Please read if you HAVEN’T had the flu shot already!

For heavens sake. Suggesting that the doctors are on some money making enterprise is quite extreme.
Here in the UK the flu vaccine is offered, free of charge, on the NHS, to all pregnant women who want it. This is funded by taxpayers money. It costs the government a lot of money to provide this for us, so if they didn't think there was any good reason they would not bother. Most of the population do not get the flu vaccine, just elderly people and those who work in healthcare and are more at risk.

If you don't want it, don't have it. your body, your choice. But unless you are a medical expert do not start scaring women about the so called risks when none have actually been identified.

i love this post :happydance:

Its a category B drug. So is the Zofran I take, tylenol etc... So I don't understand why its soo unsafe. I'm not being smart but I don't see the debate here??

AHHH, pleeeeeeeease lock this thread! It is just going round in circles!
I only ever see the same few people spouting about how 'unsafe' the flu jab is. We get it, you aren't having it because you have read some crap off the internet/trust your doctor to make decisions for you/think its some weird government conspiracy to actually infect more people with flu (????) etc etc now let everyone else make their own choice too without ramming yours down their throat!

:flower:

Some people have got a medical degree at the school of Dr Google and think we should not listen to trained professionals any more. Of course, you are under no obligation to follow medical advice you don't agree with. But I wouldn't be making decisions on my medical care by google search.

I am on a drug which says don't take in pregnancy on the leaflet. but the ONLY reason I am on this drug is to maintain my pregnancy and prevent miscarriage. Go figure.

They can't carry out wide scale random controlled medical studies on pregnant women. So they only prescribe any drug or vaccine or treatment if the benefits outweigh any unknown risk and if it has not been proven to cause defects.

This is the CDC Website about flu shots and pregnancy...AGAIN up to you whether you get it or not and please ASK your doctor if you have concerns and he/she can and will give you a FACT sheet!!!

https://www.cdc.gov/Features/pregnancyandflu/

Girls, it wont get locked unless a mod is made aware. You can inbox one but it's probably best to report a post or comment that you find offensive as this alerts the moderating team. Of course that can only be done if you DO find a post to be in breach on BnB code of conduct xx

If I may ask, what is offensive? The content of the original post or the comments on it?

I personally do not find any offensive. However for girls to be calling for it to be locked indicates others may feel differently xx

I got both the flu shot and H1N1 shot when I was pregnant with my first baby and we're both fine and healthy. She didn't get her first cold until she was 14 months old, so I'd say her immunity is pretty good.

I plan to get the flu shot this time around too. There are risks to everything in life....from vaccines to household cleaners, to whether or not you drink filtered water...I don't want to go around living in a bubble in fear of every single thing out there.

If no one wants to see it then quit commenting on it! Simple as that! Gah!

There's no reason for it to be locked.

People ARE going to have differing and strong opinions on this subject. As long as they are put across politely (not belittling one another) than there isn't a problem.

Let's stop the petty bickering and get back to the subject at hand.

I don't find any offense as everyone has their own opinions, but some women who are calling out other women that is what is offensive...I am not bashing anyone for their opinions I just want to make sure they know that they should talk to a professional with expertise before jumping into a decision as important as this!!! I never called anyone out about their opinion because it is their opinion...I didn't appreciate getting called out on my opinion, but it is whatever and I just hope that the women reading this whole thing gets the informed decision they need and not going by some research that has been copied and pasted that was not by a medical professional....No need in causing a uproar over a flu shot do what you want to do, but make sure you know the FACTS from a person who went to school for the reason of helping you and not hurting you or your unborn child....Again ladies a H&H 9 months to you all

After reading through the entire post I wonder if the people that are so anti-flu vaccine would change their minds if they did actually catch flu and ended up seriously ill?

