Please read if you HAVEN’T had the flu shot already!

The past 3 winters I have been pregnant, The first year I was offered it but my MW suggested i didnt have it. We spent awhile discussing the pros and cons and decided as i was due very soon and i probably wouldnt get it in time anyway, and based in my past reactions, that it "wasnt best for me". So i didnt have it, I didnt get flu, which I have never had, people mistake what flu really is, very few people actually get flu and if you do you are indeed poorly.

Last year, i decided i would have it, after a lot of pressure from my mum, but wanted to wait until I was past 12 weeks, but my baby died a few days short of that, im so glad i didnt or i would have wrongly blammed the vaccine for that.

This year I have a new MW who basically didnt know, i have spent time reseraching, speaking to medical professionals, im a nurse, and again have decided its not for me.

As for laying in hospital dying of flu, would i regret it? possibly, i could get the flu jab and still get the flu and die though.

its not about be thinking, oh its some horrible vaccine that will affect me or my babies, its more about just not wanting it. i dont think it will affect my baby, from what i understand its de-activated and doesnt cross the placenta, so babies WONT get any protection from it.

Its more the fact that i do feel ill after having it, im only 30 weeks pregnant but its twins so in reality its any time, but the time i could get the vaccine which is end of NOV my babies WILL be here, so no point, even if i wanted it my babies will be here before, and if i could get it sooner, i dont want to feel ill giving birth.

I have had the flu jab, for many years as a nurse, but ALWAYS felt ill, nothing to do with the vaccine, just my reaction to it.

I dont think its a killer vaccine, i just dont think its right for me due to circumstances each time.

Also, I have had a pregnancy with lots of complications, i had SURGERY at 17 weeks pregnant with these twins, I have had loads of drugs pumped into me, many which are not classed as safe in pregnancy, Ive been very very poorly, but it was life and death and i didnt have an option, hopfully my babies havent been affected.

If I had been due a month later, my desicion may have been differnt.

Sigh...these threads always get so heated :wacko:

I won't be getting my flu vaccine and I have pretty severe asthma...I need my inhaler 3 times a day. I've never gotten the flu vaccine and I've never gotten the flu either. During flu season I just up my intake of vitamin D (a natural immune booster) and vitamin C and I'm always fine :) I don't even get a cold. My son won't be getting his shot either nor will DH.

I agree with the others, this is just a personal choice and there's good information on both ends of it. I don't think anyone should be criticized for their decision. Thanks for posting this info! :flower:

I didn't get the flu jab when I was pregnant as I didn't trust them at the time as they had just banned the swine flu vaccine so I didn't want to take any risks. I never get the jab usually but I'm not high risk anyway. Don't know if I would get it if I get pregnant again, I can see both sides of the argument.

The past 3 winters I have been pregnant, The first year I was offered it but my MW suggested i didnt have it. We spent awhile discussing the pros and cons and decided as i was due very soon and i probably wouldnt get it in time anyway, and based in my past reactions, that it "wasnt best for me". So i didnt have it, I didnt get flu, which I have never had, people mistake what flu really is, very few people actually get flu and if you do you are indeed poorly.

Last year, i decided i would have it, after a lot of pressure from my mum, but wanted to wait until I was past 12 weeks, but my baby died a few days short of that, im so glad i didnt or i would have wrongly blammed the vaccine for that.

This year I have a new MW who basically didnt know, i have spent time reseraching, speaking to medical professionals, im a nurse, and again have decided its not for me.

As for laying in hospital dying of flu, would i regret it? possibly, i could get the flu jab and still get the flu and die though.

its not about be thinking, oh its some horrible vaccine that will affect me or my babies, its more about just not wanting it. i dont think it will affect my baby, from what i understand its de-activated and doesnt cross the placenta, so babies WONT get any protection from it.

Its more the fact that i do feel ill after having it, im only 30 weeks pregnant but its twins so in reality its any time, but the time i could get the vaccine which is end of NOV my babies WILL be here, so no point, even if i wanted it my babies will be here before, and if i could get it sooner, i dont want to feel ill giving birth.

I have had the flu jab, for many years as a nurse, but ALWAYS felt ill, nothing to do with the vaccine, just my reaction to it.

I dont think its a killer vaccine, i just dont think its right for me due to circumstances each time.

Also, I have had a pregnancy with lots of complications, i had SURGERY at 17 weeks pregnant with these twins, I have had loads of drugs pumped into me, many which are not classed as safe in pregnancy, Ive been very very poorly, but it was life and death and i didnt have an option, hopfully my babies havent been affected.

