? what now?

ashley2pink

Mom to 4 girls
Reaction score
About 8 hours ago I had brownish red spotting. I am 7w2d. Of course it completely freaked me out and I start bawling. My husband takes me to the ER where I get a transvaginal ultrasound and there is a heartbeat! 130bpm. But as much as I'd hoped it would be, it wasnt as reassuring as I was thinking it would be. My Dr. tells me part of my placenta(or maybe he said gestational sac??) has torn away from my uterus which is probably what is causing the spotting. He said it is a subchorionic bleed. Do I even have a placenta yet or much of one?? Anyway I tried doing research on it and just kept getting more freaked out, because its something you can have your entire pregnancy which can lead to early miscarriage or even late miscarriage or preterm birth if it doesnt heal.
My Dr. said either it will heal on its own, or it will completely tear out and I will miscarry.
Also, another worrisome thing: I am positive of when I ovulated. At the most I am a day off on calculating. So I should have been 7w2d, but baby only measures 6w5d. Ya not huge difference but at so early it seems like a rather large of a variance in size! I took opk's and only had sex the day before I ovulated and not again for week and a half. Also I got my bfp at 10 dpo. So if the ultrasound is right then I got my bfp at 6 dpo? Not likely. Im just so worried, I want this baby so much and I hope everything goes perfectly from here on out and I deliver at full term a healthy baby.
I go back on Tuesday for another ultrasound to see whats happening with the tear or whatever it exactly is.
Any help on this matter will be appreciated

Heya, so sorry to hear this hun.

I haven't a clue what this subterranean bleed means though, but someone on b'n'b hopefully will.

I am praying for you and your little baby to both be ok :hugs::hugs:

don't worry too much... have a good rest... i have bled a lot in all my pregnancies, but everything's ok... yes, i had them earlier (@ 33 weeks & 37 weeks), but they just fine...

but still i'm worried everytime i saw blood on my panties... still went to dr for check-up... dr gave me an injection (hormone) & prescribed duphaston, to strenghten the womb & reduce the risk of misscarriage... and i've been given 2 days medical leave, to make sure the bleed stop...

just make sure you have plenty of rest, and hope everything will be ok... take care...

Anybody else experience this? I have been looking online and am confused at the information. Reading others experiences kinda freaks me out! Though there are some good ones too. But I did find somewhere that said women who have SCH have 1-3% chance of miscarrying so that was reassuring. Ahhh, I just hope this takes care of itself and it wont affect my pregnancy.

Ok I have the SAME THING! I was sure of my dates and I thought I was 8 +3 and they said I was 7+6 or something. Sounds like we are having THE EXACT same situation. The doctor didnt really tell me too much since it was in the Emergency Room.

He just said it was common (googling says otherwise) and to pretty much rest and not to lift my LO (so I sent her to her grandparents for a week)

You know the EXACT day of ovulation... but do you know the exact day you implanted? Or how long it took your little blastocyst to travel down your fallopian tube?

Chances are those are a nope... which means, a 4 day difference in your dates right now, isn't a big deal. So A) don't worry about your dates.

P.S- Babies grow inside at different rates, just like they grow outside at different rates.

As for the bleed. There is no easy way to put this, especially as you've already researched on your own. Yes, a SCH can lead to an increased risk of miscarriage. Yes, it can lead to a weakening of the gestational sac, (where the bleed was prior), which can rupture later in pregnancy and cause pre-term labour. Yes, it can lead to a placental abruption later.

BUT... those are the worst case scenarios, and aren't necessarily what is going to happen to you. Alot depends on the size and placement of the bleed. If it is very large, then of course your chances of these other things happening, increases.

SCH's can heal themselves, and many do! They either become reabsorbed, or they will slowly bleed themselves out, which you will see as vaginal bleeding. Your best chances at helping yours to heal are to take it easy. Keep your feet up as much as possible. Don't lift anything over, say, 5 pounds. Some people suggest eating alot of protein to help your gestational sac become stronger. Some people suggest drinking lots of water to help dilute the blood, as blood is an irritant to the uterus.

So, an SCH is not as bad as it seems at the beginning... I had a diagnosis of one with my son, and yes, he was born early (due to suspected IC, so NOT SCH). I was told it eventually healed. I was on bedrest from about 6 weeks to 11 weeks, then again (due to more bleeding), from 11-12 weeks, then again for the 13th week, due to a car accident. I was also diagnosed with a small one with this pregnancy. I had a half teaspoon of blood come out around 7.5 weeks, and at 8 weeks, there was no SCH visibile on the screen. I have had no bleeding since, (thank God).