I know this week there has been a big media drive to make pregnant women aware of the dangers of contracting flu when pregnant and urging them to be vaccinated. If there were dangers associated with vaccine then the media would be far more likely to pick up on this than anything else!! I studied pharmacology in uni and all medicines have side effects, but they can affect different people in different ways or not at all. The studies seem to show very little evidence of a direct effect of the vaccine on unborn babies, but that is my opinion and how I am interpreting the data.

I will be getting vaccinated not just for the sake of my baby but also for the sake of friends who are pregnant.

After reading through the entire post I wonder if the people that are so anti-flu vaccine would change their minds if they did actually catch flu and ended up seriously ill?

I know this week there has been a big media drive to make pregnant women aware of the dangers of contracting flu when pregnant and urging them to be vaccinated. If there were dangers associated with vaccine then the media would be far more likely to pick up on this than anything else!! I studied pharmacology in uni and all medicines have side effects, but they can affect different people in different ways or not at all. The studies seem to show very little evidence of a direct effect of the vaccine on unborn babies, but that is my opinion and how I am interpreting the data.

I will be getting vaccinated not just for the sake of my baby but also for the sake of friends who are pregnant.

I'm not trying to start a fight or another argument. I'm just saying even if I caught the flu, I would still not get vaccinated. Just personal opinion. So no need to go on a rant.

I'm not trying to start a fight or another argument. I'm just saying even if I caught the flu, I would still not get vaccinated. Just personal opinion. So no need to go on a rant.

I can assure you that I was not having a 'rant'. I was just wondering if peoples opinions may change but you have answered that question so thanks.

I wasn't necessarily saying you in general...that statement was directed towards everyone.

Well, the way I see it is you can still get the flu even if you get the vaccine. Either way you'd probably end up seriously ill. Yes, the chance is less if you are vaccinated. I'm not sure if getting sick would change my opinion or not. And the media isn't exactly the most reliable source of info...that being said, there are PLENTY of articles out there 'tying' the flu vaccine to miscarriage, fetal harm, developmental disabilities, and other things. It's a double edge sword: you can't trust everything in the media but the fact that it's there (or isn't!) says something, too.

Well, the way I see it is you can still get the flu even if you get the vaccine. Either way you'd probably end up seriously ill. Yes, the chance is less if you are vaccinated. I'm not sure if getting sick would change my opinion or not. And the media isn't exactly the most reliable source of info...that being said, there are PLENTY of articles out there 'tying' the flu vaccine to miscarriage, fetal harm, developmental disabilities, and other things. It's a double edge sword: you can't trust everything in the media but the fact that it's there (or isn't!) says something, too.

Thats what I've been trying to say! Dr's have no explanation so they chalk it up to "coinicidence"..."oh thousands of women that had her h1n1 shot and then had a miscarriage the next day is purely a coincidence" All because they can't prove anything.

Thank you for answering my question, it just struck me when reading through that nobody had given an opinion on what would happen in that situation :flower:

I know the media is not the most reliable source of information, what they are reporting on is a massive government drive called flu awareness week that is on this week, especially aimed at pregnant women who may be unaware that they are at a higher risk of developing complications if they catch flu. I may be wrong but I am unaware of any negative media reports in the UK for pregnant women having the flu vaccine. If this is wrong please correct me.

What really bothers me are the HUGE discrepancies in reported figures...and the under-reporting from the CDC. I'm still investigating this but so far it's been difficult to find a straight answer from the past two flu season...which definitely tells me something. Also, the CDC is releasing their "3 year study" of pregnancy-related vaccine issues sometime this year (hmm 2011 is almost over) but I'm still waiting on that. For all the hype about how pregnant women need to get the vaccine there is surprisingly little evidence on the CDC website about flu-related deaths and complications in pregnant women during past flu seasons. Needless to say, I'm still suspicious.

Edit: if there aren't any objections, I'll post links to non-peer reviewed articles about suspected links between the H1N1 flu vaccine and miscarriages. Since this forum got moved to the "News & Debates" section, hopefully it won't upset people too much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->