I'm sure your babies will be fine :hugs: my SIL who is a nurse told me that babies that have a tough time in the womb tend to come out strong, and that certianly was the case with Maria. I had surgery as well (I think I was 27 weeks pregnant at the time) and numerous other potentially dangerous procedures - each time I was told the baby could die - and all kinds of strong meds - but Maria is such a strong healthy baby!

I didn't get the flu jab when I was pregnant as I didn't trust them at the time as they had just banned the swine flu vaccine so I didn't want to take any risks. I never get the jab usually but I'm not high risk anyway. Don't know if I would get it if I get pregnant again, I can see both sides of the argument.

I'm sure your babies will be fine :hugs: my SIL who is a nurse told me that babies that have a tough time in the womb tend to come out strong, and that certianly was the case with Maria. I had surgery as well (I think I was 27 weeks pregnant at the time) and numerous other potentially dangerous procedures - each time I was told the baby could die - and all kinds of strong meds - but Maria is such a strong healthy baby!

Thanks hun, im fairly sure they are both unaffected, the gyn's told me the risk wasnt as high as the gastro team were making out. The fact is im 30 weeks and they are both alive, moving, growing etc!:happydance:

Sorry you have had such a hard time too, its a tough time when your pregnancy doesnt run "normally" isnt it? Glad your baby is well! :D

Thanks hun, im fairly sure they are both unaffected, the gyn's told me the risk wasnt as high as the gastro team were making out. The fact is im 30 weeks and they are both alive, moving, growing etc!:happydance:

Sorry you have had such a hard time too, its a tough time when your pregnancy doesnt run "normally" isnt it? Glad your baby is well! :D

I probably would have panicked more with what the doctors were warning me about if I wasn't in so much pain.

It really is tough, kind of puts me off having another one even though I would one :(

Are you getting extra check ups now because of what happened? They gave me regular scans afterwards to make sure she was doing ok.

I had the flu vaccine prior to getting pregnant as I had the flu a few months before and it was truly horrific as it turned into a bad case of chest infection. The way I see it is after the first world war there was an epidemic of the spanish flu where millions died, now the amount that die yearly is relatively small and I think its because of the vaccination. I think the majority of people who have had the flu are pro vaccination as we know how horrific it can be and I know If there is anything to reduce the risk of it then I'll take it

I probably would have panicked more with what the doctors were warning me about if I wasn't in so much pain.

It really is tough, kind of puts me off having another one even though I would one :(

Are you getting extra check ups now because of what happened? They gave me regular scans afterwards to make sure she was doing ok.

Yeah, i was the same, they were warning me how i could lose the babies but between the pain and the fact doing nothing would also harm or kill the babies i didnt see any option.

I didnt have any follow up, my consultant wanted the gyns to re-admit me to recover and make sure they were ok, but they were usless.

I had extra scans, but due to massive bleeds and having twins, im consultant led due to the twins but never seem to see the same doctor, so everytime have to explain the whole scenrio again :wacko:

I had the flu vaccine prior to getting pregnant as I had the flu a few months before and it was truly horrific as it turned into a bad case of chest infection. The way I see it is after the first world war there was an epidemic of the spanish flu where millions died, now the amount that die yearly is relatively small and I think its because of the vaccination. I think the majority of people who have had the flu are pro vaccination as we know how horrific it can be and I know If there is anything to reduce the risk of it then I'll take it

It's mainly because we have clean water, better waste management, better medical care, better diet, better living conditions, and more accessible health care. Rather, those factors should also be taken into consideration and not JUST the vaccine.

If I wasn't pregnant I'd consider getting vaccinated, but probably wouldn't since you can still get it anyway.

Yeah, i was the same, they were warning me how i could lose the babies but between the pain and the fact doing nothing would also harm or kill the babies i didnt see any option.

I didnt have any follow up, my consultant wanted the gyns to re-admit me to recover and make sure they were ok, but they were usless.

I had extra scans, but due to massive bleeds and having twins, im consultant led due to the twins but never seem to see the same doctor, so everytime have to explain the whole scenrio again :wacko:

:hugs: thats annoying, I had to see different doctors each time too but they always checked my file so I didn't have to explain things again

On topic: I think I've got the flu now, feel absolutely terrible - wish I had got the flu shot :haha:

It's mainly because we have clean water, better waste management, better medical care, better diet, better living conditions, and more accessible health care. Rather, those factors should also be taken into consideration and not JUST the vaccine.

If I wasn't pregnant I'd consider getting vaccinated, but probably wouldn't since you can still get it anyway.

