Poll - how do you make yours?!? (bottles up!)

Every morning i boil enough water for 8, 7oz bottles. Pour the bottles let them cool to room temp add powder and store in fridge. Warm up with bottle warmer when he's ready for a bottle. Haven't had any problems!

Make with boiled water that has cooled for 25-30mins (so over 70 degrees), rapid cool, keep in fridge, then heat up with boiling water in a jug/beaker. When I'm out and about I put the bottles in a cool bag with ice blocks, and use my travel bottle warmer (which is just so handy, I even use if I am somewhere that could easily give me a jug of hot water).

i boil kettle about half hour before her feed is due and make up bottle it's about right by the time she is ready for it, if she wants it a bit earlier i just stand the hot bottle in cold water till it's cooled down enough

I sterilize, then fill up with boiling water. I just add scoops and then heat up as needed.

Powder formula isn't sterile (says on some of the tins) so you use boiling (or 70degree) water to kill the bacteria in the powder as well as the water. :flower:

We typically use cold filtered water (from our fridge)- then warm the water up in the bottle warmer then add the formula. But in the morning, before hubby leaves for work, he'll warm up a bunch of filtered water and put it in a container (that keeps it warm)- so all I have to do when I get up with LO is pour it out and add the formula. We also do this during the day sometimes so LO doesn't have to wait and also take the container of warm water with us on outtings. Just to keep it simple ;)

I used the microwave for just a bit to warm it at first... but then, it just felt weird to put something in the micro then give it to LO. I worried maybe it would affect the plastic bottles we use??? So we stopped using the microwave to warm anything up for her. Maybe silly, but what we do works great and I've no worries ;)

tap water in a 16 oz container, add in powder, shake, and stick in the fridge.

when it's time to feed, i pour formula into a bottle, use a bottle warmer, and feed kiddo.

when on the go, i just use room temp bottled water, add powder, shake and serve.

When I used to make formula I used to make it with boiled water cooled for 30 minutes, then either rapid cooled and given immediately or rapid cooled, put in the fridge for no more than 12 hours then warmed up in a jug of hot water-I know a lot of people microwave but I just couldn't trust it personally xx

its amazing at how advice regarding formula really varies country by country :)
i use just boiled water, add the powder, cool down rapidly and then store in the fridge with a cap on. i then put the teat on when im about to feed. i make them in advanced but only for the next 12 hours worth of feed. when i heat it up i use boiled water in a jug :).

We sterilise bottles in microwave container, then let them cool. Boil water (kettle), let it cool and then add water and powder to bottles, mixing then and shaking gently when we take out of the fridge. Put in fridge and fortunately, baby loves cool formula! However, he is very fussy about his bottles and loves the hospital NUK nipples (fortunately, were able to find at Boots!), so my OH, who bought Tommy Tippee bottles beforehand was not too impressed!

best wishes

I'm so sorry as I know this gets asked a lot!

We currently have a few ozs of cooled boiled water in bottles, then top up with boiling water to get to the right temp and then add the milk powder. It works well but OH is now worried after reading about the hot water killing the bacteria and thinks we should make bottles, rapid cool them and store in the fridge and then microwave! (we have BPA free bottles and know to shake the bottles well to remove hot spots).

I just need reassurance that our 1st method is OK, or that the 2nd method is too!!! We DO make up fresh bottles when we can, but its not always the quickest option with a hungry baby!!!

Poppy is nearly 6 weeks.

Thank you everyone! xxx

ive not read the whole thread so dont know if anyone else has already written this.... sorry if they have.....
what i plan to do is the same as you but instead of mixing the cool and the boiling water together first (hence why water is not hot enough to kill bacteria). mix the boiling water to the powder first (killing bacteria) then add the extra cooled water= perfect temp for feeding.
so for example. for a 6oz feed.
1. have 3oz of cooled boiled water ready in fridge
2. pour 3oz boiling water into feeding bootle
3. mix in 6 scoops of powder to the boiling water
4. add the cooled boiled water to make up the fluids

i dont know why more ppl dont do this method its so much easier than either using boiling water and having to wait ages for milk to cool and having a screaming hungry little one or have cold milk out of the fridge and having to wait for it to warm up

hope this helps:thumbup:

Why don't you all buy a jug for the fridge (for those of you that boil and cool) boil lots of water, fill it up, put it in the fridge and wollah, water on hand :D

I voted option 2 but I don't microwave to heat up, I use a bottle warmer or hot water in a jug.

Sorry if this is a silly question but - for those that store boiled water in the fridge and then heat in a jug of hot water, is that just to make the bottle nicer for LO? or are there benefits to having it warmed? ... hope I'm not a terrible mum for this but last night LO was really hungry so I just gave it to her cold from the fridge ... she still drunk it? :-/

Also for those that add a bit of boiling water to colled water, how much would you need for a 4oz feed? I was guessing 1oz of boiled water & 3oz of cooled? x

I use tap water, make that warm tap water. throw in 4 scoops of formula (1 scoop for 2oz here), shake and feed. Sometimes I use water from the filter on the fridge, fill it up to 8oz, microwave for 30 seconds, add the formula, shake and serve. Up until I came here, I never heard of boiling water for formula before preparing it.

Same here. I was advised not to use bottled water, tap water was recommended. I used room temp water, added the scoops of powder and shook it up. We never heated unless it was really cold.

Sorry if this is a silly question but - for those that store boiled water in the fridge and then heat in a jug of hot water, is that just to make the bottle nicer for LO? or are there benefits to having it warmed? ... hope I'm not a terrible mum for this but last night LO was really hungry so I just gave it to her cold from the fridge ... she still drunk it? :-/

Also for those that add a bit of boiling water to colled water, how much would you need for a 4oz feed? I was guessing 1oz of boiled water & 3oz of cooled? x[/QUOTE

cold milk can sometimes upset their tummy hun. Thats what i was told anyway xx

you are meant to use boiled water as it is a way of sterilising the water and killing off any germs,baceteria as it boils it. then you leave to cool down and then add formula.

you are meant to use boiled water as it is a way of sterilising the water and killing off any germs,baceteria as it boils it. then you leave to cool down and then add formula.

it was boiled, rapid cooled and then stored in the fridge, I normally warm it in a bowl of hot water to take the chill off when I add the powder, I have just done this for a few night feeds as it takes so long to cool down. During the day I make them up as I go. Tonight am going to make them from scratch though.

personaly i think as long as the waters boiled and formulas added the germs and bacteria are killed off. Night feeds must be a pain making from scratch with a hungry baby x

i make all my bottles up in the morning with boiled water and add the powder and fridge them straight away then when i need them i just warm slighty in a jug of hot water. i heard your not meant to make up and put in fridge but never came across any problems my dd and ds are both fine and so am i and that is how i was also feed.
iv never used a microwave though due to hot spots

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"