Thanks for that info! Like the OP I haven't had much info from the doc I saw.

i had one with subchonic hematoma with Trystan started around 9 weeks(now 13 months old ) i will tell you it was scary because i was bleeding like a pig and i had a lots of blood clots as well ..once i thought i had lost him in the shower...like you i went many times to the ER and everytime we saw him dancing around etc...
i will said one thing..most time the hematoma does get reabsorb by your body and you go on with a "normal " pregnancy mine did around 28 weeks...as long as you are not experiencing any cramps you should be fine ..the bleed it is just bleeding away and it is not a MC...

i think we had a thread in the pregnancy with complications for people with hematoma ....good luck sweetie :)

Thanks to all who have responded. So I am googling and its like an emtional roller coaster of info! Some info is good and has me feeling better, then others just scare me so bad, and make me wonder how I'm going to get through this. The Dr. at the ER also told me that its quite common, though really it only happens in 1.3% of pregnancies. He also said many times they just go away by themselves. But that is really all he said. Which to me is just not enough info. I go see my regular OB tomorrow and hopefully things will be more clear. Today Ive been bleeding more. Not heavy, but definitely more than just spotting. Also, its red now, but from what I know of SCH you can have spotting, bleeding, clots, red, pink, brown, and it can change everyday. I just can't believe it's happening to me! What worries me so much is carrying this baby for months then lose it. It wont be the normal "Im in the 2nd trimester and can feel confident" its not fair to have to worry until either the SCH dissapears or your baby is born healthy. I have no control over it!
All, I can do is pray, pray, pray.
I found some studies online where they did a study on women with SCH during pregnancy and those without it during pregnancy. It really didnt get me feeling good! It concluded there is an increased risk of miscarriage, placental abruption, preterm birth, and stillbirths with those with SCH. Is that assuming the SCH doesnt go away? I have no idea. In never stated about the women whose SCH dissapeared. It only studied the size(larger was worse), and what week the SCH was diagnosed(after 8 weeks less miscarriages about 6%, before 8 weeks about 13%. But what freaks me out the most is the stillbirth. I had difficulties finding out the total increase of them with SCH. But I also read where Dr's posted saying SCH does not cause miscarriages or stillbirths. Im assuming thats with their experience in dealing with it.
I just dont know what to think!

^ Thats exactly what the ER doc said to me. :hugs:

I see my doc on Wednesday. We will have to fill each other in! I know you have 2 kids, can you try not to lift them and lay around as much as possible?

Girls here is the link you will find here in the Forum under Pregnancy group..a lots of us had SCH and we had our beautiful babies now and some are new like you ..you will find a lot of support and answer in here more then in the first trimester...

https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnancy-groups/142576-sch-group-subchorionic-hematoma.html

Okay, the thing is this.... My ultrasound tech (who I trust with my life!! He has seriously done about 40 of my ultrasounds in the past 8 years), said this about SCH. Every woman before 12 weeks gestation, maybe 13, will have signs of blood in her uterus. EVERY WOMAN. So... Drs and techs don't really point it out ever, UNLESS there is a significant amount.

The reason for this blood is usually implantation. In every pregnant woman, an egg must rip through the lining of your uterus, and it must burrow into the lining of your uterus, in order to link up with you and give you your positive test. Well... when it rips through... it can cause bleeding. Not just 'can' cause bleeding... it WILL cause bleeding.

For some women, this may not be much. It might never come out, and it might eventually get reabsorbed. On a scan, it will just show as a trace amount of blood. But it is there, and they see it. They just don't feel the need to tell you about it.

For some people, there will be a bit more blood. No one knows why really. Maybe you are a bleeder. Maybe the blastocyst didn't like it's first spot, so it detached itself and reattached itself a little ways over. So now you have a bit more blood. Maybe your little one is trying to burrow in deeper than other, so you get more blood. And maybe, the little one pulls away a bit after it attaches, which can cause a build up of blood behind it, as it will bleed like any normal cut in your body. These are all varying reasons for the presence of blood in your uterus before 12-13 weeks.

Now, like I said, alot of times, there won't be much blood at all, so for the sake of the sanity of the patient, no one says a damn thing. And most times, that scant amount of blood will reabsorb without you ever knowing anything. Sometimes it will come out in the form of spotting or light bleeding. Sometimes, if there is more blood, it will be a little more bleeding than you want to see.

