Please read if you HAVEN’T had the flu shot already!

Ive noticed that the majority who have said yes like myself to getting vaccinated are already in a high risk group and know that the vaccination will help us and those that aren't sure (not saying all so pls don't get the humpf lol) are possibly quite healthy individuals who perhaps don't have any underlying conditions where viruses can make them have complications? If I didn't have any underlying conditions, I may choose not to have the jab, but I would still worry about swine flu! as for other vaccines, there has been a considerable rise in measles since the conspiracy started regarding the MMR in Europe, the man who decided it was unsafe, had been tried over gross misconduct and people still don't believe it's safe?

Yes, Rosey, part of my reasoning for not getting it is I feel I do not "clearly need it." Even when I had mono and was immuno-compromised I didn't get sick and the one year I did get the flu shot (because I was "scared" into getting it) I got the flu. Since I'm not at-risk and I don't have any other conditions, I don't feel like it's for me (and other reasons, too).

I have no pre existing risks and I am getting it. I get it every year. I had the flu one time and that was enough for me!

It has been quite inetresting reading this thread, but i think it is appalling the way many people view doctors.

Do you really think many of them would spend so much time and effort learning to become doctors if they didn't care? They are bright people and there are easier ways to make money.

Anyway i think you all need to remember what medical advances have done for us all- look at the 3rd world countries and the diseases they have that we no longer have- that's not down to luck! That's down to our government and medical profession trying to protect us.

As for flu, i got swine flu a few years ago , it was summer and i was perfectly healthy and i have never felt so bad- the head aches were horrendous never mind everything else and not being able to move much further then my bed and the sofa for 5 days (Luckily i got the swine flu medication) but my OH did not catch it from me.

My OH had flu a couple of weeks ago and it's been going around work, i haven't caught it - yet! I will be having the vaccination. Just because you haven't caught it yet does not mean you won't, and you have someone else to think about now.

As with everything you have to weigh up the pros with the cons- and there is nothing in life that comes with a certainty!

well, i got my flu vaccine last year whilst pregnant, and will be getting it again.
pregnancy adds a whole different scale of risks to flu, and i have asthma anyway so i am offered it every year. I got the flu one year and seriously wished id gotten the vaccine, and the way i look at it is no it doesn't prevent flu but it lowers the risk, and being that ill during pregnancy would do baby much more harm than a vaccine could.

do you realise how much doctors would risk getting sued etc if it was not safe?

put it this way, if you were offered a shot which lowered the risk of miscarriage and still birth.. would you take it? im pretty sure you would. just because it ''only'' lowers the risk.. does not in my eyes mean its not worth getting.
as i said i experienced flu on a bad level, and that was without the complications of pregnancy on top.. i for one will DEFINATELY be getting my flu shot.

but i think if people are concerned they should take it up with thier doctor or midwife who can help them weigh up the pro's and con's for themselves :flower:

The last thing pregnant women need is a thread potentiuall putting them off having a very important vaccination. I'm a high risk person anyway and have the flu jabs every year. I got H1N1 in 2009 (before a vaccine was available) and ended up in hospital. High risk groups ARE VERY HIGH RISK. The chances of severe complications if you get this highly contagious virus are HUGE and very real. People die from flu every year in these high risk groups.

Being pregnant does make you high risk and if you feel put off having the vaccination having read this be sure to speak to your GP or another health professional before making your choice. Please xx

I just need to make this point very VERY clear. Regardless of how healthy you are, how many times you've dodged flu or other viruses or whether you've NEVER had a day off work sick in your life and are 53... being pregnant in ITSELF makes you very high risk of complications IF you get flu. You are also MORE likely to catch flu as your immune system is compromised.

I am reluctant to get the flu jab now pregnant, as I have never got it before, I don't know what reaction I could have to it and I am also pretty against using any medicine stuffys, I don't even use paracetamol really ever..pregnant or not.

I just need to make this point very VERY clear. Regardless of how healthy you are, how many times you've dodged flu or other viruses or whether you've NEVER had a day off work sick in your life and are 53... being pregnant in ITSELF makes you very high risk of complications IF you get flu. You are also MORE likely to catch flu as your immune system is compromised.

Like everyone has stated before, its a personal choice. And yes, everyone knows what can happen if you catch the flu.

I am reluctant to get the flu jab now pregnant, as I have never got it before, I don't know what reaction I could have to it and I am also pretty against using any medicine stuffys, I don't even use paracetamol really ever..pregnant or not.

I've read it's not recommended to get the shot during pregnancy if you've never had it before because you don't know how you'll react to it. Doctor's recommendations, by the way.

The last thing pregnant women need is a thread potentiuall putting them off having a very important vaccination. I'm a high risk person anyway and have the flu jabs every year. I got H1N1 in 2009 (before a vaccine was available) and ended up in hospital. High risk groups ARE VERY HIGH RISK. The chances of severe complications if you get this highly contagious virus are HUGE and very real. People die from flu every year in these high risk groups.

Being pregnant does make you high risk and if you feel put off having the vaccination having read this be sure to speak to your GP or another health professional before making your choice. Please xx

I'm not telling them not to get it! I'm just asking them to read what the manufacturers say about their vaccines. If the truth hurts...it's not my fault. Again, my goal is to help the people on here make an informed decision about it.

