Plus sized & ultrasounds??

hairftsher

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm just a day shy of 12 weeks.
I have an nuchal ultrasound booked for tomorrow - I live pretty north so they don't actually do dating scans here (Weird), but they offer nuchal scan between 11-14 weeks, & it's free (yay Canada) so I opted for it just because I'm so desparately wanting to hear my baby's heartbeat & see that everything is okay. (I've had no spotting, or reason to believe that something is wrong - just a worrier by nature, I suppose).

My question is, has anybody of a larger stature had an abdominal ultrasound at 12 weeks & it's been totally okay? I'm not too keen on the idea of an internal scan.

Thanks so much, ladies!! :thumbup:

Get a vaginal ultrasound. It's really no big deal. Much less discomfort than a pap smear. You'll get a much better look at things this early if you do a vaginal ultrasound.

Yeah transvaginals aren't bad. No pain just pressure. Everything is still pretty small so it would.help you see things nicely especially if you are a bit bigger

If you go at exactly 12 weeks you run the risk of being asked to come back a week or so later so bubs is bigger.
I am plus sized and that happened to me. They told me it was because baby wasn't big enough yet but it has measured day perfect ( I did IVF so we know the exact weeks and days baby is). It was definitely because I have the dreaded 'B' shape belly and they couldn't get a clear enough picture.
You may benefit from waiting the extra week so your poor belly doesn't get pushed on for half an hour for no reason :)
That said this also happened to me at my 20 week scan. I went in at 20+4 and was asked to come back again in 2 weeks when bubs was a bit bigger so they could get the measurements they needed, so if you do have that B belly I would make all scans at least a week later than normal to save yourself the hassle of returning.

If you go at exactly 12 weeks you run the risk of being asked to come back a week or so later so bubs is bigger.
I am plus sized and that happened to me. They told me it was because baby wasn't big enough yet but it has measured day perfect ( I did IVF so we know the exact weeks and days baby is). It was definitely because I have the dreaded 'B' shape belly and they couldn't get a clear enough picture.
You may benefit from waiting the extra week so your poor belly doesn't get pushed on for half an hour for no reason :)
That said this also happened to me at my 20 week scan. I went in at 20+4 and was asked to come back again in 2 weeks when bubs was a bit bigger so they could get the measurements they needed, so if you do have that B belly I would make all scans at least a week later than normal to save yourself the hassle of returning.

This is the only time I get one, between the 11 and 14 week mark, lol. It has to be between those times for the purpose of the ultrasound.

I am plus size and had my NT scan this morning. There was no problem seeing everything using the abdominal scan.

I am on the larger side of "plus sized" and I had my NT scan a couple weeks ago and did not have any issues and had a regular ultrasound on my tummy. I asked her if my belly fat made it more difficult and she said yes it was a bit of a challenge but she would get the pics we needed it just may take a bit longer. Everything was fine and she got what she needed. :)

I have heard of techs giving women a hard time about their weight when getting this done but it should not be a big deal and they should not make you feel bad or get annoyed with you. So, if for some reason they are less than nice to you... you ask to speak to their supervisor or get someone more competent to do your ultra sound. :)

Good luck and Congrats!

I was plus size at 12 weeks and had an abdominal ultrasound because the OB couldn't find the heartbeat on the doppler. Had no issues seeing baby even though I hadn't prepared for an abdominal ultrasound during that appointment. :flower:

I am on the larger side of "plus sized" and I had my NT scan a couple weeks ago and did not have any issues and had a regular ultrasound on my tummy. I asked her if my belly fat made it more difficult and she said yes it was a bit of a challenge but she would get the pics we needed it just may take a bit longer. Everything was fine and she got what she needed. :)

I have heard of techs giving women a hard time about their weight when getting this done but it should not be a big deal and they should not make you feel bad or get annoyed with you. So, if for some reason they are less than nice to you... you ask to speak to their supervisor or get someone more competent to do your ultra sound. :)

Good luck and Congrats!

I don't take well to rude people, especially concerning things that aren't their business, such as my weight. I'm a size 16, and most of my weight is carried in my legs & behind, but it's still something to worry about.
Thanks so much for your input <3 congrats to you as well!

Thank you. :)

I am a quite a bit larger than you, so I don't think you should have a problem. I also carry my weight in my lower body and it has been the worst my entire life. I guess most plus sized women are generally top heavy and it seems finding pants that fit me were never in the cards. I pretty much have had to wear long skirts my entire life cause I could never find any pants... and I'm too cheap to get them tailored. :D

You'll be fine hun. I am a size 16 as well and both pregnancies all my scans have been abdominal (except for a very early dating scan). No problems whatsoever xx

I'm bigger than you too and I also had an anterior placenta with my last pregnancy (where the placenta was all at the front instead of the back) so there was a pretty thick layer to try and see the baby through but none of the sonographers said anything horrible to me about my weight and I didn't have to have a transvaginal scan with any of my ultrasounds even the one I had at 6 weeks they could see the baby fine doing an abdominal one.

Try not to worry too much, if they can't see baby properly than I would think it was more down to their equipment than you. I didn't even get a chance to drink a lot of water with one of my scans because it was a cancellation appointment and the picture was perfectly clear.

Just wanted to thank all the ladies who were so kind & supportive!!! Turns out I'm only 10.5 weeks along, not 12 -- which I wondered if it would happen as my cycles are 34 days, not 28. Regardless, there's a baby, and a heartbeat!!! And although the tech dude pressed hard at times, there was no problems or mention of my weight. Saw the baby just fine & I return in 2 weeks for a proper nuchal.

Again, thank you so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->