But then again I was breastfed til the age of 4, I'm very healthy, clean, have a really good diet, I have a big ocd of washing my hands regularly yet I still had the flu. Even the healthiest person can contract it. I know the flu vaccine does not eradicate the flu but it helps to lower the risks

:hugs: thats annoying, I had to see different doctors each time too but they always checked my file so I didn't have to explain things again

On topic: I think I've got the flu now, feel absolutely terrible - wish I had got the flu shot :haha:

Hope you feel better soon x

After spending the day in the NICU today visiting my new cousin, I do not regret one bit getting my flu vaccine. Knowing that I protected my baby from getting the flu by getting the flu shot makes me know I made the right decision. Everyone will have differing opinions, and you can find biased research whichever way you want to argue the matter. Everyone needs to just do their own research and make an informed decision, or for once just trust your doctor - it's not like they live on the streets and have no idea what they are doing, after all. :flower:

I had the swine flu jab when pregnant with Madeline (which was just a variation on the yearly flu vaccine - this also changes every year to accommodate the most common strain of flu as it mutates by the season). I had absolutely no qualms about having the vaccination after doing my research (and I have the benefit of having a friend whose father is a paediatric consultant), and would do exactly the same again. But I totally agree with choice, and respect the decision of those who choose not to have it.

As many have stated - there are no studies on pregnant women and any form of medical substance due to ethics. The safety of each drug is assessed over years. Nothing can be said to be 100 per cent safe to use in pregnancy - even things like Gaviscon!

One thing that does strike me though, is that pregnant women have been having the flu jab for a while now, meaning data will be available relating to fetal deformities, miscarriage etc. I can't help but think that if there was an obvious link to the injection harming unborn babies that they would declare it unsafe based on this cumulative data. Looking back at the Thalidomide drug - this was introduced in the UK in 1958 as a treatment for morning sickness, and was withdrawn in 1961. It affected about 2,000 UK babies - which is (thankfully), a very small percentage of the babies that were born. But the link was discovered, despite less sophisticated ways of monitoring, and the drug withdrawn. Sadly it was too late for many - but the harm was identified and the drug withdrawn. The drug did not even get permission to be marketed in the US for use in reducing the effects of morning sickness.

My feeling is that if the risks were high of complications during pregnancy from the flu jab, this would have been documented, highlighted and the vaccination banned from use in pregnant women, as Thalidomode was 50 years ago.

BabyJayne,

The addition of the H1N1 vaccine is one cause for concern. It's only been out for two years. Other concerns are the undocumented number of pregnant women who have died from H1N1 in the U.S. and the undocumented number of pregnant women adversely affected by the vaccine. The CDC is doing a three year study on fetal harm related to the H1N1 vaccine but that won't be released until next year, so we won't really know until then. It took three years for Thalidomode to be pulled. As for the 'regular' vaccine, the ACOG claims that over the past few decades there haven't been any proven adverse affects on pregnant women. What concerns me is the lack of scholarly articles supporting this. The ACOG claims these articles exist, but I haven't had any real luck finding them and I search for stuff like this every day (no, not on Google). No news is good news, right? I can't help being a little more skeptical.

BabyJayne,

The addition of the H1N1 vaccine is one cause for concern. It's only been out for two years. Other concerns are the undocumented number of pregnant women who have died from H1N1 in the U.S. and the undocumented number of pregnant women adversely affected by the vaccine. The CDC is doing a three year study on fetal harm related to the H1N1 vaccine but that won't be released until next year, so we won't really know until then. It took three years for Thalidomode to be pulled. As for the 'regular' vaccine, the ACOG claims that over the past few decades there haven't been any proven adverse affects on pregnant women. What concerns me is the lack of scholarly articles supporting this. The ACOG claims these articles exist, but I haven't had any real luck finding them and I search for stuff like this every day (no, not on Google). No news is good news, right? I can't help being a little more skeptical.

The addition of H1N1 did not change the basic formulation of the vaccine, it was just a new strain of flu. Every single year they tweak the vaccine for expected mutations of the flu virus. Why is H1N1 supposed to change the risks of the vaccine any more than the annual adjustments?

BabyJayne,

The addition of H1N1 did not change the basic formulation of the vaccine, it was just a new strain of flu. Every single year they tweak the vaccine for expected mutations of the flu virus. Why is H1N1 supposed to change the risks of the vaccine any more than the annual adjustments?

Exactly this. The flu jab changes every single year as the flu virus mutates. Studying the effects of the H1N1 addition is just the same as studying the effects of the flu vaccination over however many years. H1N1 does not change anything with regard the flu vaccine really - as lisaf says, why should this be any different to the annual adjustments that are made to try and combat that seasons most prevalent strain of flu?

From my understanding, H1N1 was not "just a new strain of the flu" because it has animal origins. Unlike all the thousands of human flu viruses that mutate yearly, the most recent H1N1 pandemic, as you know, originated in pigs. So you can't dismiss it as another normal addition to the vaccine. Is avian flu (H5N1) a 'normal human flu' too? No, so I'd be wary of any vaccination for that as well. These strains aren't 'normal' for us because they've had time to mutate in animal hosts, which is why the pandemics they (rarely) cause are so deadly.