I didn't say it was not a personal choice. It's a personal choice everyone is entitled to make and without question or needing to explain themselves. However making a point of stating the obvious can make sure everyone has all the relevant information available when making said choice.

I disagree that "everyone knows what can happen if you get flu" I certainly didn't. I knew I was high risk but not exactly what can happen and even now I;m shocked when I see statistics of how many people have died from flu each year or when I read about previous flu endemics which have created devastating losses.

It's very easy to feel that something will never happen to you because it never has before now. Pregancy however does change your body and very quickly. It can weaken even the healthiest of immune systems and a false belief that you are as healthy when pregnant as before can mean you might not really consider a vaccination or give the whole thing much thought

I've given it a WHOLE lot of thought and the flu shot just isn't for me. I also know the flu strands mutate quickly. So how do you know how effective the shot even is?

This is what I say about this whole entire subject....First leave it up to a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL to give you the facts Here in the states they have fact sheets about all vaccines they provide....Second if you are worried about the flu shot talk to your doctor about the shot and get him to give you a medical stand point on the issue and discuss your issues with the shot...Then you should make your decision based on a medical stand point...Good Luck in what ever decision you make and a H&H 9 months to you all

I posted on a thread about this before - I do not plan to get this vaccine. I have never had the flu jab before as am not in any high risk groups (except this year for pregnancy of course) and, as a couple of other posters have said, I don't know how I may react to it. I just don't fancy putting any kind of virus, de-activated or otherwise, into my system when pregnant. I have never yet had flu in my life but of course I know this doesn't mean I won't this year. But I would rather not choose to have it injected into me just in case! For example, if you've never had chickenpox or rubella, you are advised to get vaccinated BEFORE falling pregnant - they tell you to avoid conceiving for about a month or more after it. Doesn't this say something about vaccines whilst pregnant??

Another reason I have is that my OH had the flu jab last year and was really rough for several weeks afterwards! He had a bad cough he just couldn't shake off for ages that came on about a day or two after the jab - seems too much of a coincidence to me and he believes the flu jab caused it. He is advised to get the jab as he has a kidney condition that could flare up should he get a high temperature (although this hasn't flared up for about 20 years now). He is adamant he isn't getting the flu jab this year and isn't at all keen for me to have it whilst pregnant.

Overall though this is personal choice for everyone. And yes the majority of women will probably be fine after the jab. Just my personal choice not to get it x

The common cold and influenza are different diseases. I fail to see how a flu vaccine can cause a cold?
As for the chicken pox and rubella, they are live vaccines and that is the reason why they are not recommended during pregnancy.

I've given it a WHOLE lot of thought and the flu shot just isn't for me. I also know the flu strands mutate quickly. So how do you know how effective the shot even is?

You don't need to tell me how much thought you've put into it. Your choice is nothing to do with me and you shouldn't feel the need to defend you choice when it's not under question.

I couldn't give 2 figs over whether 90% on BnB chose to not get the vaccination. However when a thread like this is posted with one sided information which could sway a choice I will post the counter arguement (If it's a topic I know enough about) and try and help provide the rest of the information needed to help make a choice.

I trust the medical professionals. Flu strains do mutate very quickly but there tends to be a common strain each year which is why a new vaccine is made every year and you need to keep getting vaccinated. I do not know a single person who has been vaccinated and gone on that year to get flu (2009 aside when H1N1 was around and unvaccinated against). I do however know PLENTY who were NOT vaccinated and DID get flu. Most of these were work colleagues in a big building with air-con - where bugs travel quicker than Christmas party gossip.

That's my own experience, I don't expect it to affect anyone else's choice. However you asked the question so I have answered.

Well thats fantastic, congratulations.

this thread was clearly bound to cause arguments as people have such conflicting views =/ tbh i think it needs locking before everyone turns on eachother, but thats just my opinion..

the info posted is there (however one sided it is), take it as gospel if you really want. but people really need this info from a medically trained professional.. not copy and pasted info off the net onto a forum full of emotional hormonal pregnant women.

:dohh:

this thread was clearly bound to cause arguments as people have such conflicting views =/ tbh i think it needs locking before everyone turns on eachother, but thats just my opinion..

the info posted is there (however one sided it is), take it as gospel if you really want. but people really need this info from a medically trained professional.. not copy and pasted info off the net onto a forum full of emotional hormonal pregnant women.

:dohh:

I don't even get how it's "one sided" information. This is information taken from the manufacturer's inserts, which the CDC says, "The most reliable information about vaccine side effects can be found in the manufacturers’ vaccine package insert, vaccine information statements (VISs), or the Advisory Committee on Immunizations Practice’s (ACIP's) statements on vaccines" (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/Activities/vaers/summary-pregnant.html). I posted information from studies saying how so far there haven't been any abnormal affects from the vaccine, so YES there is info from both sides. I also include some info about the flu. It's not my opinion that these vaccines are not proven safe, it says so in the inserts. I didn't start this thread to start arguments, I started it to give women the power of information: doctors aren't handing out these inserts (unless you ASK) so I felt it necessary to provide the information here. I didn't force anyone to read it. It's here for those who are deciding whether or not to get it. I asked people who have already had the shot not to read this thread and I asked for Questions or Concerns, not nonconstructive criticism that has been starting arguments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->