*Please Read* Obstetric Cholestasis

Hello everyone! I know this topic hasn't been active but since there is a dedicated topic for obstetric cholestasis I figure this is where I could ask...

I mentioned to my OB last week that I've been having consistent itching at night. I generally have very itchy pregnancies and recently I had some insect bites. I was referred to the lab to have liver function tests. I am not sure if bile acid tests were ordered, but the lab sent me back my liver function tests and two things are marked high. My Dr hasn't seen the labs yet and it feels like unless I nag I won't hear about them till my next appointment which would be in the first week of May.

The things marked high were Alkaline Phosphatase which from what I understand is high for a non-pregnant person, but within normal range for being in the third trimester (my levels are 154 u/l). However, SGPT(ALT) is showing as 163 u/l which seem like they should be lower even in the third trimester.

Would elevated ALT indicate obstetric cholestasis or would I have to have my bile acids tested, too? It feels frustrating that I haven't heard back after calling a few times... the Dr does have a very busy clinic but I'm feeling a bit anxious. Any thoughts?

So bile acids are usually the test that they use to diagnose. But I have heard of elevated ALT and symptoms being used to make the call. Keep us updated!

Thank you!

I actually did get a call back from the clinic and they asking me to repeat the tests on Monday.

I was diognosed 2 weeks ago. When I was 17 weeks. I'm now 19+3 and been on Ursodeoxycholic acid for the past 2 weeks.
My bile acid number was a 16 but had blood drawn on Saturday and now just waiting on those results.
My itching started really really early at 11 weeks
My poop also turned yellow and the palms of my hands and souls of my feet pitched. I went about 7 weeks with hardly no sleep and was in such a state.

Since being on the medication the itching has stopped so I am praying that's a good sign that the medication is doing its job.

I also had this and pre eclampsia in my last pregnancy but was diognosed so much later at 34 weeks then induced at 35+4.
Already been told I will have this baby early. Just praying I can make it to 35 weeks again.

This is such a scary condition and being diognosed so early is worrying.

I had those insect bites I described hon as well. How did ure latest test go

Iv had oc in previous pregnancies and starting to itch again but worried midwife will laugh at me and will just say it's cos of the heat! X

Iv had oc in previous pregnancies and starting to itch again but worried midwife will laugh at me and will just say it's cos of the heat! X

Tell her ure itching hon don't worry about her laughing because any itching esp severe itching needs to be taken seriously.
I've had ICP my last 2 pregnancies.
With our 8 year old daughter I started itching around 33 weeks and was diagnosed at 34 weeks.
I had pre eclampsia as well so was induced at 35+4 weeks with her.

And with our 21 month old son I started itching at 11 weeks.
And I was diagnosed at just 17 weeks. I was so scared at the time esp with the negatively Google was spewing out.
I was put on medication for it and it helped but i got all itchy again at 28 weeks.
I was induced at 37 weeks with him.

I've been itching with this pregnancy too. Not as a intense tho.
I'm now almost 24 weeks and my bile acids and liver function is all normol. Which is good.
But if me itching gets worse I will definitely get them to so more bloods.

Ure itching mite be down to the heat hon but definitely worth mentioning to ure midwife just to be safe.

Tell her ure itching hon don't worry about her laughing because any itching esp severe itching needs to be taken seriously.
I've had ICP my last 2 pregnancies.
With our 8 year old daughter I started itching around 33 weeks and was diagnosed at 34 weeks.
I had pre eclampsia as well so was induced at 35+4 weeks with her.

And with our 21 month old son I started itching at 11 weeks.
And I was diagnosed at just 17 weeks. I was so scared at the time esp with the negatively Google was spewing out.
I was put on medication for it and it helped but i got all itchy again at 28 weeks.
I was induced at 37 weeks with him.

I've been itching with this pregnancy too. Not as a intense tho.
I'm now almost 24 weeks and my bile acids and liver function is all normol. Which is good.
But if me itching gets worse I will definitely get them to so more bloods.

Ure itching mite be down to the heat hon but definitely worth mentioning to ure midwife just to be safe.

Thank you for replying will give her a message now because I had a lot of problems before I didn't want to go through the oc again so here's hoping it's just the heat!! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"