Now, if they diagnose a SCH, then they are probably seeing a bit more blood in there than they usually do. But there is scale for this, as there is with anything. Even if you do have a SCH in there, they still might not say anything if its small. They just don't see the need to worry you. Other's will tell you so you can decide what is your best course of action is, IE/ bedrest.

So, if you want to think about it logically, every woman has a type of SCH from implantation. It's just, for some women, it never amounts to a damn thing.

Now when you read reports of SCH's causing miscarriages etc... yes, it is almost, not quite, but almost exclusively as a result of a large hematoma. I forget the scale, but we are talking about bleeds that span many, many centimeters. With those one's, there is no healing taking place, which is bad, and this accumulation of blood can cause further seperation of the placenta, or the sac, from the uterine wall. In some cases, the blood actually starts to take up the room the baby needs to grow, and it will cause fetal growth restriction, which will lead to demise in most instances. But once again, you are usually talking about large bleeds with those cases.

So really, the best thing to do is get another scan to see the size and location of the bleed. You also, obviously, want an assessment on the babies condition. Until you can get this thoug, take it easy. Drink lots of water. Keep your feet up. Don't stand up too long. Don't lift anything too heavy. Think about a cut you have had. When did it keep bleeding, and when did it stop? It kept bleeding as long as your heart was pumping hard and it was being kept open. It started clotting and healing once the load on your heart was decreased, and it was elevated. So do the same thing for your hematoma.

Thanks Sherri81. I have had 2 healthy previous pregnancies and never bled, so I know something is amiss this time, but I know I have a great chance of a positive outcome!
How far along are you blackberry?? I'm glad I have someone I can relate to even though I wish it was for something better than SCH. I just found a study after searching for one that is really informational and it def has me feeling better!! And ya I have a 4.5 yr old and 2 yr old. No, I cant hold them. Which isnt a prob with my older, but my younger is still my baby and likes to be held. I can still cuddle her, though now I am scared to have her push on my belly! Its hard anyway since I have pretty bad nausea and cant stand anything putting pressure on my mid section! I am trying my best to take it easy. I was told no hard housework, or lifting anything heavier than a gallon of milk. I have read drinking alot of water(like what you said Sherri) helps because it takes away the irritation from the blood being in your uterus, which can cause cramping and later on contraction. Im on Pelvic rest also. I agree we need to check up on eachother! Keep me posted on your SCH and I will keep you posted on mine.
Also thanks Miel for the group link!
Blackberry and anyone else wanting to read the study I found on SCH to be very helpfu,l here is the link: Its kinda long, but read!

https://journals.lww.com/greenjourn..._Detected_Subchorionic_Hemorrhage_and.11.aspx

I awoke today with hardly any nausea!! Im freaked! I have had it so bad for the past week and I woke today to feeling almost nothing. I have my ultrasound this afternoon, and Im praying my baby is okay.

I had my ultrasound yesterday and baby's doing good! Heart rate 150, I also caught up by 3 days. I was measuring 7w3d yesterday and 2 days earlier at 6w5d. So my due date is Sep.10. We could see a pocket of blood that will either bleed or be absorbed in my body. I am praying this is something that can be healed very soon, and I can go on with this pregnancy with no complications.
I have no idea why my nausea wasn't bad yesterday morning and afternoon. It did come back later, but still not as intense. Even today I'm feeling better than I normally do!

Glad your little bambino is doing ok! :hugs:
I am 9 weeks today, gotta adjust my ticker.
My doc couldnt pull up my us from the er so he couldnt really tell me much.

I am getting another scan on feb 17 so i guess i will see how it is then. :hugs:

My Dr. said he is going to give me an ultrasound every week, Im guessing until it goes away? He said he didnt want me worrying for weeks on end between visits, so he will see me weekly instead and give me free ultrasounds!

I'm not even sure what I have, all the ER doc said was I had a slight tear in the placenta. :? I wish I thought to ask more questions! Thats so good that you will get a weekly ultrasound :D

Started bleeding again yesterday. Not that I was assuming I was done with this, but just hoping!! I go for another ultrasound tomorrow and hope the hematoma will be smaller in size. How are all the rest of you?

I haven't had another ultrasound or really anything to say my baby is ok :( but i havent had any bleeding whatsover since that first bit.

:hugs: Hope your ultrasound goes good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->