*Please Read* Obstetric Cholestasis

Bile acids get sent off here and take two weeks to get back. The other bloodwork they do includes alt and alkaline phosphate. (As well as others)... Anyway, research concludes alkaline phosphate is indicative of OC when HIGHLY elevated, and I even found a range for AP in the different trimesters. Anyway, mine is still in range and waiting on bile acids to come back although the itching has lightened up tremendously. Makes me nervous though... If it comes and goes like it did last time... Anyway thanks ladies!

This board is so quiet... I was the last poster lol. My levels came back slightly high so was OC although seemingly mild, the itching has gotten worse this past week or two. My doctors want to induce at 37 weeks which I know is pretty standard, and what we did with our daughter. My question now... 37 weeks is December 22!! I've asked for repeat bloods and playing by ear, but I would love to hold off til December 26, 37 weeks 4 days. Is that outrageous? Totally unreasonable? I'm going to try to research a bit and check this long thread to see if I can find moms who weren't induced right at 37... I don't want to endanger babe, obviously, but would adore not being in the hospital for Christmas.

I was 37 + 3. I tried to get them to hold off a few days as my husband was the other side of the world. They said they could if that's what I wanted but suggested I move forward with the induction.

I think if you are monitored correctly and you accept 'responsibility' then it's your call.

Now I have been doing research on this. My number is way low, at least if I am interpreting my results right. In fact, I'm not really sure how I got an OC result unless my doctors depend solely on what the labs deem high. Unless of course I'm interpreting wrong, or not taking all the elevated numbers into account. Here's a screen shot of my online results (so not a full copy)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 22
So after 2 nights of itching my hands and feet (and really all over) uncontrollable I went into to get my blood taken. It came back that I have OC. My levels to determine what extent I have it won't be back until Monday or Tuesday but something showed up on my liver test to say i do have it. No one in my family has ever had it nor have I in my other 2 pregnancies so it's been kind of a surprise. I will be monitored twice this week and also have an ultrasound to determine how baby is doing and test her on breathing, muscles tone, fluid levels and weight. They will not be taking any chances and I will be meeting my daughter this week or next.

I never had it with any of my pregnancy's apart from my last and no one in my family have ever had it either. Very strange how it just comes about! Good luck Winter x

I never even heard of it til now! They say it skips generations but good god no one in my family heard of it either!! Thank you by the way.

Has anyone had an ultrasound on your liver and gallbladder with oc? I don't see the point w giving me one and not the baby!!

I had one on mine. They do it to check the organs. OC is to do with your liver so they need to check it's ok, and your gallbladder produces your biles acids so they just check everything is ok with the flow of bile. The bile acids are what make you itch with OC :) x

Thanks MMM. I get my induction date, ultrasound and hopefully other results today too so I'll update later.

Hi Everyone!

I had a quick question I was hoping someone could help me with.

Hubby and I are currently TTC#2, with our first lo I developed cholestasis and I was wondering how many of you had it with your first pregnancy and then again with following pregnancies? (Or didn't have it again?)

Any preventative measures I should be taking from the get go?

I had it with my second pregnancy and and again with my third...

Winter// I imagine the ultrasound is routine if your lft or other liver test was abnormal in addition to bile acids. Fx all is well for you!

Thanks MMM. I get my induction date, ultrasound and hopefully other results today too so I'll update later.

How did you get on? Hope you have your induction date already! X

Hi Everyone!

Hubby and I are currently TTC#2, with our first lo I developed cholestasis and I was wondering how many of you had it with your first pregnancy and then again with following pregnancies? (Or didn't have it again?)

I only had it with my third and as far as I'm aware there's nothing you can do to prevent it unfortunately. I read that a change in your diet and exercise could help prevent it but how reliable that information is I'm not sure. Good luck xx

How did you get on? Hope you have your induction date already! X

Hi Everyone!

I only had it with my third and as far as I'm aware there's nothing you can do to prevent it unfortunately. I read that a change in your diet and exercise could help prevent it but how reliable that information is I'm not sure. Good luck xx

Wednesday I will be meeting my daughter. Really did not want to be induced or in a hospital the whole time but it needs to happen. I am already 2 cm dilated and 70% effaced so she knows it time too. Thank you for all your info. I also had an ultrasound and her weight was 5lbs 9 ozs at the scan, but that can be off a bit and her lungs looked great so that's a plus.

So my bile acid level is 6.2 out of a 7....what does this mean as I don't see anyone else's numbers like this. Is this just one part of the whole test? Not to mention this was done last week. Itching seems to be worse.

I'm not sure... My bile salts were 11 the first test and then up to 27 the second test, when I was maybe 34 weeks. I'm not sure what the range is on the bile. Maybe someone will pipe in!

Oh that's fab news! Good luck for Wednesday. I was the same as you I didn't want to be in hospital either (had my heart set on another home birth).

Regarding the bile salts I'm not entirely sure tbh. When I was given my first lot of results I was told my bile acids were 154 (supposed to be less than 15 I think) and my ALT was 66 (supposed to be lower than 10 I think)

Could you maybe ask your doctor what the results mean? X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->