Edit: Oh, and just so you know, the number of people who died from "swine flu" in 2009 in the U.S. was a mere fraction compared to the number who died from normal influenza...so if it isn't a "prevalent" virus, then do we really need it in the vaccine? I don't think so.

From my understanding, H1N1 was not "just a new strain of the flu" because it has animal origins. Unlike all the thousands of human flu viruses that mutate yearly, the most recent H1N1 pandemic, as you know, originated in pigs. So you can't dismiss it as another normal addition to the vaccine. Is avian flu (H5N1) a 'normal human flu' too? No, so I'd be wary of any vaccination for that as well. These strains aren't 'normal' for us because they've had time to mutate in animal hosts, which is why the pandemics they (rarely) cause are so deadly.

Edit: Oh, and just so you know, the number of people who died from "swine flu" in 2009 in the U.S. was a mere fraction compared to the number who died from normal influenza...so if it isn't a "prevalent" virus, then do we really need it in the vaccine? I don't think so.

Wow, you seem to have suddenly gone very defensive for some reason. We are not discussing whether we need it in the vaccine or not, so the fact that you "don't think so" is irrelevant to the discussion.

Whatever the origins, the vaccine for it was made in the same way as the seasonal flu vaccine - so essentially it was just the same as what you term a normal addition to to the vaccine. It's just a variant on it. The CDC (just referring to these as you did in an earlier post) says they are made in the same way and in the same places as the seasonal vaccine.

The CDC have completed some studies (2009-2011) and still recommend it. I think someone from there authored a report giving results on pregnant women who have had the jab, and they recommend it for pregnant women in 2011-12.

I stand by the fact that pregnant women have been having the flu jab for years, H1N1 vaccine is made in the same way, and if there was anything remotely raising concern over fetal abnormalities, miscarriage and other awful things, then they would be acting quickly, as they did with Thalidomide and withdrawing it for use in pregnant women.

I just think these facts, and they are facts, are as important as the information you disseminated in the first instance. It's personal choice at the end of the day, and if you want people to make an informed decision then both sides of the coin must be considered.

Wow, you seem to have suddenly gone very defensive for some reason. We are not discussing whether we need it in the vaccine or not, so the fact that you "don't think so" is irrelevant to the discussion.

Whatever the origins, the vaccine for it was made in the same way as the seasonal flu vaccine - so essentially it was just the same as what you term a normal addition to to the vaccine. It's just a variant on it. The CDC (just referring to these as you did in an earlier post) says they are made in the same way and in the same places as the seasonal vaccine.

The CDC have completed some studies (2009-2011) and still recommend it. I think someone from there authored a report giving results on pregnant women who have had the jab, and they recommend it for pregnant women in 2011-12.

I stand by the fact that pregnant women have been having the flu jab for years, H1N1 vaccine is made in the same way, and if there was anything remotely raising concern over fetal abnormalities, miscarriage and other awful things, then they would be acting quickly, as they did with Thalidomide and withdrawing it for use in pregnant women.

I just think these facts, and they are facts, are as important as the information you disseminated in the first instance. It's personal choice at the end of the day, and if you want people to make an informed decision then both sides of the coin must be considered.

I wasn't defensive, just adamant that the H1N1 strain is not a normal variance of the "seasonal flu". (It isn't!) Yes, pregnant women have been having the seasonal flu vaccine for quite a while, with no apparent adverse affects. The H1N1 vaccine was introduced two years ago, and there have been conflicting reports as to the number of pregnant women who died from H1N1 and there are possible discrepancies in the VAERS reports regarding fetal harm. This is the VAERS summary from 1990-2009 (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/Activities/vaers/summary-pregnant.html), before the introduction of the H1N1 vaccine. At best the CDC is still monitoring "vaccine safety"; we won't know until after the fact. There isn't currently any information available for the past two flu seasons regarding H1N1 vaccine safety; please show me these studies you found for 2009-2011. All I can find are reports of pregnant women who had H1N1 flu while pregnant, evidence supporting the "need" for the vaccine...nothing on if the vaccine is actually "safe".

The strain of H1N1 may not be a normal variant of the seasonal flu in that it was a drastic mutation, but it was still the flu and still did not change the base formulation. The strain of flu from 10 years ago probably looks as different as H1N1 does when compared to today's flu strain.

And the death rate from influenza was higher than H1N1 but the majority of people who die from influenza are in "at risk" categories already. H1N1 was big news because even those not usually at risk from severe complications of influenza were being hospitalized. The elderly were not as susceptible to it because it was an older strain the had some immunity to that younger people hadn't ever been exposed to

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->